• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

General Mall question regarding Food Court

ShadowOfTheHat

imported post

This may have been asked in the past, but if a mall has an open-air all access Food Court that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises, couldn't you be charged for carrying (OC or CCW) if you were carrying say in Belk's in the same mall, since they are all physically connected?

acritical

imported post

I don't think so, for most food courts are leased by the individual restaurants that want to be located there. In that situation, as with the stores, they are considered individual entities. A certain area is leased and designated for the purpose of selling food and alcohol.

Now, as the seating area is a common area for the restaurants, that section could be up for debate on whether or not it is off limits. For it is conceivable that you would go to a full service restaurant that sells alcohol and get a soft drink or water, however, the restaurants sells alcohol for consumption, therefore one can say, even though you went to McDonald's in the food court, the steak 'n ale located there sells alcohol for consumption in the same area.

As far as I know, most malls do not allow for the consumption of alcohol outside of designated areas, especially in the individual leased sections for the stores. Therefore, they are not considered part of the food court. Just like we can carry concealed at the grocery store, but must open carry if we decide to do business at the bank while we are there.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ya know I've never even seen alcohol served in a mall food court! I would venture to assume that being anywhere but directly in the eating area would not be a problem at all. As far as where the line is drawn, if a food court restaurant served alcohol, wouldn't they be required to have a designated area? IF that were the case, then the things would be relatively obvious.

Does anyone know of any malls that do indeed have alcohol served in an open food court?

ShadowOfTheHat

imported post

HOLY OPEN CARRY BATMAN! I never thought of that! So if you're CC'ing in the local Harry Peter, and want to get some cashola from the BofA, you have to expose? Hhmm, isn't that a quirk!