• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time today!

Aluminum

imported post

I have had my CC permit for 7 months and have carried since then 100%, even in my house. When I first carried, I was so sure everyone just knew I was carrying. :what:
Well, after a few weeks, I got used to carrying and it wasnt so heavy in my mind anymore.

After a few months, (I knew before getting permit it was legal to carry open) I started not caring whether anyone knew I was carrying or not, or happened to see my gun if I reached for something high, etc... :idea:

Well, yesterday afternoon I happened onto this forum, and wow, I was very much encouraged to excercise my rights even more! So.... today I went to town and went to Walmart, Kmart, Radio Shack, Big Lots, Wendy's, and a few other stores open carrying! I felt just like I did when I first started, like EVERYONE was watching me... Of course, that wasnt the case, only a few people noticed and none of them said or did anything at all. I even walked past 3 uniformed and armed public servants (dog catchers) and they didnt say or do anything.

I am happy that I have my CC permit though, (because of transport laws) and will likely to carry concealed about 50% of the time now, instead of 100%.

Edited to add: wow, that last sentance didnt make much sense, let me try again...
I am happy that I have My CC permit though, (because of transport laws in Ohio) and will still carry 100% of the time, but not always concealed.

JSK333

imported post

Congrats!

It's a great option, especially since it's legal in Ohio. Sad that some States still ban it. I wonder if the D.C. case will address that, since the Justices did mention the word "bear" as part of the argument. But I digress...

I too have found that little to no one notices when I OC. This is one reason why criminals can do what they do, people have such little awareness of their surroundings.

Be safe!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hey Aluminum, that's fantastic - Congratulations!! Feels so great to exercise those rights, huh?

Welcome to OCDO. We can be a bit rough at times, but remember the strongest swords are forged in the hottest fires! Hope to hear more of you on the forum.

reefteach

imported post

WOW!! That is immpresive!! Most first OC experiences are of the hit and run type; Go in to pay for gas, get a cup of coffee, etc. You just held your head high and struted all over town! Nice job. :celebrate

What are you carrying?

Aluminum

imported post

My carry gun is a Browning High power, I was carrying it in an IWB holster. Not quite as visable as some other ways to carry, but you can see the entire grip and the hammer in condition 1. :shock:

One of my reasons for open carrying is when it gets warmer, I dont want to wear an outer shirt (unbuttoned and untucked) like I have been. It gets quite hot here in the summer. (I say this after living in New Mexico for 11 yrs, lol) this humidity can really mess with ya.

bersa

imported post

As you already know youare more aware of things in public when you start to carry. When you O/C you need to be aware of what is behind you at all times.You can do this without looking nervous and drawing attention to yourself.Be sure to check every store you enter for no gun sign even if you were there yesterday and you did not see one.

reefteach

imported post

Are you talking about the original Bob Evan's? BEEN THERE:celebrate. Rode there with 25 other motorcyclists for lunch 2 years ago. I hate breakfast, and was the only one to not order any egg/fried flour thing to eat at noon. I think I had a pot roast sandwich. MMMMMMMM.