• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going Postal ?

hogleg

imported post

So did anyone watch this ? I was flipping around and landed on this show on E tv. The 15 Worst Mass Shootings. I originally thought, what is this crap! After watching it I found myself engaged in it somewhat. Even though they had the loud mouths on there like Hlemke and McCarthy. They also had the Security Guard from the New Life Church in CO. as well as the lady from the Luby's cafateria who left her handgun in the car due to a no gun sign. They pointed out just how helpless everyone was in all of these shootings.Theymentioned that Citizens actually helped stop some of these shootings. Like the Texas Tower shooting.

Now I about gagged every time they had loud mouth Helmke on but they did have one interesting sound bite he made. It was after the New life Church shooting in CO. Where the lady security guard shot the gunman as he came down the front hall. He said it shows what an armed trained person on the scene can do in one of these situations. He did not say police. Mistake on his part????????

The other overall thing pointed out was teh amount of time it took for police to arrive on scene at all of these situations. Most were after they were all over or just as the person was choking on a gun barrel after doing the dastertly deeds.

The thing I got out of this was not so much "Anti Gun" it is by the way,but I picked up more of;You are on your own, be advised, the police were too late in everyone of these situations.

xd.40

imported post

hogleg wrote:
[Snip]...They also had the Security Guard from the New Life Church in CO. as well as the lady from the Luby's cafateria who left her handgun in the car due to a no gun sign.
This lady had a concealed handgun permit and wasn't a security guard (just wanted to clarify, not flame). The media wanted to imply that she was a trained security guard. Granted, she was a former LEO (fired for administrative things, I think using bad language or something).

I missed the show, but I will be looking for it though. I can't find anything other than 4 independent shootings using "Going Postal" or "15 Worst Mass Shootings". I'll keep my eyes open though.

hogleg

imported post

Yeah They said she was former police working security for the Church. But if it was not for her being armed it would have been much worse. They credit her having a gun there for stopping it. Even though there were anti gun undertones through out this piece, it was pretty much your on your own when bad guys want to do bad things.It will take shooting them to end it.

I like the fact that they talked with the Luby's cafateria lady and she explained how she was prompted to leave her gun in the car due to no guns allowed. Her parents were both killed in the shooting. Who knows what would have happened if she disobeyed the law.

I actually expected it to be much worse as far as bashing gun owners. Not too bad considering the norm.

I tried looking onE tv schedule to find a followup airring. There were quite a few anchors off of the FOX NEWS network hosting it. Megan Kelly I think was her name and one other that is on Fox alot. So it might actually be a fox program.

It was on 7-9 CDT on E TV Tuesday May 13th

hogleg

imported post

The one thing that got my attention was the explanation for how the incidents went down and how many very unsuspecting folks became victims from behind or out of nowhere. Makes you very aware of your surroundingsand whywe CC.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I try to be aware but have to work on it more: Too many times I just don't scan the area as I should, especially at the gas station whileI am filling up the tank...I'm too focused on that instead.

BTW, the "Luby's Lady" was Suzanna Gratia (then), now Suzanna Gratia-Hupp. She became a TX legislator and pushed for pro-gun legislation such as the TX CHL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanna_Hupp

-- John D.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

hogleg wrote:
The one thing that got my attention was the explanation for how the incidents went down and how many very unsuspecting folks became victims from behind or out of nowhere. Makes you very aware of your surroundingsand whywe CC.

WHO CC ???:cuss:

TJ

hogleg

imported post

Well, we are all not lucky enough to live in an area that is friendly to a .45 on the hip. WishI did.

Huck

imported post

The courageous, and beautiful, heroine of the New Life Church incident is Jeanne Assam. Definately a lady to remember.

Pointman

imported post

Unless carrying for target practice, isn't a person guarding their own security?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

DopaVash wrote:
hogleg wrote:
Well, we are all not lucky enough to live in an area that is friendly to a .45 on the hip. WishI did.

Amen Bother. Amen.

:celebrateGot a Kimber (.45) on the hip in a Serpa and a S&W 4006 (.40) in a Gould & Goodrich..................I OC BOTH:celebrate. God I Love Utah.:lol:

TJ

UTOC-45-44

imported post

DopaVash wrote:
I've very seriously considered going to schoo in Utah... I bet you can guess why...

Yeah I think I do. It's one of the VERY few things that keep me from going to Texas.

Come here and enjoy. We have OC Meets all the time and we average about 40 people:celebrate.

BTW, you are not considering coming here...you WILL come here;).

We welcome ALL souls of deprived freedom:shock:...:lol:.

TJ

Once again, DopaVash , we welcome you and your OCing here:celebrate. Looks like we are more Texan up here than Texas.:lol:

TJ

LEO 229

imported post

glostwreck3sm.jpg

This thread clearly has fallen way off track. :D

Let's get back to the original topic. Maybe you can create another thread to discuss other areas of interest.

imperialism2024

imported post

I'd say that mass shootings are probably the best argument for carrying guns for self-defense, and for reducing crime. For individual confrontations, i.e. walking down a dark alley and getting assaulted, the argument can be made that since most people don't carry guns, criminals won't be deterred and the crimes will still happen, with only the occasional citizen having a gun and then being able to use it in defense. In general, it can argued that carrying a gun for self-defense for those situations is wishful thinking.

However, in a mass shooting, there are many people, increasing the likelihood that one or more people are carrying guns. Someone should be able to get a few shots into the BG, and even if one or two people are killed by the BG before a GG can act, many more deaths will have been prevented. So... it takes a very determined anti to play the "guns are evil" card in regard to mass shootings.