• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going Postal ?

LEO 229

imported post

To carry a gun makes it equal between you and the guy who can crush you based on size alone.... or a guy with a knife, axe handle, or baseball bat.

Several people armed could possibly shorten the time an active or massshooter has to pop people at a mall or school.

The sad part is that the mass shooter may cause people to believe that guns are bad as too many bad people are participating in mass shootings.

What the anti peopleforget about is that some bad guys use other weapons as described above. So a world without guns means we have to go back to throwing rocks and using clubs. And some daythose would be banned too. :uhoh:

WARCHILD

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
And hey, I'm a postal worker... I should be offended... :cuss:
Yeah, me too, retired vehicle mechanic ,but I'm not. I kind of look at it like a gunslingers rep--- Don't mess with us--- if you want to really confuse people, have it related to you like I used to--- Postal worker, Boyscout leader, and a gun nut all in one! used to get a lot of jokes over that.

TheGrabber

The video is now available

Here is the video for those who didn't get a chance to see it.

[video=youtube_share;VVqMeWpvT_c]http://youtu.be/VVqMeWpvT_c[/video]

since9

Campaign Veteran
The problem with those who "go postal" is that it's difficult to predict when anyone will snap. You can somewhat accurately identify when someone has the tendency to snap, but the percentage of those who will snap under pressure is relatively low. On the other hand, there are classes of folks who would never be identified at risk who nevertheless wind up "going postal."

I carry a firearm for two reasons:

1. Deterrence and protection from criminal activity. CC doesn't nothing to deter criminal activity. The criminals themselves admit they're deterred by OC. Should deterrence fail, response time becomes the most critical factor, and the response time of any CC will always exceed that of a well-mounted, OC'd sidearm.

2. Protection against some nut job. Notice the word "deterrence" is missing. That's because some of these folks walk straight into highly-deterrent situations, such as SS-guarded Presidents, reasonably well-policed events such as Congressman Giffords, as well as situations where they know full well it's a one-way street, such as Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Texas A&M. They never had any hope of coming out alive. They just wanted to go out in a blaze of glory.

The best thing we can do for society at large is to catch them very early in their killing spree and end both the killing spree and their misery at the same time. The only effective means of doing so against a heavily-armed individual is with a firearm.

Redbaron007

The problem with those who "go postal" is that it's difficult to predict when anyone will snap. You can somewhat accurately identify when someone has the tendency to snap, but the percentage of those who will snap under pressure is relatively low. On the other hand, there are classes of folks who would never be identified at risk who nevertheless wind up "going postal."

I carry a firearm for two reasons:

1. Deterrence and protection from criminal activity. CC doesn't nothing to deter criminal activity. The criminals themselves admit they're deterred by OC. Should deterrence fail, response time becomes the most critical factor, and the response time of any CC will always exceed that of a well-mounted, OC'd sidearm.

2. Protection against some nut job. Notice the word "deterrence" is missing. That's because some of these folks walk straight into highly-deterrent situations, such as SS-guarded Presidents, reasonably well-policed events such as Congressman Giffords, as well as situations where they know full well it's a one-way street, such as Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Texas A&M. They never had any hope of coming out alive. They just wanted to go out in a blaze of glory.

The best thing we can do for society at large is to catch them very early in their killing spree and end both the killing spree and their misery at the same time. The only effective means of doing so against a heavily-armed individual is with a firearm.

+100

Very well stated!

okboomer

[...snip some good stuff]

Makes me think about one female student at VTech who was quoted as saying she started sitting by the door of the classroom she had with the shooter because she was afraid his irrational behavior preceeded a massacre that eventually happened. I bet she wishes she could carry on campus at that time!

This is also why I took advanced and tactical pistol classes! Threat assessment, shoot-don't-shoot decision tree, dealing with the aftermath of active shooter, SD shootings, drawing under different conditions, reloading, etc.

eye95

Apropos of the title of this thread only: A postal worker in Montgomery, AL went postal in the main post office building yesterday. The disgruntled employee was a really poor shot. No one was injured or killed. The building, however, suffered a handful of gunshot wounds.

eye95

The police are saying nothing about motive. They are just bragging on their 10-minute response time. If this guy had anything on the ball, I wonder how many unarmed innocents he could have killed in 10 minutes? Seconds count.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>