Thread: GA's HB89 Signed Into Law

Post imported post

Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue signed HB 89 into law. The bill, sponsored and advocated by GeorgiaCarry.Org, is the most important pro-gun legislation in the history of Georgia. When the bill takes effect on July 1, 2008, it no longer will be a separate crime, for people with firearms licenses to carry a firearm into a restaurant that serves alcohol, on public transportation, or in state parks. The bill also relaxes car carry restrictions for people eligible for firearms licenses and tightens the time frames for issuance of firearms licenses by probate judges.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/2008...ue-signs-hb-89

Post imported post

Post imported post

woot woot

Post imported post

It is significant to note that The Gov did not have to sign HR89. Based on GA's constitution it would become law as long as he did not veto it. So he could have just let it become law by default. By actually signing it he is taking a stand that will unpopular in many business and liberal circles. So whatever you may think of him otherwise, he made a statement by putting his signature on it, when he could have appeased both groups by not signing it at all.

Alf

Post imported post

alfsauve wrote:
    It is significant to note that The Gov did not have to sign HR89. Based on GA's constitution it would become law as long as he did not veto it. So he could have just let it become law by default. By actually signing it he is taking a stand that will unpopular in many business and liberal circles. So whatever you may think of him otherwise, he made a statement by putting his signature on it, when he could have appeased both groups by not signing it at all.

Alf
    That's a great point. I was expecting him to just let it become law without taking any action on it. I'm delighted to see him take a stand and sign it.

Now I can start planning that dinner out for Independence Day!

Post imported post

I'm confused. I saw the report on channel 46 and the reporter said that "if the bill hadn't been signed it would have become law July 1, but since the Gov signed it it's now the "law of the land". OK... which is it, now or July 1st?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

July 1st, Boomer.

Post imported post

Nice to see that I will be legally carrying when I go out to eat and when I take my kids to the state park to fish. Come July 1st. :celebrate

And to think I had said some ugly things about. Sonny. Well I take those back and please except my apology, Mr Perdue :quirky

The most stupid comment I have seen so far is from the restaurant folks saying that it will be too much work to ask people for their CCW license before serving them alcohol. Unless you are open carry the twits have no idea you are armed in the first place. The act like folks are going to wander in throw their AK on the table and ask for a shot of Jack.

Post imported post

Ravenbear wrote:
    Nice to see that I will be legally carrying when I go out to eat and when I take my kids to the state park to fish. Come July 1st. :celebrate
    Beware of "public fishing areas" that did not manage to make it into HB 89. I do not know if there are any in state parks, but they do have some in WMAs. I should think this exception would be swallowed by the rule, but still, use caution.

Post imported post

Ravenbear wrote:
    The most stupid comment I have seen so far is from the restaurant folks saying that it will be too much work to ask people for their CCW license before serving them alcohol. Unless you are open carry the twits have no idea you are armed in the first place. The act like folks are going to wander in throw their AK on the table and ask for a shot of Jack.
    I know, it's ridiculous how some people are reacting to this. I won't be surprised if some restaurants tell their staff tostart asking patrons who order alcohol if they are armed before serving it to them.

What amazed me is that even where I work (where having a weapon on your hip is part of the job) there were a lot of people who were against HB 89 when I told them about it. I told people about the ban on drinking while armed that's in the bill and called that the pistol packer's equivalent to an open container law, and I even told them about GFL holders having a lower rate of crimes committed than our LEOs do as mentioned by Sen. Chip Rogers during debate on it, and still I ran into all kinds of opposition to it. Those arguments did sway some people though.Those who supported the idea did tell me they would at least email Gov. Perdue to support it if I gave them the email address, which I did. I didn't offer the governor'semail address to the others who opposed it.

I guess I'm teaching political activism now!

Post imported post

It's about time things started going in our favor.
    Doc