• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ignorance at Orem Gunnies

colormered

imported post

May I offer this as a possible translation:

Outsider wrote:
Regarding our firearm check-in at the front of the store for non concealed guns. Due to theft attempts at our Store we unfortunately had to resort to having people check in and out their guns at the entrance to protect our inventory from theft. Simply it helps us recognize the customers firearms from our inventory (not an unfair request).
Having visited stores in Logan with gun departments, it isn't unheard of to have only one employee working the gun department. If one customer asks to look at a handgun from the display case, and then another customer at the other end of the counter has a question, at times the employee will leave the first customer unattended with the display handgun to attend to the second customer. If at some time the employee's attention is diverted for a few seconds, it wouldn't be difficult for the first customer to quietly disappear into the store, and walk off with the handgun. With a policy like the one mentioned above, it would be reasonable for every employee of the store to "keep an eye out" for someone walking out with a handgun, and if they don't stop at the front of the store to check the gun out, they could feasibly assume shoplifting. Any customer walking out with their own gun would be easy to verify by checking the gun against the register of what was checked in.

Not that I agree or disagree with said policy; just that I can see their line of reasoning.

thx997303

imported post

Well, I could easily steal things from wal-mart, but that doesn't mean that I have to sign my shirt in, though i could easily put one on and leave.

colormered

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Well, I could easily steal things from wal-mart, but that doesn't mean that I have to sign my shirt in, though i could easily put one on and leave.

And, I would assume, when Wal-mart has shirts worth $400-$1000 or more disappearing from their inventory, triggering an investigation by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Explosives, and Shirts, I would expect them to implement some loss prevention policy that somebody might not agree with, like videotaping the purchase of every shirt sold, and if that shirt is EVER worn in the commission of a crime, give the employees the discretion of refusing to sell that customer another shirt, ever.

thx997303

imported post

So, in other words, it's less risky for me to steal shirts.

And I can steal 100s of dollars worth of shirts, and probably not get caught.

Plus, if you are going to steal a gun, you are probably going to commit a crime with said gun, or sell it to someone who can't buy one.

So you probably would not have a gun, and you probably would be illegaly concealing a gun if you did, and you would probably either not register, or register under an assumed name.

No sense made.

Lol, BATFES

Outsider

imported post

Know what sucks? I'm hating Gunnies so much and having to goto places like Big 5 and Sportman's Warehouse that they don't have what I need and I know that Gunnies does, but I'm not going to cave. Time to goto Draper!

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Seems nice that Gunnies is willing to blame "customers" for their loss of firearms and amunition... especially after reading the newspaper the other day about the owner's daughter and her boy friend have been charged with afterhours theft from GUNNIES of guns and ammunition!

It is always the customers fault! Seems to be their cry!

41 Magnum

imported post

I've had good experiences with compact firearms in Lehi as well. They did our FFL work for this years Friends of the NRA event, treating all our winners very well even if they made nothing off them.

I plan on running the majority of my future purchases or transfers through them.

thx997303

imported post

Is Compact Firearms new? (As in, established between 12 AUG 08 and now)

Seems like you guys like them. I'll have to check them out when I get back to Utah.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

THX.... the answer is YES.....

Located just north of Lehi Main street on the West side right about 3 blocks east of the RR tracks. I can drive right to it but I forgot the address.