• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Veterans & Military Affairs, Joint Committee* - 6/4/2008 1:00 pm

j2l3

imported post

Normally I would place this in the government forum, but since it is Washington specific, I thought I would place it here.

Moderators, please move a copy to the government discussion if you feel it appropriate.

The emphasis added is mine.

Veterans & Military Affairs, Joint Committee* - 6/4/2008 1:00 pm

Full Committee
Buckley Armory
455 N. River Road
Buckley, WA

REVISED 5/13/2008 8:49 AM

Public Hearing:

1. Staff presentation: Overview of the needs and opportunities for the treatment of veterans suffering from Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs).
    1. Dennis Primoli, Veterans Legislative Coalition.
    2. Mark Stroh, Washington TBI Strategic Partnership Advisory Council.
    3. Alfie Alvarado-Ramos, Washington Department of Veterans Affairs.
  2. Revising provisions relating to renewing a concealed pistol license by members of the armed forces.
  3. Discussion: Shall veterans or members of the armed forces over the ages of 21 continue to be prohibited from exercising their individual right to bear arms under Article I, Section 24 of the Washington State Constitution at institutions of higher education?
  4. Emergency management preparation:
    1. Public access to food.
    2. Public access to communication.
  5. Update on efforts to provide relief for indigent veterans and their families.
Directions: From from I-5: Merge onto 512 E, merge onto 167 N, merge onto 410 E. to Buckley, right on Park Ave, left on River Rd.

Bear 45/70

imported post

At public hearings like this, when you sign in on their sheet to show you were there, you indicate whether for or against and whether you wish to speak, which is your right as a citizen.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I will do my best to speak at this hearing, but I would make it very clear that this proposal would be unconstitutional.

Article 1, SECTION 12 SPECIAL PRIVILEGES AND IMMUNITIES PROHIBITED. No law shall be passed granting to any citizen, class of citizens, or corporation other than municipal, privileges or immunities which upon the same terms shall not equally belong to all citizens, or corporations.

Discussion: Shall veterans or members of the armed forces over the ages of 21 continue to be prohibited from exercising their individual right to bear arms under Article I, Section 24 of the Washington State Constitution at institutions of higher education?

My response:

Distinguished Members of this Committee, I wish to thank you for the opportunity to testify in front of the committee. Though I appreciate the seeming effort to at least partially solve the issue of public institutions violating people's rights under Article 1, Section 24, I'm afraid that I must object to the idea that only those who are veterans or currently serving in the Armed Forces would be able to enjoy their A1S24 rights. Though I have the utmost respect for current and former members of our Armed Forces, this proposal would disallow a significant amount of population from enjoying our publicly funded institutions free of harassment and intimidation.

As a gay man, I am not allowed by the provisions of the Uniform Code of Military Justice to enroll in the Armed Forces. Though some of my members of the GLBT community do serve despite this prohibition, I have chosen not to violate the UCMJ by attempting to join. As a result, I can never be covered under the provisions of this proposal. Not only would this result in my being able to enjoy the benefits of the public institutions which I've had to pay tax money to support, this would also violate Article 1, Section 12 of our state constitution, which states that "No law shall be passed granting to any citizen, class of citizens, or corporation other than municipal, privileges or immunities which upon the same terms shall not equally belong to all citizens, or corporations".

As a out gay man, I'm a member of a minority which even today, sadistic members of the criminal underclass seek out specifically as targets for their rage.

A better way to deal with the situation is to directly amend the Washington Administrative Codes directly, and then strip them of the authority to pass any further regulations which violate our S24 rights by statute. That way none of the tax paying citizens of this state would be subject to having our civil liberties violated merely because we are seeking further education.

With regards,

Lonnie Wilson
Member: NRA, NWCDL, Pink Pistols, OpenCarry.org, and ACLU of Washington