• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judge Implies Drew Peterson's Guns Will Go to His Son

MetalChris

imported post

Source
An Illinois judge noted during a hearing Tuesday that he is ready to order police to relinquish 10 guns taken from Drew Peterson’s home during a search last fall, The Chicago Sun-Times reported.[/b]

But the guns will not be returned to Peterson, a suspect in the October disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy, but will most likely end up going to his police officer son, Stephen, Peterson’s attorney told the Sun-Times.

"This court is of the opinion the state cannot withhold the firearms indefinitely," said Judge Richard Schoenstedt. Schoenstedt then deferred a formal ruling until later this month.

Schoenstedt already ordered state police to return Peterson's two vehicles and other items in February, including the guns — but authorities managed to block the return of the guns by revoking Peterson’s Firearm Owner’s Identification Card.

Peterson wants his son to hold the weapons while he appeals the revocation of his Firearm Owner's card.

Prosecutors in Will County, Ill., objected to the judge’s decision, claiming Peterson’s guns are still being used in their investigation into Stacy Peterson’s disappearance and the 2004 drowning death of Peterson’s third wife, Kathleen Savio.

Peterson's attorney Joel Brodsky told the Sun-Times that Schoenstedt’s comments "indicate very strongly" that he plans to order the weapons be released to Peterson's son.

Peterson hasn't been charged in his wife’s disappearance and denies any wrongdoing.

Wow. I know we're dealing with Drew Peterson here, and hemore than likely is a scumbag, but come on. He hasn't even beencharged with a crime...how the hell can they justify taking away his guns? And how the hell do guns have anything to do with a drowning?

Oh right, it's the PRI...their subjects have no rights.

Thundar

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
...how the hell can they justify taking away his guns? And how the hell do guns have anything to do with a drowning?

Very sad day forour constitutionindeed.

The guy is a scum bag, but what is important here is:

FOID = privilege.

Government whim = ability to take away privilege.

FOID = No RIGHT to keep and Bear Arms.

What the government gives, the government can take away.

Prometheus

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
Source
Wow. I know we're dealing with Drew Peterson here, and hemore than likely is a scumbag, but come on. He hasn't even beencharged with a crime...how the hell can they justify taking away his guns? And how the hell do guns have anything to do with a drowning?

Diffent peterson case actually. This one the wife is missing and no trace of the body. Also police are investigating the death of a previous wife who was orginally rulled a suicide.

This peterson was a cop in ILL who was fired shortly after this whole thing went down.

Guy is a total scum bag from what I can tell, but he's yet to be charged and is free man.

Not only did police seize his guns, but ILL state police have revoked his FOID card (permission slip to own a gun) with no charges or oversight. Unilatteral decision.

I belive he is 100% guilty, but until he's charged he should have his Rights and property.

Like you said it's PRI and no one has any Rights there. I HATE ILL... speaking of which I've got to go bed so I can battle traffic into that crap hole tomorrow.

MetalChris

imported post

Prometheus wrote:
USAF_MetalChris wrote:
Source

Diffent peterson case actually. This one the wife is missing and no trace of the body. Also police are investigating the death of a previous wife who was orginally rulled a suicide.

This peterson was a cop in ILL who was fired shortly after this whole thing went down.

Guy is a total scum bag from what I can tell, but he's yet to be charged and is free man.

Not only did police seize his guns, but ILL state police have revoked his FOID card (permission slip to own a gun) with no charges or oversight. Unilatteral decision.

I belive he is 100% guilty, but until he's charged he should have his Rights and property.

Like you said it's PRI and no one has any Rights there. I HATE ILL... speaking of which I've got to go bed so I can battle traffic into that crap hole tomorrow.

This case is different from what? I know it's the cop in IL...Scott Peterson was the dude that murdered his wife and unborn baby a few years ago in Cali.

And I'm with you on the whole "hating IL" thing. If I ever drive down to see the inlaws in OK, or my family in WA, I have to drive through IL. I'll have to make sure we gas up and eat before driving through, because I will not put a cent into the PRI's economy. :) Come to think of it, going to WA, we'll have to drive through both the PRI and PRW. LAME!

possumboy

imported post

Thundar wrote:
USAF_MetalChris wrote:
...how the hell can they justify taking away his guns? And how the hell do guns have anything to do with a drowning?

Very sad day forour constitutionindeed.

The guy is a scum bag, but what is important here is:

FOID = privilege.

Government whim = ability to take away privilege.

FOID = No RIGHT to keep and Bear Arms.

What the government gives, the government can take away.
So, they are saying there is no individual right to own guns? You have to be licensed?

This requirement might be another fallout if SCOTUS rules in favor of Heller.

LEO 229

imported post

So they are keeping them as possible evidence?

Why not seize the house and cars to??

He probably killed his wives but I believe he is entitled to get his property back. Unless they can prove the stuff is in fact evidence they should not be allowed to keep his guns.

The one wife was supposed to have died from drowning... the other cannot be found.

So I fail to see how his guns come into play at this point.

MetalChris

imported post

UPDATE
Source

Drew Peterson has turned himself in to Illinois state authorities on a weapons charge, after a judge issued a warrant for his arrest.[/b]

The former Bolingbrook, Ill., police sergeant and prime suspect in his fourth wife Stacy's disappearance turned himself in Wednesday to Illinois State Police.

The weapons charge stems from the fact that one of the guns authorities seized in their investigation into Stacy Peterson's disappearance is shorter than allowed by Illinois law, according to Peterson's attorney Joel Brodsky.

Brodsky said the weapon in question is an AR-15 semiautomatic assault rifle that Peterson used while he was a police sergeant.

Peterson claimed he legally owned the weapon as an officer, and the law only pertains to civilians.

Stacy Peterson has been missing since October. Drew Peterson has maintained that he had nothing to do with her disappearance, saying she ran off with another man and is in hiding.

Police are also investigating the death of his third wife, Kathleen Savio. She was found dead in a bathtub in 2004. Her death was initially ruled an accident.

After Stacy Peterson disappeared, Savio's body was exhumed and an autopsy determined she was the victim of a homicide.

Peterson retired from the force after Stacy Peterson's disappearance.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
[/i]
More from the PRI.