• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dating

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dahwg wrote:
SNIP I agree Freud was a loon.

Oh, hell.

Here come the wildlife advocates. I can see the next press release:

[align=center]Dahwg Unfair To Loons![/align]
[align=center][/align]

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Unfortunately, Freud didn't actually say that:

FROM

Misattributed
  • A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    • This is not is not a statement that appears in any translation of any of Freud's works. It is a paraphrase of a statement from the essay "Guns, Murders, and the Constitution" (February 1990) by Don B. Kates, Jr. where Kates summarizes his views of passages in Dreams in Folklore (1958) by Freud and David E. Oppenheim, while disputing statements by Emmanuel Tanay in "Neurotic Attachment to Guns" in a 1976 edition of The Fifty Minute Hour: A Collection of True Psychoanalytic Tales (1955) by Robert Mitchell Lindner:
Dr. Tanay is perhaps unaware of — in any event, he does not cite — other passages more relevant to his argument. In these other passages Freud associates retarded sexual and emotional development not with gun ownership, but with fear and loathing of weapons. The probative importance that ought to be attached to the views of Freud is, of course, a matter of opinion. The point here is only that those views provide no support for the penis theory of gun ownership. Due to misreading of this essay and its citations, this paraphrase of an opinion about Freud's ideas has been wrongly attributed to Freud himself, and specifically to his 10th Lecture "Symbolism in Dreams" in General Introduction to Psychoanalysis on some internet forum pages: alt.quotations, uk.politics.guns, talk.politics.guns, can.talk.guns , etc.

ETA: Actually I have read Freud extensively and he wasn't as far off as people have been led to believe, especially when viewed in the context of his being a pioneer in the field of psychology. Granted he was overly fixated on certain psychosexual matters, but far from a loon.

mkl

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
Dahwg wrote:
Wow, I guess I was just lucky.  My wife was a gun owner before we met. 

on that note...

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis (1952)
...thanks for posting that quote Bravo_Sierra- that explains a lot about my EX wife. :lol:

Yeah, well, use it, but Freud's theories have been largely discredited. Not all things in life can be, or should be, boiled down to sex and/or aggression. This particular quote can still be justified without Freud; most fears concerning weapons boil down to the following: "Those who have weapons are capable of killing me. I do not want to die and so I do not want them to have that power over me". This does indeed indicate an immaturity; the belief that some parental entity should protect you from others. The other major argument involves the gun as an intelligent or at least intelligence-modifying object, and by its very presence it is thus more likely to be used. This is also immature as it is irrational and emotionally based.

It's not a real Freud quote, so his theories being discredited doesn't matter;)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I asked my wife about what OP is asking and she said that she would want to know BEFORE that the Date that you carried so that she would know what to expect. She said that this is just out of respect. This way the person could open up with thrust from the beginning. Not "hidding" anything.

In other words DON'T waste yours or the other persons time and you will weed out from the beginning.

TJ

Dahwg

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Dahwg wrote:

Oh, hell.

Here come the wildlife advocates. I can see the next press release:

[align=center]Dahwg Unfair To Loons![/align]

[align=center][/align]
That's just not true! I love loons!!!!

big.gif

...they taste like chicken.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dahwg wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Dahwg wrote:
SNIP Dahwg Unfair To Loons!
SNIP That's just not true! I love loons!!!!

...they taste like chicken.

:D

Oh, then the press release will look something like:

[align=center]DahwgLoves Loons
[/align]
[align=center]Freudian Analyst Reviews Case
[/align]
[align=left]Of coursesomescurrilous rag sheet might headline:[/align]
[align=center]Sex With Chickens
[/align]
[align=center]Local Man's Tastes Linked to Freud[/align]

imperialism2024

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Unfortunately, Freud didn't actually say that:

FROM

Misattributed
  • A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    • This is not is not a statement that appears in any translation of any of Freud's works. It is a paraphrase of a statement from the essay "Guns, Murders, and the Constitution" (February 1990) by Don B. Kates, Jr. where Kates summarizes his views of passages in Dreams in Folklore (1958) by Freud and David E. Oppenheim, while disputing statements by Emmanuel Tanay in "Neurotic Attachment to Guns" in a 1976 edition of The Fifty Minute Hour: A Collection of True Psychoanalytic Tales (1955) by Robert Mitchell Lindner:
Dr. Tanay is perhaps unaware of — in any event, he does not cite — other passages more relevant to his argument. In these other passages Freud associates retarded sexual and emotional development not with gun ownership, but with fear and loathing of weapons. The probative importance that ought to be attached to the views of Freud is, of course, a matter of opinion. The point here is only that those views provide no support for the penis theory of gun ownership. Due to misreading of this essay and its citations, this paraphrase of an opinion about Freud's ideas has been wrongly attributed to Freud himself, and specifically to his 10th Lecture "Symbolism in Dreams" in General Introduction to Psychoanalysis on some internet forum pages: alt.quotations, uk.politics.guns, talk.politics.guns, can.talk.guns , etc.

ETA: Actually I have read Freud extensively and he wasn't as far off as people have been led to believe, especially when viewed in the context of his being a pioneer in the field of psychology. Granted he was overly fixated on certain psychosexual matters, but far from a loon.
Thanks for saving me some copy-pasting and typing. I wanted to say it, but was too lazy to do so... :uhoh:

YellowHorse

imported post

Aberk wrote:
VTNGNR wrote:
You could always just set up the date at the shooting range, that'll weed any anti's out quickly ;)
That was going to be my plan.
Hi all, I have been lurking for quite a long time. I saw this post and registered just so I could put in my 2 cents, lol.

As the only woman ? here, I think that setting up your date at the shooting range would be your best bet. And, if it's someone like me, they will love the change from the old "dinner and a movie" routine ;)

If she's up for going out to the range, then she's either pro-gun or open minded enough to learn what you have to teach her and that's a step in the right direction :cool:

I, personally, would not be "freaked out" or think a guy creepy or wierd for OCing on a first date, but, then again,I am not your usual lady :lol:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

YellowHorse wrote:
SNIP Hi all, I have been lurking for quite a long time. I saw this post and registered just so I could put in my 2 cents, lol.

As the only woman ? here, I think that setting up your date at the shooting range would be your best bet. And, if it's someone like me, they will love the change from the old "dinner and a movie" routine ;)

If she's up for going out to the range, then she's either pro-gun or open minded enough to learn what you have to teach her and that's a step in the right direction :cool:

I, personally, would not be "freaked out" or think a guy creepy or wierd for OCing on a first date, but, then again,I am not your usual lady :lol:
Welcome to OCDO!!!

There are a few women, here. More are certainly welcome!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

YellowHorse wrote:
Aberk wrote:
VTNGNR wrote:
You could always just set up the date at the shooting range, that'll weed any anti's out quickly ;)
Hi all, I have been lurking for quite a long time. I saw this post and registered just so I could put in my 2 cents, lol.

Damn it, and I just happened to married:cuss:.....:lol:....Just kidding.

It's good to know that there are no "gun shy" ladies out there.

Welcome to OCDO BTW YellowHorse

TJ

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
YellowHorse wrote:
SNIP Hi all, I have been lurking for quite a long time. I saw this post and registered just so I could put in my 2 cents, lol.

Welcome to OCDO!!!

There are a few women, here. More are certainly welcome!
+1

Flintlock

imported post

YellowHorse wrote:
Aberk wrote:
VTNGNR wrote:

Welcome to OCDO! We look forward to havingyour insightand perspective on the forum.

Phssthpok

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
I asked my wife about what OP is asking and she said that she would want to know BEFORE that the Date that you carried so that she would know what to expect. She said that this is just out of respect. This way the person could open up with thrust from the beginning. Not "hidding" anything.

In other words DON'T waste yours or the other persons time and you will weed out from the beginning.

TJ

Huh-huh...huh-huh-huh... You said 'THRUST'...huh-huh-huh....

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:

TJ

Huh-huh...huh-huh-huh... You said 'THRUST'...huh-huh-huh....

Yeah, yeah, keep your mind in the gutter. I of course meant TRUST.

But you fuuuny:lol:

TJ