• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lewis County parks firearms policy

t3rmin

imported post

12.05.050 Firearms and weapons. It is unlawful for any person to discharge or display any firearm or weapon on park property.
This is from the Lewis County Code.

"Display" -- sounds contrary to open carry and state preemption. Worth challenging?

I'm applying for a county job currently, so I'd have to tread carefully... :exclaim:

joeroket

imported post

t3rmin wrote:
12.05.050 Firearms and weapons. It is unlawful for any person to discharge or display any firearm or weapon on park property.
This is from the Lewis County Code.

"Display" -- sounds contrary to open carry and state preemption. Worth challenging?

I'm applying for a county job currently, so I'd have to tread carefully... :exclaim:
It is not that it sounds contrary to open cary and pre-emption, it is that the code is inconsistent with and more restrictive than state law.

just_a_car

imported post

joeroket wrote:
It is not that it sounds contrary to open cary and pre-emption, it is that the code is inconsistent with and more restrictive than state law.
+1.

You can present this statement and a copy of 9.41.290 and that is all that should be necessary to fix the issue.

t3rmin

imported post

Yep, you guys are right. It's definitely not kosher and is worth challenging.

I may need to give it a while, though, I'm in a precarious position with a really great potential job with THIS county. ;-)

Any other Lewis County folk who want to run with this? I'd be happy to write up a letter and you can put your name on it.

t3rmin

imported post

I sent a letter to the prosecuting attorney and commissioners some time ago.

I received a reply this week from the prosecuting attorney stating he was looking in to the matter and would get back to me.