• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Exhibit A for Retention holster

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

This is an interesting story from Fox News mostly off topic for us except for the terrifying photo of the perp, just convicted of murder, with both hands on the deputy's firearm as the deputy struggles for control of the situation. I assume he was using a retention holster and is very grateful for it.

Charles

Full story at http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,355342,00.html

Excerpts:

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. — A man punched a sheriff's deputy and tried to grab the officer's handgun from its holster after a judge in Battle Creek convicted him of murder in the killings of his wife and son.
Deputy Scott Eby pushed 43-year-old Michael Fisher against a wall Monday as others rushed to help. Fisher was subdued with an electric shock from a Taser. A Battle Creek Enquirer photo shows Fisher's hand on the gun.

Attachments

• gungrab.jpg
    gungrab.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 274

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I could be wrong, the picture is grainy, but it looks like there's a little finger button there.

Serpa for the win.

LEO 229

imported post

My question.... Why is he not cuffed with a belly chain!!!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
My question .... why don't LEOs have the perogative to shoot dangerous SOBs like that in the head instead of having to deal with their murderous attempts? Neither society or LEOs should have to put up with animals who behave in that manner. They are dangerous to every law abiding citizen and law enforcement officer. I'm just glad the LEO was tough enough to take the shot and fight him off until reinforcement could get there. Would have been horribly sad for him to not go home to his family over that piece of human garbage.

LEO 229

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
My question .... why don't LEOs have the perogative to shoot dangerous SOBs like that in the head instead of having to deal with their murderous attempts? Neither society or LEOs should have to put up with animals who behave in that manner. They are dangerous to every law abiding citizen and law enforcement officer. I'm just glad the LEO was tough enough to take the shot and fight him off until reinforcement could get there. Would have been horribly sad for him to not go home to his family over that piece of human garbage.
It is no longer acceptable to shoot unarmed people who are a threat. Even when they are convicted of murder and trying to escape.

And even if it is permitted.... The officer will be ran through the ringer and criticized by the media andpublic for shooting an unarmed man

If he had a camera on the end of his gun.... it would show him shooting an unarmed man and not the events prior wherehe was being attacked.

The officer would be guilty of excessive force in the eyes of the public. :cry:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
It is no longer acceptable to shoot unarmed people who are a threat. Even when they are convicted of murder and trying to escape.

And even if it is permitted.... The officer will be ran through the ringer and criticized by the media andpublic for shooting an unarmed man

If he had a camera on the end of his gun.... it would show him shooting an unarmed man and not the events prior wherehe was being attacked.

I know which is why my question is why don't they, which was obviously rhetorical because we all know they do not because of the bed-wetting sheep.

Butlerite

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

I know which is why my question is why don't they, which was obviously rhetorical because we all know they do not because of the bed-wetting sheep.
Maybe the LEOs need the "Castle Doctrine" too!

tarzan1888

imported post

Last night I caught the end of a show on TV that my wife likes staring Angie Harmon as a lady LEO.

The bad guy had just shot her father and she was fighting him for the gun.

Her tied up and wounded Dad kicked the gun to her and she went, bang, bang, bang, bang, click, click. (It was a 6 shot revolver and the bad guy had already used one shot on his dad and one on hers.)

Did my heart good.

Tarzan

Flintlock

imported post

asforme wrote:
I could be wrong, the picture is grainy, but it looks like there's a little finger button there.

Serpa for the win.
After looking at it closely, I really don't think it's a Serpa holster, it looks to me to be a leather holster, possibly witha thumb break.

tarzan1888

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
asforme wrote:

Serpa for the win.
After looking at it closely, I really don't think it's a Serpa holster, it looks to me to be a leather holster, possibly witha thumb break.

I think you are right flintlock. It looks like it has that typical LEO black leather textured holster with a thumb break.

Tarzan

Evil Ernie

imported post

I can see LEO's point in that he should have been in full shackles (preferably with razors so he bleeds out real slow), but jeez, the guy was going for gun, had his hand on the gun and was attempting to free the gun...how much further do you want the guy to be to be classified as "armed" before lethal force is applied? Granted the officer was in way but had his head down making plenty of room for a well aimed shot towards the dirtbags skull. Screw the public and their opinions, let'em scream all they want, and waste the bastard!!!!!!
Anyone who has the mind to actually shoot and kill their own child deserves nothing less than a full stoning and burned alive...publicly!!!!!

imperialism2024

imported post

I mean, I don't know about anyone else, but if I were just wrongly convicted of murder, I'd be pretty pissed off and probably making an attempt to escape.

I'm not saying it's true, but I'm just puttin' that out there...

I think this does mean that LEOs should CC at all times. Someone tried to grab a cop's gun once, so clearly open carry is bad for LEOs. Right? :)

Dahwg

imported post

hmmm... maybe a safariland SLS in basket weave pattern- not as easy to release as a thumb break and it's a true level 2 (unlike the Serpa CQC).

Safariland%20sls%20cover.jpg

TJ

imported post

My first thought was Safariland Raptor. Look at the rivits (tension screw) below the subjects right hand on the trailing edge of the holster, as well as the "texturing". Meaning the dark spot in the picture about halfway up the barrel area similar to the Raptor on the leading edge of the holster. These are level 3 and very nice. I have one myself.

~T.J.

(Image courtesy of Google Image Search)

6070.jpg

compmanio365

imported post

Good thing he had that.......you can tell by the picture the thug thought it was a thumb break and went for the snap....if it had been a normal thumb break holster, he would have gotten that gun before someone could have gotten to him........

Lew

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

So it's the "sheep" now who are limiting the LEO powers? When exactly should he have been shot (or "wasted" even)?

I can see it now, "prisoner punches cop, gets shot in face." Says Lt. Snuffy of the XX Sheriffs Dept., "Well, he hit ol' Joe here and then reached for his pistol. Didn't have much of a chance of getting it, but we figured we'd better just put him down." The news has sparked an outcry from the public, notably the gun community and libertarian rights activists, who calling for an end to unchecked police power....

Just playin' devil's advocate, mind you.