• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another "Guns & Airports" question.

Mr. Magnum

imported post

The fam & I will be traveling to the Ogden-Hinckley airport on the 31st. We are going to see some of the Utah CAF's warbirds & a B-17G (Aluminum Overcast).

The planes will be on the tarmac by the main terminal. Does anyone know ifOC or CC are allowed while at an event like this?:?

Mr. Magnum

imported post

I don't know? That's why I was hope'n some ya'll northerners might be able to clue me in.

I know that there would be no problems at Springville/Spanish Fork or Provo airports, but no clue about Ogden airport because I've never been there.

PavePusher

imported post

If they are flight-capable aircraft, they will almost certainly be parked inside a "secure" area and no weapons will be permitted. But I can't say how security will actually be administered, i.e. bag searches, metal detectors, individual searches, etc. Is this an air show-type event, or a permanent display area?

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Mr. Magnum wrote:
The fam & I will be traveling to the Ogden-Hinckley airport on the 31st. We are going to see some of the Utah CAF's warbirds & a B-17G (Aluminum Overcast).

The planes will be on the tarmac by the main terminal. Does anyone know ifOC or CC are allowed while at an event like this?:?
I do not know this airport specifically. However, if it is not military, the general aviation area of an airport is NOT part of the secure area. Private pilots are perfectly free to carry their guns to and on their own planes and routinely do.

At small airports like Page and St. George where I've flown both general (private) aviation with friends who own their own planes as well as commercial, the secure area on the tarmac is a fairly small area right where the commericial planes load and unload passengers. Everywhere else is open to geneal aviation and is not part of the secure area.

If you do not have have to pass through a metal detector to get to the display, it is NOT a part of the secure area of the airport. If there are metal detectors, do NOT walk through with a gun. Even if you must stop short and walk away to secure a gun in the car.

IANAL, YMMV, etc, etc.

Charles