Thread: Ex-Green Beret Charged With Felony Possession of an Air Soft Pistol

Post imported post

A retired US Army Special Forces buddy of mine is being charged with Felony Gun possession in NY. Here is what happened.

He is working a contract to give Tactical training to a unit that falls under the Department of Homeland Security. He was sent to NY on this occasion. Since he knew he couldn't bring a Gun he packed an Air Soft Pistol, wanting to be able to demonstrate Weapons handling without having to use one of the students live weapons. He also wanted to practice for his classes. Basically he was taking the initiative.

TSA was shown the Gun inside his suitcase before checking it in. Once again he was being professional in showing it to them. He didn't want them to see it in the scan and think it was real. He even had it inside a hard container.

The TSA Agent didn't know if it really was fake (it has a orange tip and is plastic) So she called her supervisor over, who then called a cop over to take a look at the "weapon".

The Cop then called his Sargeant on the phone. The Cop was told to arrest him. Apparently CO2 Air soft Guns are illegal.

He is out on Bail now. He has an arraignment hearing in two weeks for felony Gun charges. If you or anyone has any advice for my friend I would appreciate it. As a former LEO (Williamsburg SD) this is Law enforcement at an all time low for me. A retired Green Beret who is working for Homeland security gets busted for having a Air soft Gun...Unbeliveable!

He did say even the Cops said it was BS, even apologetic. But it was out of their hands once they were told to arrest him.

I know this happened outside of Virginia, but any advice or assistance would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

Craig

Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

It's ridiculous regardless of training or experience. Airsoft pistols are considered toys. Now, if he was waving it around on the street, I could see a potential for misidentification. But this is just ridiculous. Possession means possession... you can check what's being possessed.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Safety is a tyrant's tool because no one can be against safety. Stupidity is the risk factor and not a toy or even a gun. Wonder what the 'S' in TSA means, or in DHS?

Post imported post

This does not look good for your friend. Hopefully an intelligent jury will be selected and the see the charge for what it is, BS. Is the airport Federal property?

http://www.nysrpa.org/airportwarning.htm

New York City Administrative Code Section 10-131 Firearms - Firearms

http://law.onecle.com/new-york/new-york-city-administrative-code/ADC010-131_10-131.html

... b. Air pistols and air rifles; selling or possessing. 1. It shall be
    unlawful for any person to sell, offer to sell or have in such person's
    possession any air pistol or air rifle or similar instrument in which
    the propelling force is a spring or air, except that the sale of such
    instruments if accompanied by delivery to a point without the city, and
    possession for such purpose, shall not be unlawful if such person shall
    have secured an annual license from the police commissioner of the city
    authorizing such sale and possession. ...

Post imported post

Damn that is awful. I hope he gets out of this and then I hope that he buys a blue training gun for the future.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Since airsoft is such a powerful and dangerous weapon needing regulation, NYC should consider equiping their law enforcement with them.

Post imported post

Was this at La Guardia or JFK? Or elsewhere?

lax wrote:
    This certainly seems pertinent.

The NYC regs won't matter if he was at another airport.