• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OpenCarry.org's John Pierce on WILK Newsradio (PA) Debates Dickson City Police Chief Stadnitski

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I was invited to appear on the Sue Henry show on WILK Newsradio this morning (http://www.wilknewsradio.com).

About 5 minutes into the interview, Dickson City police chief William Stadnitski called in and we spent the rest of the hour talking about and debating the incident. While he supported his officers, he seemed reasonable and the debate was polite and professional.

We also spoke about the Council meeting tonight and I made sure he understood state preemption and the inability of the Council to prohibit lawful carry at their meetings.

He indicated that Rich could come and get his gun any time he wished but had not done so. :shock:

He also seemed very certain that ALL guns are registered through the ATF. I tried to correct that misconception but in that venue, I am not sure the message was received.

He said that he had spoken with OCDO's Washington state rep (which I assume was Lonnie :) ) about the training bulletins they had done and seemed genuinely interested in doing something similar. He also pointed out that PA state update-training should have a section on open carry added. I think that is a great idea and we will need to look into how to get that accomplished.

Now ... it is up to those of you who are speaking tonight to be eloquent and professional in your presentation of our grievances. I think that the talk show host had expected us to reflect the media's stereotypes of gun owners and was (I believe) pleasantly surprised to find that gun owners can be calm, dispassionate, professional and articulate. :)

PS. Thanks to all the gun owners who called in or emailed her in support of our cause while we were on the air!!!

PPS. I don't think her show has an audio archive. :(

PPPS. Did anyone get to hear it live? How did you think it went?

--

http://wilknetwork.com/Open-Carry-People-Make-Their-Point/2185688

[align=left]

946616.jpg

class=Box_22653243_Image_Caption[/font]
class=Box_22653243_DatePosted: Wednesday, 14 May 2008 8:46AM

class=Box_22653243_HeadlineOpen Carry People Make Their Point

WILK's Sue Henry launched the story yesterdayabout an incidentthat happened Friday in Dickson City. Police were called to the Old Country Buffet, where a number of people....sidearms showing...were having dinner.

One of them..Rich Banks, ended up under arrest and a weapon was confiscated after he refused to cooperate with the cops.

The packing patrons were members of "Open Carry-dot-org"...they promote the fact that you're allowed to carry an exposed firearm under most circumstances....unlike carrying a concealed weapon.The incident was in the spotlight at last night's Dickson City Boro council meeting.

Earlier in the day police chief William Stadnitski joined Corbett on WILK...he says his officers made the right call when they took the call.[/align]

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jpierce wrote:
He also seemed very certain that ALL guns are registered through the ATF. I tried to correct that misconception but in that venue, I am not sure the message was received.

Well, he's half right. If the gun was originally purchased from an FFL after 1968, a 4473 for that gun was filled out and the BATFE requires that all such records be kept indefinitely both in the Bound Book and in the form of the original 4473 (which has your signature). The BATFE can compel a dealer to provide the information in either form, and is the sole repository for bound books belonging to firearms businesses that have ceased operations. The BATFE thus has a REAL good chance of knowing or quickly finding outthat the weapon exists and who it was last sold to through an FFL.

As far as NFA-type registration, no. The BATFE knows who holds every registered NFA weapon rigght this second, or at least who is supposed to, and if they don't they're in trouble. That is not the case with you average handgun.

xd.40

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
jpierce wrote:

Well, he's half right. If the gun was originally purchased from an FFL after 1968, a 4473 for that gun was filled out and the BATFE requires that all such records be kept indefinitely both in the Bound Book and in the form of the original 4473 (which has your signature). The BATFE can compel a dealer to provide the information in either form, and is the sole repository for bound books belonging to firearms businesses that have ceased operations. The BATFE thus has a REAL good chance of knowing or quickly finding outthat the weapon exists and who it was last sold to through an FFL.

As far as NFA-type registration, no. The BATFE knows who holds every registered NFA weapon rigght this second, or at least who is supposed to, and if they don't they're in trouble. That is not the case with you average handgun.
Well, they know who it was originally sold to (if the weapson was sold private party). Unless the original owner kept records (Which would be a smart thing to do), the ATF has no idea who the gun was sold to.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

xd.40 wrote:
Liko81 wrote:
jpierce wrote:

Well, they know who it was originally sold to (if the weapson was sold private party). Unless the original owner kept records (Which would be a smart thing to do), the ATF has no idea who the gun was sold to.

Huh? ATF does not know who a gun dealer sold a gun to unless they check the 4473.

Also, why is record keeping a good idea for private sales? private to me means, well, private.

xd.40

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
That we have statist would-be tyrants here is the worm in our OCDO apple, gnawing at its heart and our souls.
Huh?

It's a good idea to keep a paper trail on guns you sell in case the gun was later used in a crime. It would get you off the hook a lot easier and give some clues to who has the gun.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

xd.40 wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
That we have statist would-be tyrants here is the worm in our OCDO apple, gnawing at its heart and our souls.
Huh?

It's a good idea to keep a paper trail on guns you sell in case the gun was later used in a crime. It would get you off the hook a lot easier and give some clues to who has the gun.
get you off what "hook"?

xd.40

imported post

Mike wrote:
xd.40 wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Huh?

get you off what "hook"?
Wasn't this already discussed in another thread?

imperialism2024

imported post

Well, for the record, I sold all of my long guns yesterday that I ever purchased through a 4473.

I really needed the money.

Though I might have too much money now, and might buy a gun again in the future. But probably not. Guns are evil, and Big Brother will protect me.

:cool:

imperialism2024

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Imperialism: I'm sure you walk around with a soap carving in your holster, blackened with shoe polish. I know that's what I do! Real gun? Nope. Toy gun? Nope! I've got soap! (In WI if someone feels worried about your toy gun, you've committed a misdemeanor according to State law.)
Well, no one can say that the gun is "dirty"... :)

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

He said that he had spoken with OCDO's Washington state rep (which I assume was Lonnie :) ) about the training bulletins they had done and seemed genuinely interested in doing something similar.
Very interesting considering yours truly, with the help of none other than Lonnie Wilson, has done exactly this in PA. Some time ago.
http://www.pafoa.org/forum/conceale...-training-memo-leo-dept-s-pa-final-draft.html

For the most part these memo's were not well received or ignored.

Go figure.