• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is why I carry a gun

Sleepless

imported post

One thing I am wondering is why the hell did they fire him the next month and not immediately when they heard what was on the tape seeing as he was obviously not the right person for the job.

That is what I would like to know anyway but that is just me.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I heard the recording on the news in the last few days on the news. I have to wonder if this recent spate of 911 failure stories in the news are due to an actual change in failures of calls to 911 or if this is just a spike in the reporting of the happenings. Either way, the fact that it happens that often for now reinforces my decision to carry.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

From what I heard on the recording, he hung up with her first and then said the comment to himself, which of course is still recorded.

Years ago, I did 911. I remember a guy who called 911 to have the fire department come jump start his dead battery so that he could go to work. I told him 3 times that the FD didnt do that, but he insisted that's what his taxes were for. We had a button that played a recording that said that you are not calling for an emergency, so I gave him that recording. I dont remember, but I'm sure I had a choice word for him after I hung up.

None of what he said excuses the fact that he didnt take the call seriously though, he should have been fired asap. Anyone can tell that she really did have a true emergency.

Sleepless

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Sleepless wrote:
One thing I am wondering is why the hell did they fire him the next month and not immediately....
Maybe:
- union regs
- finishing the investigation so as to CYA from wrong termination lawsuit
I sure as hell hope that he wasn't allowed to work with dispatching units from the time of the comment until he was fired.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Sleepless wrote:
One thing I am wondering is why the hell did they fire him the next month and not immediately when they heard what was on the tape seeing as he was obviously not the right person for the job.

That is what I would like to know anyway but that is just me.

Call Centers have a Quality Assurance department that listens to and grades call. Because there is sometimes 10-15 call center agents to every 1 QA rep, most od the time calls are reviewed far after the incident. So unless someone complains by calling the corporate office, sometimes this issues go unnoticed for a while.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I try not to think of 911 comms centers like call centers for GEICO, credit card companies, computer support, etc. Although, I'm surprised some cash strapped locality hasn't tried to outsource their 911 center to India, Pakistan, etc.

psmartin

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
From what I heard on the recording, he hung up with her first and then said the comment to himself, which of course is still recorded.

Years ago, I did 911. I remember a guy who called 911 to have the fire department come jump start his dead battery so that he could go to work. I told him 3 times that the FD didnt do that, but he insisted that's what his taxes were for. We had a button that played a recording that said that you are not calling for an emergency, so I gave him that recording. I dont remember, but I'm sure I had a choice word for him after I hung up.

None of what he said excuses the fact that he didnt take the call seriously though, he should have been fired asap. Anyone can tell that she really did have a true emergency.
I don't see why the guy should have been fired.. maybe written-up, it's no wonder that 911 centers can't keep employees.

With the advent of the cellular telephone, professional "victims" can call on authorities 24/7/365 without even walking to a neighbors house that has working phone service! (after all, federal law mandates that cellular carriers route 911 calls on disconnected phones)

While I'm sure the lady's call had merit, there are many cases of "professional victims"..

"Victim" chooses to only date men who beat her up, and especially when they get drunk.. said Victim always ensures the fridge if stocked with beer for her men, even if the tot's are going without proper nutrition.

I'm sure there is more to this story, the call-taker lost his temper, but I can't say that I wouldn't do the same (and that is why my boss keeps me locked in the server-room !)

PT111

imported post

Something is wrong here.

From the first paragraph of the article:
A Nashville 911 operator has been fired after saying during a call that he didn't "give a s---" about what happened to a woman whose ex-boyfriend was threatening her
In the fourth paragraph:
Jones called 911 again two-and-half-hours into the incident to say she was afraid. A recording of the call has operator Frank Roth promising police would be there soon. After Jones hangs up, he says, "I really just don't give a s--- what happens to you."
Now which is it, was it during the callor after? I think the reporter should be fired if the 911 operator is fired. After all the reporter just knowingly slandered the 911 operator in the press. Sounds like a reporter trying to make something out of nothing and from what it sounded like I wouldn't have cared what happened to her either.

I would not have fired thge operator for that comment. Maybe some talking to since he was in training but since he did not tell the woman that, did his job and was just expressing his own opinion, exerting his 1A rights. The whole story is BS to me.

mobeewan

imported post

I heard the call replayedon FOX NEWS Channel. He said it after he hung up on her.He said "I don't really give a shit what happens to her." If you click the link in the original post you can hear it for yourself.