• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone have a dog for protection?

LEO 229

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
3 words

South African Boerboel

and No, that's not shopped... those things are more horse than dog, lol.
That is not a dog... it is a shaved lion!! :lol:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

THE OFFENSIVE SERVICE DOG

A student at St. Cloud State University in Minnesota (I believe) had to leave his teacher training program because his service dog was threatened by a Muslim student. Tyler Hurd is a 23-year-old student in a teacher-training program at Technical High School. Hurd has a service dog, a black lab, by the name of Emmitt who is trained to protect Hurd when he has seizures. Hurd's seizures can occur weekly and they are the result of a childhood injury.

Hurd's dog Emmitt was threatened by a Somali student who is ... Muslim. As we know, Muslims forbid the touching of dogs. But students at the Tech schools taunted his dog and when a Muslim student threatened to kill the dog, that's when Hurd decided to leave his training.

The schools are calling the situation a "misunderstanding." What's to misunderstand ... the Muslim faith does not accept dogs. They are offensive. Therefore, it is the job of those surrounding the Muslim faith to bend to its every request.
http://www.sctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080512/NEWS01/105120058

SCSU student leaves training at Technical High School By Dave Aeikens • daeikens@stcloudtimes.com • May 12, 2008 A St. Cloud State University student in a teacher-training program at Technical High School left the school in late April because he says he feared for the safety of his service dog. Advertisement The school district calls it a misunderstanding, and officials there say they hoped Tyler Hurd, a 23-year-old junior from Mahtomedi who aspires to teach special education, would continue his training in the district. Hurd said a student threatened to kill his service dog named Emmitt. The black lab is trained to protect Hurd when he has seizures. The seizures, which can occur weekly, are from a childhood injury. The dog has a pouch on his side that assists those who stop to help Hurd. Hurd said he was unable to finish his 50 hours of field training at Tech. The university waived the remaining 10 hours, he said. He plans to do his student teaching outside a high school setting. “We came up with a solution because I felt threatened by it," Hurd said. The school district and university are working to make sure a similar situation doesn't happen. Kate Steffens, dean of the college of education at St. Cloud State, and Tech assistant principal Lori Lockhart met Thursday. The threat came from a Somali student who is Muslim, according to Hurd, St. Cloud State and school district officials. The Muslim faith, which is the dominant faith of Somali immigrants, forbids the touching of dogs. Hurd trained at Talahi Community School and Tech. He said his experience at Talahi was good. The Somali students there warmed to the dog and eventually petted him using paper to keep their hands off his fur, Hurd said. Things didn't go as well at Tech, Hurd said. Students there taunted his dog, and he finally felt he had to leave after he was told a student made a threat. Hurd met with Lockhart but said he did not feel comfortable continuing. Julia Espe, director of curriculum, instruction and assessment for St. Cloud school district, said the school needed to do a better job communicating. “I think it was a misunderstanding where we didn't really prepare either side for possible implications," Espe said. Espe said the school's investigation determined the student did not make a direct threat. “We certainly welcome (Hurd) in our district, and we hope we can get this all resolved so he feels welcome and his dog is welcome," Espe said. St. Cloud State places about 1,000 students in 240 schools to help prepare them for careers in education. In St. Cloud school district, 330 are in the field training program Hurd was in and 94 are in student teaching. Steffens said it is important to respect different cultures and the rights of disabled students. “I think this is part of the growth process when we become more diverse," Steffens said. Steffens called Hurd a good student and committed young man. Gary Loch, who is the diversity coordinator for the district, said the situation was an unfortunate case of miscommunication. “I'm not quite sure where the breakdown comes into play here," Loch said.

bohdi

imported post

Now is that really your cousins dog because I've seen that same image recently in a viral email regarding it eating all the criminals in the area and running out of food, or something along those lines. I'll have to see if I can find the picture, but it's that picture.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
That dog is about 29" at the shoulders and just over 200lbs. 8-12 CUPS of dry food twice a day is what my Cousin used to feed the bastard.
I'm sure that Snopes.com would appreciate information about your cousin and the puppy as they have been unable to identify the woman, dog or location for 18 months or more. :)

expvideo

imported post

Our dog is a Australian shepherd/German shepherd/blue heeler mix, and her name is Summer. She's about half the size of a full-grown, large German shepherd male, and she's incredibly intelligent. She doesn't think that home protection is her job. She lets me know when she thinks something is wrong, and comes to the door with me, but she expects me to protect her, not the other way around. I don't mind it that way.

summmma.jpg

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

hsmith wrote:
While I do carry almost daily, I have been looking to get a dog for awhile. Top of my mind has always been a GSD a) because they are beautiful and b) they are bred for service and protection.

My real interest in the GSD revolves around the Schutzhund training. I find is amazing a dog can do these kinds of things. (And possibly some training beyond Schutzhund for protection)

I've been wanting a pet I can keep at my place and take with me everywhere I can for awhile. It sucks I live in an apartment and next year probably a townhouse, but not much I can do about that for the future.
A dog is a great addition to a family. And, properly trained (or just the ride breed) will provide some degree of warning and deterrence. However, don't rely on one unless it has been specifically trained as a guard dog.

I have two large dogs that are generally very protective of their turf, including their (my) kids. But I had a garage door kicked in and lost a couple hundred dollars tools while they were in the back yard between that door and the fence. I had never properly upgraded the interior grade door on the exterior of my garage because I figured my big dogs would be a deterrent or even be aggressive with an intruder. They were not. Don't know if they were bought off by a steak, or just friendly with some neighborhood kid that got to know them over the fence in my absence before making his move.

I recently watched an episode of that burglary show on the Discovery channel and the pro-burglar broke into a cops house. He stopped just long enough to let the dog sniff him, fed the dog, and told it to sit. He responded with, "Cop dogs are always the best trained." But not to protect a house from unknown intruders it seems. He then TORE the HOUSE appart including ripping a light weight gun locker from a wall. Dog did NOTHING.

Also consider that certain breeds, and certain temperments regardless of breed are NOT good with children. And a dog is a HUGE investment in time. You can't just unload a dog and lock it in the safe when you want to take a weekend vacation someplace that isn't dog friendly.

I hear time and again that a small, noisy dog is as good or better than many larger dogs. But a dog that barks at everything will pretty soon be ignored the one time it is something.

I like having my dogs, and figure they offer SOME deterrence and SOME chance of early warning for intruders. But I don't rely on them. I just haven't taken and don't have time nor inclination to train them at this point to be guard dogs. They are just large furry members of the family.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You guys have some fine looking pups. I agree, Utahbagpiper re: dogs not trained for home defense. My dogs are a deterrent only. They might attack someone but if someone hit one of them hard enough to really hurt them I wouldn't expect any attack would continue. They are my "kids" and while I am sure they will protect me to a point, it is up to me as the alpha male to protect the entire pack.

expvideo

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
You guys have some fine looking pups. I agree, Utahbagpiper re: dogs not trained for home defense. My dogs are a deterrent only. They might attack someone but if someone hit one of them hard enough to really hurt them I wouldn't expect any attack would continue. They are my "kids" and while I am sure they will protect me to a point, it is up to me as the alpha male to protect the entire pack.
+1

bradco

imported post

I have also been looking at getting one of those Fine GSD, I always had one when I was younger, but not as protection, I have always considered my Dogs friends and part of the family, protection just comes naturally to them. Also as I have Grandkids I want them to get used to the new addition, which I will eventually take to Puerto Rico with me in a couple of years to protect my wife while I am at work. but the main reason is I want companion that is always Loyal. And I second this site for my choice, take a look at Purple Boy and the Family

http://www.schwarzerhund.com/38.html

Walter45Auto

imported post

I had been watching my uncle schutzhund train for a couple months, when an old friend of my dad and my uncle told dad he was looking for a home for one of his GSD's. He asked dad "When are you gonna get a dog." Dad said "I'd like to have your dog." He said "Well, I'm looking for a good home for him. I'll just give him to you." They both knew I'd been wanting a dog, and so I got Bosco. I feel better when I leave the house because he's in there. We're training for a SchH1. He's a good dog, though not without problems, and he'll readily protect me and the house. I don't take him everywhere with me, though. Mostly because he's not exactly sociable. Don't get me wrong, I can control him, but I dont need someone elses dog coming too close and having them fight out in public. And he has a problem with kids, too. But if you devote the right time to the German Shepherd, exercise/walk/train him on a regular basis, he should do fine in an apartment or town house (Provided Apartment management allows that size dog.). My dog stays in the house with us and is very well behaved in the house.

Huck

imported post

mxwelch wrote:
I have 3 mini-daschunds. Don't laugh, they will do a number on your ankles.:)

My brother also has 3 mini Daschunds. He refers to them as "death from below the knees!" :)

The best dog I had was a Siberian Huskey. Smart, energetic, and very powerful. Plus he loved beer! A beautiful dog and a great companion. I miss him.

yeahYeah

imported post

I grew up with german shephards...i can't recommend a better dog for home/personal protection. they are great family animals, loyal, smart as hell and gawsh darn scary looking.

my last was a 130 lb male named King. a big baby with the family, but to people he didn't know, he was a nightmare. He was the alpha male and had to be neutered twice (one nut never dropped - probably why he was so aggressive).

We had him trained by a former LEO K-9 handler - made all the difference. We had to put him down because his hips went bad a few years back.

Again - great, great dogs...

tarzan1888

imported post

deepdiver wrote:

The same here.

I have a Black Lab.

He sounds mean.....but you are more likely to be licked to death by him than malled to death.

I will not have an aggressive dog...but I am ready to be aggressive if I need be. He is my early warning and not my means of defense.

Tarzan

LongRider

imported post

We breed Akitas a blurb from our website
Akita, the ancient Japanese bear dog. Bred from Asian wolves over three thousand years ago. With the ferocity, power and tenacity to bring down bears. The courage, agility and strength to do battle alongside Samurai. The alertness and protectiveness to guard the palaces of Shoguns and Emperors. The intelligence and compassion to lead the blind and care for the disabled. The stamina and drive to run the Iditarod. The gentleness, patience and nurture to care for toddlers and teach infants to walk. No other canine as ever matched the broad range of abilities of the Akita. Yet all these proven characteristics of the Akita dwarf in comparison to their fierce loyalty and love for their family. Monuments have been erected in memory of Akitas unwavering, undying loyalty to their master. A national treasure of Japan. The symbol of prosperity, health, love and loyalty. This regal and noble breed is cherished by an entire nation.
Akitas are emperors among canine, masters of all they encounter. Their appearance reflects their noble nature. Stunningly beautiful, regal, aloof and powerful. Akitas are best described as tender in heart and strong in strength. Few have the honor and privilege to have an Akita as a member of their family. None who have ever had an Akita ever wants any other lesser dog. Yet they are not the dog for everyone.
We carefully screen every potential owner and have taken one dog back (Its in the contract) Because these are such powerful intelligent animals capable of killing bears with razor like shredding bites we do not allow those who have not done their research or have not had dominate breed dogs before to get one of our kids. Nor does anyone who wants a bad a$$ dog get one of ours. Last thing we want is a pack of morons to get ahold of these dogs and abuse them like they have pit bulls.
Our dogs are family they are not guard dogs though I pity anyone breaking into our home, when we are not here. They tend not to bark but rather wait. Actually they do not bark at all, they talk, with a kind of howl and what some people think is a growl. People that have had an Akita growl at them prefer having wolves growl at them Extremely intelligent they know who belongs here what their role is and where they should or should not be. Truth is though outside our turkeys protect the property and attack anyone they do not know. Our Akitas keep an eye on the inside of the house while we are gone. As long as I am here their job is to let us know someone is here and if need be be with our girls or my wife if there in some kind of conflict. Though they have been trained,i t is my job to protect and defend. They are our last resort should anyone get past me. My wife and I have had just about every breed of dog there is between us, not any South African Boerboels those things look huge. Akitas by far are our favorite dogs of all time, they even house break on their own by the time they are weaned. Any Akita we have brought and brought home was house broken in 24 or less and it gets better from there