• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Penalty for CCW without licenses

Buckmaster

imported post

Hi all, We live in WV and I have a cw permit here. The problem is my wife who is about to have to travel and stay close to down town Cincinnati for about a month, does not. She is in her finale stage of her clinicals. We did not know until yesterday she would have to travel there, and now she does not have the time to get a permit. If she gets a felony charge agiast her, she will be kicked out of school, My question is what is the penalty for carrying a pistol in her purse without a licences?

Brian D.

imported post

Carrying concealed without a licensewould be a felony in Ohio now, Buckmaster, with no "prudent man acting in a reasonable manner" affirmative defense to the charge available, like we had here before CC licensing existed.

Of course open carry is legal here, except in places that are automatically or by posted signage off-limits to any sort of firearms carry/possession. And the description you give of what you're wife will be doing sounds like she will be in a medical college, hospital, or the like. They are almost without exception no-carry zones.

Legba

imported post

CCW with a loaded handgun is a 4th-degree felony, the maximum penalty for which is 18 months imprisonment and a $5,000 fine, plus "community control" sanctions (probation) upon release, a supervision fee for said probation, court costs, attorney fees, filing fees, stenographer fees, possible impound fees, lost wages, gas and parking for hearings, any bail during the course of trial... a rather expensive proposition. I speak with some authority on this. It would run thousands of dollars and many months down time, not to mention professional ruin in the long term. Admittedly, a 1st-offense is not likely to meet with any actual term of incarceration, but it might still be upheld as a felony - don't count on the charity of prosecutors to reduce charges for otherwise "nice people." Nice people don't carry guns, as they see it. It's not worth it.

If she can demonstrate some kind of specific threat, she may qualify for an emergency temporary permit, but that requires swearing out some kind ofaffidavit about stalker-like situations. It takes a couple of weeks to get one otherwise. If she's only here for a month, it sounds like she's stuck, legally. Sorry.

-ljp

Buckmaster

imported post

Thank you for the info and your time. We can not take a chance on some policeman being nice. I am going to go look at some tasers, and make a trip up there this week to check out everything, Hotel...... If everyone had a gun, there would be alot more nice people around. thanks again.