• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Much Is Too Much ?????

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I can't imagine Virginia has any legal limits on something like this. I suppose you're limited to whatever you can physically heft. I wouldn't suggest wearing "Pancho Villa" bandoleers across both shoulders, but I've seen people at the OC dinners with 2 extra mags in holders on the weak side.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

marine2000 wrote:
How much ammo is anyone person allowed to carry while OC'ing ??????????

Any Suggestions...????????????????????

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

(1991, c. 570; 1992, c. 790; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995; 2005, c. 160; 2007, c. 813.)

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I usually carry 2 spare magazines. However other than the limits listed in the code above, what you carry is up to you.

mxwelch

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I can't imagine Virginia has any legal limits on something like this. I suppose you're limited to whatever you can physically heft. I wouldn't suggest wearing "Pancho Villa" bandoleers across both shoulders, but I've seen people at the OC dinners with 2 extra mags in holders on the weak side.
No wonder I get weird looks.:D

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I used to work with a Deputy who showed up at a cook-out with his loaded Glock and 8 additional 10 round mags..... :0
There's no way I could do that. My defense ammo costs $1 per shot and I don't like to keep it around much more than 6 months. No way I'm carrying around $90 worth of ammo. Of course the extra weight might help me get into shape.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

asforme wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I used to work with a Deputy who showed up at a cook-out with his loaded Glock and 8 additional 10 round mags..... :0
There's no way I could do that. My defense ammo costs $1 per shot and I don't like to keep it around much more than 6 months. No way I'm carrying around $90 worth of ammo. Of course the extra weight might help me get into shape.

Well, remember that as a NATIONAL AVERAGE a police officer "hit the target" every 7-8th round out of 10. So this officer can then "hit the target" 9 times out of 90 rounds:what:.

TJ

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

marine2000 wrote:
Well ...

I own a S&W MP40 i always have a set of two extra mags on the soft side...!!!!

My question was as to how much will the LAW allow you..??

Virginia law doesn't limit the total rounds, only magazine capacity without a CHP. So if your apoorshot and can (or need to)carry 100 rounds, have a ball! But be prepared for the physical restrictions,social repercussions and reloading issues under fire.

If you are a pistol god and a perfect shot every time, even under stress of actual fire, one 8 rd magazinewould be more than enough for the average encounter. If you're like the rest of us who plan on magazine failures, one extra mags is just plain smart.

There's just too many variables in your question.

EDIT: OBW, I carry 2 spare 8 rd magazines!

les_aker

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Too much is double what you need. The real question is what do YOU need?

I took a class a couple of years ago where the instructor made a comment I've since taken to heart when asked a question regarding how much you need:

"Bullets are like video game tokens. The more you have the longer you get to play."

DocDaddy

imported post

Better to have too much than not enough! Overseas, combat load for me was (12) M4 Mags and (5) 9mm Mags, some people said that is too much,my explanation was the aforemention saying! Plus when the sh#% hits the fan, you just don't know how long it will take the calvary to show up. Normal carry around townthough is 10+1 "in"and spare mag of 15 for my XD9.

+1 on whatBobCav mentioned, the 20 round mag capacitydoes not apply to CHP holders. If you OC and do not have a CHP, then bywhat thecode says, you can nothave a mag capacity of more than 20 rounds, but you can carry as many of those mags as you want.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marine2000 wrote:
Well ...

I own a S&W MP40 i always have a set of two extra mags on the soft side...!!!!

My question was as to how much will the LAW allow you..??

What is the GVW limit for the road you are on?

I think that is the only law that will control how much ammo you can carry with you. The manufacturer of your vehicle may have something to say about load limits or towing capacity.

As forammo at home, the Uniform Building Code has load limits for flooring.

stay safe.

skidmark

LEO 229

imported post

I carry no extra unless I am headed to bad area of town. Then I take a spare mag.

If I can run... I am going to do so!! If I am close enough for a guaranteed hit... I take it and run.

I know that bad guys rarely ever carry a spare mag. They have what is in the gun and that is it. They do not plan to kill mass numbers of people or encounter the police.

When they run low on ammo.... they too will be running. :lol:

Bullbuster

imported post

Not long ago I carried out nearly 800 rounds from a gun show got in my truck and loaded up. It was really heavy I don't recommend sporting that much around.

As far as when I OC just the 1 mag for now. Looking for a new holster maybe one with a mag pouch.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

marine2000 wrote:
How much ammo is anyone person allowed to carry while OC'ing ??????????

Any Suggestions...????????????????????

If you have a state restriction on the amount of ammo you can carry, MOVE!

I carry 45, 9mmrounds on me at all times. That's 3 full mags.

Neplusultra

imported post

les_aker wrote:
BobCav wrote:
Too much is double what you need. The real question is what do YOU need?

I took a class a couple of years ago where the instructor made a comment I've since taken to heart when asked a question regarding how much you need:

"Bullets are like video game tokens. The more you have the longer you get to play."
Or what someone recently posted in response to his wife's concern about why he needed so much ammo: "It's not good to be the first one to run out of ammo in a gun fight" :^)