• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shipping a firearm to myself out of state

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From another thread on OCDO:

skidmark wrote:

Does this mean that when I go down to my in-laws in FL that I can UPS/FED-EX a pistol to myself to CC while visiting, c/o her mom or dad to their residence?? Niether are prohibted from owning a firearm. And would UPS/FED-EX do this? Would any carrier?

AbNo

imported post

Why not just bring it with you?

If you're driving, change how it as transported as needed.

If you're flying, lock it in a hard-box, take the bag to the check in desk for your airline, and say "Hi, I'd like to check a firearm, please." They'll walk you right through it.

It's how I brought my XD back from my parents' house in 2006.

You can even check ammunition this way.

It's how I brought several hundred .45 rounds from my parents'
house in 2007. :D

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#6

tarzan1888

imported post

I agree with the other posters.

It is far better to take the firearm with you.

I travel a lot and never have a problem.

Flying is easy, as long as you don't fly OUT of New York state. Flying in is OK, but never fly out of New York state in general or New York city in particukar.

The same goes for DC.

I have flown in and out of Baltimore OK, but not DC.

Driving is very easy. When in doubt, unload and lock in the trunk.

Flying just have it in a locked box in your suit case, declare it when you check it, sign the little card, have the agent tell TSA and off you go.

If you have questions I can give you all the particulars you need.

Tarzan

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was more asking a general question as I was trying to understand the answer to the question in the ATF Q&A, but to clarify:

We have been flying down not driving. If we were driving my CCW is good all the way down and back so it wouldn't be an issue anyway.

The cheapest airline to fly from us to them, by far, is a regional airline that does not allow the transportation of firearms by any means. The difference in cost between that airline and the next closest is almost double the cost of shipping a pistol FFL to FFL to have down there.

When skidmark posted that Q&A I thought, "Hey! What the heck does that mean exactly?? Is this another solution?" I really don't want to try to CC his 6" barrel, western style holstered .357 magnum revolver while I am down there.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hehe...My main household goods are in storage in VA.

I will NOT leave my guns.

I'm traveling arund the US.

I have a FFL-03 C&R License.

If only U-Haul knew!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
From another thread on OCDO:

skidmark wrote:

Does this mean that when I go down to my in-laws in FL that I can UPS/FED-EX a pistol to myself to CC while visiting, c/o her mom or dad to their residence?? Niether are prohibted from owning a firearm. And would UPS/FED-EX do this? Would any carrier?
1. Yes

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. Your Mom or Dad being prohibited, or not prohibited, from owning a firearm has nothing to do with this procedure. The way this is done isYOU ship it to YOURSELF in care of somebody else's address. They accept delivery but do not open the package. There is no transfer of ownership involved in this process - YOUR gun goes from YOU at home to YOU at Mom & Dad's house. When YOU get there YOU open the package and take possession of YOUR firearm.

5. Having been given the information, and provided with a link to the source of the infformation, why do you persist in thinking that you cannot do what you were shown was perfectly legall and do-able? - see link directly to source of information (Yes, I'm cranky.)

6. Call BAFTE and ask to0 be connected to Officer Schmucatelli - ask him to clarify the process. The call FEdEx or UPS (whichever you plan on using - do not call the other one) and ask them if they know anything about what Officer Schmucatelli just told you.

7. Be glad you get to avoid South Carolina in your drive from home to the 'rents in FLA - although resding South of the Border billboards does help pass the time while navigating I-95S.

8. Yes, I'm still cranky. I'm beginning to think it's my job.

stay safe.

skidmark

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Skidmark, first, thank you for the information and your input. I did go to the source page and read it. I was asking because it is opposite anything I have ever read before on any firearm forum and I thought that maybe I was misunderstanding something. Also, even if the plain reading of the answer is correct, I have always read that Fed-EX/UPS will only ship a firearm to an FFL leading me to wonder if this is one of those things where yeah, you can do it, but no shipper will do it thereby making it ok in theory but impossible in practice. Last winter when I went down there I did some checking on this and everyone I talked to at gun shops and on forums told me I had to ship it FFL to FFL.

Has anyone ever done this and if so, who did you ship it through?

LEO 229

imported post

I am going to be taking vacation this summer and will be flying. This will be my first time flying and declaring my gun.

I would only mail it as a last resort. Too easy to get lost or stolen. Not that the baggage handler could not take it but it will not be as easy.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Skidmark, first, thank you for the information and your input. I did go to the source page and read it. I was asking because it is opposite anything I have ever read before on any firearm forum and I thought that maybe I was misunderstanding something. Also, even if the plain reading of the answer is correct, I have always read that Fed-EX/UPS will only ship a firearm to an FFL leading me to wonder if this is one of those things where yeah, you can do it, but no shipper will do it thereby making it ok in theory but impossible in practice. Last winter when I went down there I did some checking on this and everyone I talked to at gun shops and on forums told me I had to ship it FFL to FFL.

I have shipped firearms to myself via FedEx, but it has been quite some time ago.

Call Valhallah, or Front Site, or a hunting lodge, and ask them which shipper their clients use, and how they fare. Call FedEx and UPS and find out what they have to say. Sure beats listening to Gun Shop Commandos and Intraweb Dweebs as your source of definitive information.

And I remain cranky.

stay safe.

skidmark

tarzan1888

imported post

skidmark wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Skidmark, first, thank you for the information and your input.  I did go to the source page and read it.  I was asking because it is opposite anything I  have ever read before on any firearm forum and I thought that maybe I was misunderstanding something.  Also, even if the plain reading of  the answer is correct, I have always read that Fed-EX/UPS will only ship a firearm to an FFL leading me to wonder if this is one of those things where yeah, you can do it, but no shipper will do it thereby making it ok in theory but impossible in practice.   Last winter when I went down there I did some checking on this and everyone I talked to at gun shops and on forums told me I had to ship it FFL to FFL.

I have shipped firearms to myself via FedEx, but it has been quite some time ago.

Call Valhallah, or Front Site, or a hunting lodge, and ask them which shipper their clients use, and how they fare.  Call FedEx and UPS and find out what they have to say.  Sure beats listening to Gun Shop Commandos and Intraweb Dweebs as your source of definitive information.

And I remain cranky.

stay safe.

skidmark

Best advice yet.

Tarzan

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skidmark wrote:
Sure beats listening to Gun Shop Commandos and Intraweb Dweebs as your source of definitive information.

And I remain cranky.

stay safe.

skidmark
I was asking you ... :uhoh:

*I will hide for a bit and wait for the crankiness to dissipate before checking on response to this* :p

tarzan1888

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
.....The cheapest airline to fly from us to them, by far, is a regional airline that does not allow the transportation of firearms by any means.  The difference in cost between that airline and the next closest is almost double the cost of shipping a pistol FFL to FFL to have down there......

Man that's a hard one.

I'm sort of hard headed, and I probibly wouldn't fly with the bliters.

Have you checked sale's on South West?

I would also check off peak flights and those discount fares.

One time I flew to Florida. I flew into Orlando instead of Miami and got the flight for 1/3 of what a flight to Miami cost.

I did the samething when I had to go to Tampa too.

It's worth a try. I had to rent a car anyway.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Tarzan