• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So today was the 47th Day

mobeewan

imported post

I agree. If some localities can get permits issued in less than 2 weeks, then there is no justified reason other localities cannot do it too. I was just pointing out that even though the law says 45 days it could legally be longer.

ChinChin

imported post

today is day 45 for me and my renewal. The mail arrives between 2PM and 3PM here, so if not in today, I'll Carol a call tomorrow and ask for her assistence.

How did we get such a sweet advocate inside the courthouses? Sounds like Carol is a gem of a find.

Lysander

imported post

mellman wrote:
I just got offt he phone with Carol Snow - indeed very nice.
Apparently the judges were all out last weekbut it was sent up to be signed on Friday.

I've been super busy with work & buying a house so I have not had a chance to go down and pickup a temp permit, however I will be contacting the VCDL with all of this information.

She is going to call me on Wednesday when it's signed and I will be able to go down to the courthouse and pick it up.

yay!
There was a Judicial Conference last week (12th - 16th). I know the City of Alexandria Circuit Court was affected, thus would believe that Fairfax was as well. (Other courts, such as General District Court. Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court, or both of them, are not necessarily on the same track as Circuit Court for Judicial Conferences.)

No (routine) Orders were being signed that week; I've yet to have an emergency during a Judicial Conference week, but presume that a substitute Judge can be pulled in on such emergency matters. (the permit, however, is most likely NOT considered an emergency matter).

Lysander

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
today is day 45 for me and my renewal. The mail arrives between 2PM and 3PM here, so if not in today, I'll Carol a call tomorrow and ask for her assistence.

How did we get such a sweet advocate inside the courthouses? Sounds like Carol is a gem of a find.
If she is who I am thinking of, she's an NRA member and has her own permit.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lysander wrote:
mellman wrote:
I just got offt he phone with Carol Snow - indeed very nice.
Apparently the judges were all out last weekbut it was sent up to be signed on Friday.

I've been super busy with work & buying a house so I have not had a chance to go down and pickup a temp permit, however I will be contacting the VCDL with all of this information.

She is going to call me on Wednesday when it's signed and I will be able to go down to the courthouse and pick it up.

yay!
There was a Judicial Conference last week (12th - 16th). I know the City of Alexandria Circuit Court was affected, thus would believe that Fairfax was as well. (Other courts, such as General District Court. Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court, or both of them, are not necessarily on the same track as Circuit Court for Judicial Conferences.)

No (routine) Orders were being signed that week; I've yet to have an emergency during a Judicial Conference week, but presume that a substitute Judge can be pulled in on such emergency matters. (the permit, however, is most likely NOT considered an emergency matter).
Neither is the judicial conference. They knew when it was, and knew when the permit was due. The law says 45 days, not 45 days unless you're busy...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Carol told me earlier this year that they processed a little over 2000 CHPs last year, and something around 1900 the year before. (My memory is a little foggy so the actual figures may be more.) That's something like 7-9 per day. I can understand if they get a little overwhelmed.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AbNo wrote:
If that's why they are running behind, that's a GOOD thing, right? ;)

Yes!

Maybe we should take up a collection and send Carol some flowers and Officer Eric Tate something to show our appreciation.

And then bug the General Assembly, or whoever,for more money for a little more staff coverage so they can get done on time.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
AbNo wrote:

Yes!

Maybe we should take up a collection and send Carol some flowers and Officer Eric Tate something to show our appreciation.

And then bug the General Assembly, or whoever,for more money for a little more staff coverage so they can get done on time.
If we just got the GA to repeal 18-2.308 they wouldn't need any money at all, and they'd never be behind..

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I know for a fact that not every Circuit Court judge attends those conferences. They also ALWAYS have at leastonesub judge in daily for arraignments, emergency hearings, etc. All the clerk has to do is ask one to sign the permits and the sub's (usually practicing lawyers or retired judges) would be happy to do it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
AbNo wrote:
SNIP And then bug the General Assembly, or whoever,for more money for a little more staff coverage so they can get done on time.
If we just got the GA to repeal 18-2.308 they wouldn't need any money at all, and they'd never be behind..

:D

Philip is awesome!! But I think that might take him a little while. In the meantime, I wonder if they would accept citizen volunteers to help speed the process along? :)

Lysander

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I know for a fact that not every Circuit Court judge attends those conferences. They also ALWAYS have at leastonesub judge in daily for arraignments, emergency hearings, etc. All the clerk has to do is ask one to sign the permits and the sub's (usually practicing lawyers or retired judges) would be happy to do it.
They may not all attend the conference - though, they should if they're not planning on doing anything else that week. I wasn't claiming that the conference fully justified the delay; only as a possible source.

By the same token, if they're bringing in a sub/retired judge to sign documents, why can't they also hear my motion (which Fairfax usually does not hear at all during judicial conferences - except for "emergency" motions.) :celebrate [sup](This is a hypothetical - no matters I was involved in had motions that could have been scheduled that week, anyways.)[/sup]

ChinChin

imported post

Just spoke to somebody in the civil filing office (Carol was not in or available)

My application for renewal was submitted on April 7th

My permit went up on May 9th and is still in chambers.

Today is day 46. Carol doesn't seem to be reachable. . .ideas? When I asked the lady for a temporary given the 45 days required for me to be notified, approved or denied was exceeded I was told "We don't do that."

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Just spoke to somebody in the civil filing office (Carol was not in or available)

My application for renewal was submitted on April 7th

My permit went up on May 9th and is still in chambers.

Today is day 46. Carol doesn't seem to be reachable. . .ideas? When I asked the lady for a temporary given the 45 days required for me to be notified, approved or denied was exceeded I was told "We don't do that."
Then they're breaking the law. Print a copy, go down there, and demand a temporary permit...

ChinChin

imported post

Bah! Carol isn't in today. I'm due at a home closing (first new home) in 30 minutes, otherwise I'd head down there and (politely) demand my temp permit. As it stands it would appear I'll fare better if Carol is there to assist on Tuesday when they reopen after the holiday weekend.