Thread: Lewis County parks firearms policy

Post imported post

12.05.050 Firearms and weapons. It is unlawful for any person to discharge or display any firearm or weapon on park property.
    This is from the Lewis County Code.

"Display" -- sounds contrary to open carry and state preemption. Worth challenging?

I'm applying for a county job currently, so I'd have to tread carefully...

Post imported post

t3rmin wrote:
    12.05.050 Firearms and weapons. It is unlawful for any person to discharge or display any firearm or weapon on park property.
    This is from the Lewis County Code.

"Display" -- sounds contrary to open carry and state preemption. Worth challenging?

I'm applying for a county job currently, so I'd have to tread carefully...
    It is not that it sounds contrary to open cary and pre-emption, it is that the code is inconsistent with and more restrictive than state law.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    It is not that it sounds contrary to open cary and pre-emption, it is that the code is inconsistent with and more restrictive than state law.
    +1.

You can present this statement and a copy of 9.41.290 and that is all that should be necessary to fix the issue.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Yep, you guys are right. It's definitely not kosher and is worth challenging.

I may need to give it a while, though, I'm in a precarious position with a really great potential job with THIS county. ;-)

Any other Lewis County folk who want to run with this? I'd be happy to write up a letter and you can put your name on it.

Post imported post

I sent a letter to the prosecuting attorney and commissioners some time ago.

I received a reply this week from the prosecuting attorney stating he was looking in to the matter and would get back to me.