• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FLS photographer is an idiot

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The picture with today's front page story on the Free Lance-Star's website is
lo0514academy1.jpg
. The story is on people going through the local police academy.

This is stupid on so many levels. How stupid is the photographer to be taking that picture?

And, even if the gun is unloaded and his finger is off the trigger, why is the cadet pointing it at the photographer? Did the academy not teach firearm safety?

ETA: link to story

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Maybe the camera is on a tripod with a remote shutter release... Calling someone an idiot without knowing all the facts does a pretty good job of making you look like an.....

Rey

imported post

I'm notgoing to call anyone stupid, and I've seen them use the tripod and shutter release to get nice angle shots on a firing line, but the cant of the picture would suggest it is being handheld. Regardless, why would you, as a cadet, think that that's an appropriate thing to do?What does that say? Look at it and tell me what can possibly be going through that cadet's mind. You know what I think he's thinking? "I'm so cool." Reminds me of what my first platoon sergeant used to say...

"Well done, stupid."

See.I didn't call anyone stupid. ;)

sidestreet

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Did the academy not teach firearm safety?
As a graduate of 2 different law enforcement academies, I can tell you that firearms safety is not widely taught.

+1

I think much of the general public would be shocked at how little firearms training (safety or otherwise) some LEO's get. I knowof a state law enforcement agency that has planned to cut it'sfirearms qualification schedule in half due to"budget concerns".

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

At least his finger is along the slide and not on the trigger. And judging from the gun handling of the guy behind him, I'm guessing the weapons had been "safed" at some point before this. Still not smart if a handheld camera, but we've certainly seen worse.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The photo just needs a new caption.

In the spirit of Mark Twain's Tennessee Journalism:

"Journalist on deliberate misquote discovers he shouldn't have."

"Yellow journalism begets yellow puddle."

"Local man expresses his appreciation for editorial stance."

"Journalist's last photo."

"Reporter got what editor deserved."

:)

"Latest hairstyle for Glock owners who wished they hadn't traded their Kimber."

(that'll start something :))

nova

imported post

Citizen wrote:
"Latest hairstyle for Glock owners who wished they hadn't traded their Kimber."

(that'll start something :))
Hahaha I didn't even notice that hair until you said that! :lol::lol:

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Maybe the camera is on a tripod with a remote shutter release... Calling someone an idiot without knowing all the facts does a pretty good job of making you look like an.....

The camera is not always where it seems to be. Useing a tilt/shift lens the camera can be off to the side a bit but still look like it is right in front of of the subject.

stryth

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Interesting image! First, his eyes are looking up - not only is he not looking at his sights, he's not looking beyond his sights. Second, This shot was taken with an extremely fast aperture - see how the gun is in focus, be the officer's face isn't? My money is on an aperture around f/1.4. Point being this - It's extremely difficult to get the focus right without framing the shot. Mirror is a possibility, but I'd say there's no way this could have been a tilt/shift. I'll again put money down that the cameraman has his eye at the viewfinder for this shot.

Even more interesting is that the second person back also has a pistol drawn, and is also not looking where he's pointing.