• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Definition of a school

architect

imported post

Fairfax Co. has these things they call "Instructional Centers" which appear to be nothing more than administrative office buildings for the school system. My precinct votes in the Allan Leis Center.

Federal law seems to define "school" as a building where K-12 classes are actually held, but I can't find a clear definition in my admittedly unprofessional and brief review of VA law. 18.2-308.1 does not appear to address exactly what defines a school.

Any armchair or real lawyers want to opine on this?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

architect wrote:
Fairfax Co. has these things they call "Instructional Centers" which appear to be nothing more than administrative office buildings for the school system. My precinct votes in the Allan Leis Center.

Federal law seems to define "school" as a building where K-12 classes are actually held, but I can't find a clear definition in my admittedly unprofessional and brief review of VA law. 18.2-308.1 does not appear to address exactly what defines a school.

Any armchair or real lawyers want to opine on this?
Hope these help:

§ 22.1-271.1. Definitions.

For the purpose of § 22.1-271.2:

"Admit" or "admission" means the official enrollment or reenrollment for attendance at any grade level, whether full-time or part-time, of any student by any school.

"Admitting official" means the school principal or his designated representative if a public school; if a nonpublic school or child-care center, the principal, headmaster or director of the school or center.

"Documentary proof" means written certification that a student has been immunized, such certificate to be on a form provided by the State Department of Health and signed by the licensed immunizing physician or an employee of the immunizing local health department.

"Student" means any person who seeks admission to a school, or for whom admission to a school is sought by a parent or guardian, and who will not have attained the age of 20 years by the start of the school term for which admission is sought.

"Immunized" or "immunization" means initial immunization and any boosters or reimmunizations required by § 32.1-46.

"School" means (i) any public school from kindergarten through grade 12 operated under the authority of any locality within the Commonwealth, (ii) any private or religious school that offers instruction at any level or grade from kindergarten through grade twelve, and (iii) any private or religious nursery school or preschool, or any private or religious child-care center required to be licensed by the Commonwealth.

(1982, c. 510; 1983, c. 433; 2005, c. 928.)
and
§ 22.1-319. Definitions.

As used in this chapter unless the context requires a different meaning:

"Board" means the Virginia Board of Education.

"Department" means the Department of Education.

"Person" means any individual, group of individuals, partnership, association, business trust, corporation, or other business entity.

"School for students with disabilities" or "school" or "schools" means a privately owned and operated preschool, school, or educational organization, no matter how titled, maintained or conducting classes for the purpose of offering instruction, for a consideration, profit or tuition, to persons determined to have autism, deaf-blindness, a developmental delay, a hearing impairment including deafness, mental retardation, multiple disabilities, an orthopedic impairment, other health impairment, an emotional disturbance, a severe disability, a specific learning disability, a speech or language impairment, a traumatic brain injury, or a visual impairment including blindness.

"Superintendent" means the Superintendent of Public Instruction.

(Code 1950, § 22-330.17; 1970, c. 665; 1972, c. 523; 1974, c. 303; 1977, c. 444; 1980, c. 559; 1988, c. 574; 1993, c. 351; 1996, cc. 691, 832; 2004, c. 991.)
stay safe.

skidmark

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Oh!

Welcome to OCDO.

Newbie buys the first round.:D I'll take .45acp.

stay safe.

skidmark

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

This one sounds like it was a school..

May 13, 2008

Loudoun County, Virginia- A Round Hill woman was taken into custody Tuesday morning after she brought three firearms to a Western Loudoun elementary school.

The Loudoun Sheriff’s Office responded to Round Hill Elementary School on Evening Star Drive shortly before 9:30 AM for a report of a female who was acting erratically. A Loudoun School Resource Deputy arrived at the school and discovered the woman had three loaded weapons concealed inside her purse.

The weapons were never brandished by the woman nor did she mention she brought firearms into the school to personnel at Round Hill Elementary.

After a mental evaluation the 45-year-old woman was committed to the Cornwall Campus of Loudoun Hospital on a temporary detention order.

The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office and the Office of the Commonwealth Attorney are reviewing the case and charges are pending.

architect

imported post

OK, I left a box each of .45 ACP, 9mm, .50 BMG, .40 S&W, 10mm, .380 ACP, .357 SIG, and .45 GAP on the sidewalk in front of Dick Saslaw's house. Tomorrow I'll do the revolver calibers.

Everyone please feel free to go by and pick up your round. One to a customer, of course, on the honor system!

BTW, I have a ton of respect for the guys who OC .50 BMG. Would that be in a Serpa?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

architect wrote:
OK, I left a box each of .45 ACP, 9mm, .50 BMG, .40 S&W, 10mm, .380 ACP, .357 SIG, and .45 GAP on the sidewalk in front of Dick Saslaw's house.

Even if it was Saslaw's house, and you were trying to make some sort of political comment, sticking me with fang-faced Extreme Shock http://www.extremeshockusa.com/ammo is NOT a good way to make new friends. :p

BTW, I'm not sure if it was Saslaw or a stray dog that did it, but the Extreme Shock ammo was in the middle of a yellow puddle when I got up there to pick up my .45acp. If it was Saslaw, it was because it was ammo. If a stray dog did it, I'm sure it was because it was Extreme Shock!

stay safe.

skidmark