Thread: Definition of a school

Post imported post

Fairfax Co. has these things they call "Instructional Centers" which appear to be nothing more than administrative office buildings for the school system. My precinct votes in the Allan Leis Center.

Federal law seems to define "school" as a building where K-12 classes are actually held, but I can't find a clear definition in my admittedly unprofessional and brief review of VA law. 18.2-308.1 does not appear to address exactly what defines a school.

Any armchair or real lawyers want to opine on this?

Post imported post

architect wrote:
    Fairfax Co. has these things they call "Instructional Centers" which appear to be nothing more than administrative office buildings for the school system. My precinct votes in the Allan Leis Center.

Federal law seems to define "school" as a building where K-12 classes are actually held, but I can't find a clear definition in my admittedly unprofessional and brief review of VA law. 18.2-308.1 does not appear to address exactly what defines a school.

Any armchair or real lawyers want to opine on this?
    Hope these help:

§ 22.1-271.1. Definitions.

For the purpose of § 22.1-271.2:

"Admit" or "admission" means the official enrollment or reenrollment for attendance at any grade level, whether full-time or part-time, of any student by any school.

"Admitting official" means the school principal or his designated representative if a public school; if a nonpublic school or child-care center, the principal, headmaster or director of the school or center.

"Documentary proof" means written certification that a student has been immunized, such certificate to be on a form provided by the State Department of Health and signed by the licensed immunizing physician or an employee of the immunizing local health department.

"Student" means any person who seeks admission to a school, or for whom admission to a school is sought by a parent or guardian, and who will not have attained the age of 20 years by the start of the school term for which admission is sought.

"Immunized" or "immunization" means initial immunization and any boosters or reimmunizations required by § 32.1-46.

"School" means (i) any public school from kindergarten through grade 12 operated under the authority of any locality within the Commonwealth, (ii) any private or religious school that offers instruction at any level or grade from kindergarten through grade twelve, and (iii) any private or religious nursery school or preschool, or any private or religious child-care center required to be licensed by the Commonwealth.

(1982, c. 510; 1983, c. 433; 2005, c. 928.)
    and
    § 22.1-319. Definitions.

As used in this chapter unless the context requires a different meaning:

"Board" means the Virginia Board of Education.

"Department" means the Department of Education.

"Person" means any individual, group of individuals, partnership, association, business trust, corporation, or other business entity.

"School for students with disabilities" or "school" or "schools" means a privately owned and operated preschool, school, or educational organization, no matter how titled, maintained or conducting classes for the purpose of offering instruction, for a consideration, profit or tuition, to persons determined to have autism, deaf-blindness, a developmental delay, a hearing impairment including deafness, mental retardation, multiple disabilities, an orthopedic impairment, other health impairment, an emotional disturbance, a severe disability, a specific learning disability, a speech or language impairment, a traumatic brain injury, or a visual impairment including blindness.

"Superintendent" means the Superintendent of Public Instruction.

(Code 1950, § 22-330.17; 1970, c. 665; 1972, c. 523; 1974, c. 303; 1977, c. 444; 1980, c. 559; 1988, c. 574; 1993, c. 351; 1996, cc. 691, 832; 2004, c. 991.)
    stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Oh!

Welcome to OCDO.

Newbie buys the first round. I'll take .45acp.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    Oh!

Welcome to OCDO.

Newbie buys the first round. I'll take .45acp.

stay safe.

skidmark
    Since we're taking orders, I'd love a box (10 rounds)of .50BMG. That stuff is getting very expensive.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

This one sounds like it was a school..

May 13, 2008

Loudoun County, Virginia- A Round Hill woman was taken into custody Tuesday morning after she brought three firearms to a Western Loudoun elementary school.

The Loudoun Sheriff’s Office responded to Round Hill Elementary School on Evening Star Drive shortly before 9:30 AM for a report of a female who was acting erratically. A Loudoun School Resource Deputy arrived at the school and discovered the woman had three loaded weapons concealed inside her purse.

The weapons were never brandished by the woman nor did she mention she brought firearms into the school to personnel at Round Hill Elementary.

After a mental evaluation the 45-year-old woman was committed to the Cornwall Campus of Loudoun Hospital on a temporary detention order.

The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office and the Office of the Commonwealth Attorney are reviewing the case and charges are pending.

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

OK, I left a box each of .45 ACP, 9mm, .50 BMG, .40 S&W, 10mm, .380 ACP, .357 SIG, and .45 GAP on the sidewalk in front of Dick Saslaw's house. Tomorrow I'll do the revolver calibers.

Everyone please feel free to go by and pick up your round. One to a customer, of course, on the honor system!

BTW, I have a ton of respect for the guys who OC .50 BMG. Would that be in a Serpa?

Post imported post

architect wrote:
    OK, I left a box each of .45 ACP, 9mm, .50 BMG, .40 S&W, 10mm, .380 ACP, .357 SIG, and .45 GAP on the sidewalk in front of Dick Saslaw's house.
    Even if it was Saslaw's house, and you were trying to make some sort of political comment, sticking me with fang-faced Extreme Shock http://www.extremeshockusa.com/ammo is NOT a good way to make new friends. :P

BTW, I'm not sure if it was Saslaw or a stray dog that did it, but the Extreme Shock ammo was in the middle of a yellow puddle when I got up there to pick up my .45acp. If it was Saslaw, it was because it was ammo. If a stray dog did it, I'm sure it was because it was Extreme Shock!

stay safe.

skidmark

----Allahpundit