• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A number of questions

Weak 9mm

imported post

Is it standard practice to lock threads on these forums with no explanation?

If so, how are the creators of these threads supposed to know what they did wrong and correct these actions in the future?

Why, when a thread is locked, is the person who locked it not mentioned?

I ended up making another thread just to find out why it was locked, because I couldn't tell who to ask about it. I know the second thread was not appropriate, yet for some reason it was never locked! My other thread, while obviously exposing me as having an IQ of approximately 43, was locked nearly immediately.

Finally, why was my thread locked while others that aren't exactly related to the topics described under each forum are allowed to remain up?

The thread in question is here:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/10580.html

Yes, I already know I'm an idiot because I've never watched the show. I fail to see how this thread was not related to firearms. While I do realize that this is an OC forum, I didn't think that a state forum would be so against any discussion outside of OC. I see many threads not related to "stories about OC" being posted in state forums and they aren't locked. I wanted to discuss perceptions of firearms, hunting, etc by the general public. I thought that since I'd probably be meeting a number of these folks on May 21st that a friendly conversation would not be out of line in the state forums. I also didn't realize I had to state my points so explicitly from the beginning, nor did I realize that jokingly stating that the show creators "suck too" would be so personally insulting to others. My pathetic "justification" for not posting it in the general section can be found in the second thread I made. I would also like to know why the thread wasn't just moved if it was in the wrong place.

Note that it does appear that I was a bit on edge about the thread being locked and other comments, and the individual did not mean any harm by his statements. I do not wish to create any problems on these forums, but just wanted some clarification on what is and isn't appropriate to post. Thank you for your time.

mzbk2l

imported post

Good questions, but I don't have any answers for you.

I will say that I find it much more considerate when whoever locks the thread takes a moment to comment on why it was locked.

xd.40

imported post

I will assume that they were locked because they were off topic. Usually in the VA threads and others I frequent, the threads are locked by the last admin that was there and sometimes they say something to the effect of "off topic" or something similar. You can always PM the state admin for the thread you are in and ask them...

Weak 9mm

imported post

The state admin is who said the comments I thought to be rude in the thread I made to ask about why it was locked. He also stated that he did not know who had locked it.

Again, I fail to see how it was any more off topic than a thread about a concealed carry permit. It was about firearms, hunting and public perceptions.

It has now been clarified that the individual was not being rude. But again, thank you for your input.

xd.40

imported post

Well, I've got nothing for you - although you could voice your concerns to jpierce. Send him a message. He's real good about getting back to you when he gets the chance and is very helpful and nice.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Certainly, I mean I didn't think you had "something" for me either. I was hoping for a number of mods to chime in on this rather than just one, hence the thread rather than a single PM. It would be helpful to be a bit more standardized in the manner of handling these issues.

Edited in this note:

It has been clarified that the individual was not intending to be rude.

xd.40

imported post

No offense, but that didn't seem to be rude, at least to me. A lot of users here have a problem relaying sarcasm and humor; I think this admin used "lol" (laugh(ing) out loud). They said it was closed because it was "I'd be willing to bet it was locked because it was so incredibly off topic there was no way to justify it being here lol. Your question was answered, after all....right?". I would just say to blow it off :lol:

Weak 9mm

imported post

Did you read the thread or just my quote?

Again, I find it rude when I ask a nice question to respond in such a manner and then say:

Your question was answered, after all....right?
Say that aloud to yourself. Would you say that to someone? If the ",after all.... right?" weren't there it would probably come across nicer, but still not that nice. If he didn't want it to sound rude, all he had to say was "Did I answer your question?"

Again, you can smile while being rude.

Did you actually read anything I linked? If so, did you find it so far off topic that it was unbelievable?

If so, do you think that other topics that aren't 100% about OC should be locked as well?

If not, why?

If so, have you noticed that doesn't happen often at all?

Edited in this note:

It was just clarified that the individual did not intend this to be rude.

xd.40

imported post

I understand - all I can say is that it is hard to translate emotion, humor and sarcasm on here. You gotta have alligator skin. :lol:

Weak 9mm

imported post

Yeah, I think that this is actually one of the best forums I've ever seen in terms of people not being rude. I don't expect the average person to be nice at all on the internet. Again, this is really related to the fact that a mod made the comments.

That and the fact that I was planning to go to a meet which this individual was possibly attending. To me it's just a little surprising that a mod would do this under such circumstances.

Edited in this note:

It was just clarified that the individual did not intend to be rude.

tarzan1888

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Did you read the thread or just my quote?

Again, I find it rude when I ask a nice question to respond in such a manner and then say:

Your question was answered, after all....right?
Again, you can smile while being rude.

Again, did you actually read anything I linked? If so, did you find it so far off topic that it was unbelievable?

If so, do you think that other topics that aren't 100% about OC should be locked as well?

If so, have you noticed that doesn't happen often at all?

If not, why?

You know what I think rude is.

I think it is to go somewhere that is free and then complain because you don't like the rules or how the person who is putting on the party, runs that party.

I read both referenced threads and this thread, and I only see one rude person represented. Look in the mirror and you will see him too. :what:

Have a nice day. :)

Tarzan

Weak 9mm

imported post

Thank you for your input tarzan. Although it was pretty off topic. ;)

Those were all perfectly nice and reasonable questions, I am genuinely interested in knowing his/her thoughts on those. I'm not sure where I complained about rules or paying for it. The random enforcement and lack of explanation of the rules is what I am asking about. I also didn't think it was a party. As the party store used to say "have a ballooney day!" :)

Edited in this note:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Is it standard practice to lock threads on these forums with no explanation?
If the topic is not about guns, it is at least subject to being deleted without explanation - that's what i do when I have time. I don't lock threads - I destroy them. Maybe other mods are nicer.

The further it is away from guns, some liberty interst sort of related to guns, police procedure remotely related to guns, the more likley the thread is to be deleted.

This web site is primarliy for precise focussed thinking thru gun rights issues and organizing action on these issues. That's why we throw penalty flags on folks stating rules of law without citation to authority, etc.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Thank you very much Mike. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

In the future I will make sure to make threads related to OC.

Also note that I don't have a problem with the thread being trashed, I would honestly prefer it as the thread makes note of my low IQ. :)

It has been clarified that the individual was in fact not trying to be rude. Therefore I do apologize for being so on edge about it.

In the future though I will keep Mike's comments in mind and will make every attempt to remain on topic.

Thanks again guys!

tarzan1888

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Thank you for your input tarzan. Although it was pretty off topic. ;)

Those were all perfectly nice and reasonable questions, I am genuinely interested in knowing his/her thoughts on those. I'm not sure where I complained about rules or paying for it. The random enforcement and lack of explanation of the rules is what I am asking about. I also didn't think it was a party. As the party store used to say "have a ballooney day!" :)

Edited in this note:

You are welcome.

As I read my post I see that You were not the only one who needs to look in the mirror. :shock:

Tarzan

tarzan1888

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
We all have our days it seems. :)

That is true, and I have had mine too.

I remember some months back when I twisted off and ended up having a number of my posts deleted by Longwatch.

There were a lot of others in that same thread that really laid into Longwatch and his "Gestapo" tactics......But after I thought a little I realized that he was only doing his job and as I thought a little straighter,I had to agree with what he had done.

Yes I didn't like being slapped on the hand, even if I deserved it.

Tarzan

imperialism2024

imported post

The mods always err on the side of freedom in regards to threads. I could probably list about 50 threads right now from the first 5 pages of the General Discussion and News forums that should have been locked long ago for being OT, but remain open. It's very rare that threads are locked, and when they are, it's typically due to flame wars and/or dead horse beating. For the threads that are closed after only a few posts, it's typically very obvious why. See http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/10905.html

I used to be very critical of the moderation here. Then I realized that the fairly strict (but fair) moderation is what makes this forum run as well as it runs.

With that being said, it would be nice if the mod who closes a thread would at least sign it and leave a brief comment about why it's being locked. I'm personally not a fan of deleting threads, unless they're blatantly illegal or counter-productive to this forum, but hey, it's not my site, so I'll go along with it. :)