• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bob Barr announces bid for president

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080512174415.16yxf74a&show_article=1

Former US congressman Bob Barr on Monday announced plans to run for president on the Libertarian Party's ticket, in a move some analysts say could hurt Republican presumptive nominee John McCain.

"My name is Bob Barr and I'm a candidate for the presidency of the United States of America," said the former Republican lawmaker, who played a key role in the congressional impeachment of former president Bill Clinton.
Barr said he was running because there was not "currently or anywhere on the horizon" any candidate who understood the principles of fiscal conservatism and basic principles on which he said America was founded.
The former Georgia congressman, who announced his plans at a press conference here, must first win the Libertarian Party's nomination before throwing himself into the 2008 field for real.

The 59-year-old said he was not concerned about the prospect of damaging McCain, possibly among conservative voters whom the Republican candidate has had trouble courting.
"If Senator McCain ... does not succeed in winning the presidency ... it will be because Senator McCain did not present, and his party did not present, a vision, an agenda, a platform and a series of programs that actually resonated positively with the American people."
Barr believes spending by the US government is running out of control and says federal authorities have seized powers not granted by the constitution, and believes US forces should be brought home from Iraq.

The Libertarian Party stands for non-interference by the US government in the personal and business lives of Americans, and advocates lower taxes, a smaller government and more individual freedom.
Independent and third parties have faced a tough task in modern US election history of breaking the dominance of the Democratic and Republican parties, though several candidates have played a spoiler role.
Many Democrats still blame consumer advocate Ralph Nader, who has already announced a 2008 run, for depressing former vice president Al Gore's vote in 2000, and helping George W. Bush to capture the presidency.
Some Republicans also blame businessmen Ross Perot, whose idiosyncratic run in 1992 captured 19 percent of the vote, for helping Bill Clinton unseat the first president George Bush.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

With Ralph Nader and Bob Barr in the race (assuming they both do run and are on the ballot in most states) will make this race even more unpredictable.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The Yahoo headline I saw was:

"Barr Announces Bid for President" and my heard stopped as I thought:

Roseanne.jpg

tarzan1888

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
Just a speed bump on obama's road to the Whitehouse :shock:

Tarzan
If only Stalin were still alive, we would get someone more conservative to run.

Unfortunately I don't think the people (and I use that term loosely) would even see it then.

You put a big D on his forehead and have him parrot "change" "change" "change", and they would vote for him. :banghead:

Tarzan

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
Just a speed bump on obama's road to the Whitehouse :shock:

Tarzan
If only Stalin were still alive, we would get someone more conservative to run.

Unfortunately I don't think the people (and I use that term loosely) would even see it then.

You put a big D on his forehead and have him parrot "change" "change" "change", and they would vote for him. :banghead:

Tarzan
:( I think you are right.

FogRider

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Anybody but a demotic-crap or their RINO agitators.
I have to say, this is one of the attitudes I hate the most. The enemy of my enemy can still be my enemy. I see the same thing happening with McCain. Way to many people are willing to put up with a Bush Jr. clone, just because he doesn't have that D next to his name. Whe the hell cares what his policies are, or what they are likely to do to the country, he's not a "demotic-crap" and that's good enough.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FogRider wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Anybody but a demotic-crap or their RINO agitators.
I have to say, this is one of the attitudes I hate the most. The enemy of my enemy can still be my enemy. I see the same thing happening with McCain. Way to many people are willing to put up with a Bush Jr. clone, just because he doesn't have that D next to his name. Whe the hell cares what his policies are, or what they are likely to do to the country, he's not a "demotic-crap" and that's good enough.
I'm not so sure. I know lots of (R) and only know a very few who actually support McCain, and that is tepid support. It is a question of projectile vomiting or just throwing up a little in your mouth when you enter the ballot box. There is not a single person currently in the race for any party who I want to vote for and to the best of my knowledge, all my friends find themselves in the same situation.

FogRider

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I'm not so sure. I know lots of (R) and only know a very few who actually support McCain, and that is tepid support. It is a question of projectile vomiting or just throwing up a little in your mouth when you enter the ballot box. There is not a single person currently in the race for any party who I want to vote for and to the best of my knowledge, all my friends find themselves in the same situation.
Oh, I know a few that are not voting for him either. I was just saying that those that are seem to mostly be doing it because they refuse to vote for a democrat, for no other reason than they are a democrat.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FogRider wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Oh, I know a few that are not voting for him either. I was just saying that those that are seem to mostly be doing it because they refuse to vote for a democrat, for no other reason than they are a democrat.
Hhhmmm, perhaps. On conservative blogs, internet groups and radio shows I seem to hear more a case of people who refuse to vote for these particular democrats running for any reason rather than any democrat for any reason. Unfortunately, rather than the dems being similar to the GOP candidate in some ways, this year the GOP candidate is similar to the dems. Assuming I do vote for McCain, I will take Certs with me to kill the vomit taste in my mouth as I make that vote.

PT111

imported post

This will guarantee a win for Obama. Obama does not worry me so much but his "posse" does. You can complain all you want about the associates and advisors of the past Presidents but I alreadyhave some very serious concerns about those who are riding Obama's coattails and will be making headlines after the election. How many of you had ever heard of Rev. Wright before this election? After ityou will know him very well and many others with similar raging comments. Obama's wife scares me much more than he does as she it going to break new ground for the First Lady. America is going to change greatly and I really hope it is for the better but I am afraid that it will be better for only a select few.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
But McCain is the best Democrat running.

Tarzan.
:lol:
You, my friend, have been on a roll lately.

PT111 wrote:
This will guarantee a win for Obama. Obama does not worry me so much but his "posse" does. You can complain all you want about the associates and advisors of the past Presidents but I alreadyhave some very serious concerns about those who are riding Obama's coattails and will be making headlines after the election. How many of you had ever heard of Rev. Wright before this election? After ityou will know him very well and many others with similar raging comments. Obama's wife scares me much more than he does as she it going to break new ground for the First Lady. America is going to change greatly and I really hope it is for the better but I am afraid that it will be better for only a select few.
Dammit, why do you keep throwing up reality in our faces? I had scheduled enjoying blissful ignorance for another 5 months!

I am afraid you may be correct, PT111, but hope you are not. As much as I dislike the thought of McAmnesty as president, the thought of Obama as president makes me want to max out my credit cards, cash out my stocks and buy more long guns, tens of thousands of rounds of ammo and a full complement of survival gear.

As much as GW pisses me off on a regular basis (and does it again today with the polar bear crap) and as concerned as I was (and still am) about Carter and believe that Billy Boy is evil in the biblical sense, Obama is the first potential president in my politically aware lifetime who has actually made me feel concerned for my physical safety, and as you said, much has to do with the people he chooses to surround himself with and his "first time I have been proud to be an American" wife.

PT111

imported post

Years ago a local was asked why they keptre-electing a certain crook to the state Senate. He replied "You know he's a crook, I know he's a crook, everybody knows he's a crook, but he's our crook". That is the way politics works that we elect people that will look out for our interests and don't mind if they get a little for themselves as long as we get ours. I prime example of this is Haliburton in that as crooked as they are and as much as Buch and Cheney are getting from them they are doing some good and we do get something in return.

I look at Haliburton and similar deals and as much as it gets to me I realize that this is the way things work in this wonderful country of ours. Then I look at people like Jessie Jackson that run around proclaiming how much good he does but honestly I cannot see one thing that he does beside cause problems for everyone and blackmail businesses. We do not get any return from him on our investment. He reminds me of the Mafia insurance deals, in it soley for himself. I really fear that Obama has surround himself with too many that see this as an opportunity for themselves rather than the people of the US. I had a professor in college that used to say the John Kennedy would have been a great president if not for his advisors. I really didn't understand what he meant at the time but through the years it becomes clearer. He was constantly being underminded by his VP and AG as well as others in his cabinet. As an economist said about Bill Clinton that the economy did great not because of him but in spite of him.

I wish there was a good choice this time but there isn't in my book, probably the worst selection by far I ever remember and I am 58. We can vote for Ron Paul, Bob Barr, Raqlph Nader or whoever on principal vowing "From my cold dead hands" but sometimes we have to bite the bullet and face reality. You can either vote for McCain or Obama or let others decide who the next President will be. I am willing to bet the farm it isn't going to be Ron Paul or Bob Barr.

tarzan1888

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Years ago a local was asked why they keptre-electing a certain crook to the state Senate. He replied "You know he's a crook, I know he's a crook, everybody knows he's a crook, but he's our crook". That is the way politics works that we elect people that will look out for our interests and don't mind if they get a little for themselves as long as we get ours. I prime example of this is Haliburton in that as crooked as they are and as much as Buch and Cheney are getting from them they are doing some good and we do get something in return.

I look at Haliburton and similar deals and as much as it gets to me I realize that this is the way things work in this wonderful country of ours. Then I look at people like Jessie Jackson that run around proclaiming how much good he does but honestly I cannot see one thing that he does beside cause problems for everyone and blackmail businesses. We do not get any return from him on our investment. He reminds me of the Mafia insurance deals, in it soley for himself. I really fear that Obama has surround himself with too many that see this as an opportunity for themselves rather than the people of the US. I had a professor in college that used to say the John Kennedy would have been a great president if not for his advisors. I really didn't understand what he meant at the time but through the years it becomes clearer. He was constantly being underminded by his VP and AG as well as others in his cabinet. As an economist said about Bill Clinton that the economy did great not because of him but in spite of him.

I wish there was a good choice this time but there isn't in my book, probably the worst selection by far I ever remember and I am 58. We can vote for Ron Paul, Bob Barr, Raqlph Nader or whoever on principal vowing "From my cold dead hands" but sometimes we have to bite the bullet and face reality. You can either vote for McCain or Obama or let others decide who the next President will be. I am willing to bet the farm it isn't going to be Ron Paul or Bob Barr.

I have worked on a variety of Jobs with Haliburton over the years, and I have friends that were good friends with Bush and Chaney, in both Texas and Wyoming. That knowledge makes me think that they aren't quite as big of crooks as some would have us believe.

I voted for Bush twice and the main reason was the Supreme Court. It is yet to be proven for sure, but I still think we got our moneys worth there. I don't know why Bush has his head up his _______ about the border and several other things, but he does. I know he has brothers that married Hispanic wives and that may have something to do with it.

Bush kept saying he was a "Compassionate Conservative" and I guess he is, even if I'm not.

I guess you are right that they are "Our Crooks" and I still think they are better than the alternative.

As I said before, McCain is the best looking Democrat running, and I mean it.

In looking at the harm that will be caused by him or Obama, at least McCain has a track record and we have an Idea what he will do. That includes future Judges, which are a major concern for me. We know very little about Obama and all that we know is very BAD.

I will probably have to do like McCain's mother and"Hold my nose and vote for him" and then hope and pray that we make some in rodes in the House and Senate so that he can't do to much damage, while he is in.

I guess we can always hope that he picks a good, VP and then takes a trip to Dallas.

Tarzan

Huck

imported post

FogRider wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Hhhmmm, perhaps. On conservative blogs, internet groups and radio shows I seem to hear more a case of people who refuse to vote for these particular democrats running for any reason rather than any democrat for any reason. Unfortunately, rather than the dems being similar to the GOP candidate in some ways, this year the GOP candidate is similar to the dems. Assuming I do vote for McCain, I will take Certs with me to kill the vomit taste in my mouth as I make that vote.
It's a damn shame that we are reduced to trying to pick the candidate we hate the least. I don't really like anyone running, so I will be forced to chose who I think will **** things up the least. Bummer.
Unfortunately, picking who's the lesser evil is the norm anymore and the picks we have this year, except forRon Paul,is thesorriestbunch I've ever seen. And I've been voting in presidentialelections since 1976. :banghead: