• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to this site

bayfire66

imported post

Hi guys just happened to come across this site on open carry.I have been a CPL holder since 89 and I kinda thought open carry was frowned upon hence why they have CPL's.But I kinda heard it was a open carry state although I was always encourged to carry conceal.I had one open carry inc ident in a Dennys Restuarant in Everett back in 91. I happened to have a .357 mag on a shoulder holster under my coat but I did not want to have to wear this jacket and try to eat my dinner.So I took my jacket off and sat there for about 15 mins eating until a manager told me I was making people uncomfortable and I had to leave the premises,beingsI was fairly new to carrying I complied with his request.This was all goin on with 3 Everett LEOS sitting like 2 tables away from me and not one time did they ever approach me about it.Had I known about my rights then I could have talked to the mananger about open carry laws and its legality.I'm so glad I ran into this site and I plan on Ocing more often now that summer is approaching .I will be reading more and more and educating myself.Thank You. OC on :)

carhas0

imported post

Welcome to the site, bayfire66! I think you'll find that people here are friendly and there is a lot of good information available. We generally have monthly lunches on the third Sunday of every month; this month's lunch is in Everett (information here).

Thanks for sharing your experience in Denny's. I think you handled it well and made the wise choice of leaving. While this is an open carry state, private property owners still have the legal authority to ask you to leave the premises. Failure to do so is trespassing and could result in your arrest. Once you are asked to leave, the safest option is probably to leave immediately and take up the issue later by phone, written correspondance, or arranging a meeting in person. Of course, this applies to concealed carry, too. If you were concealing but your cover garment rode up or you otherwise became unconcealed, the manager still has the authority to ask you to leave.

That said, follow-up with corporate is a good option, because most often larger chains such as Denny's have a policy to follow state law, which in Washington covers both open and concealed carry (as you know). Often, misinformed managers do not realize this and choose to create their own policy or confuse employee policy and customer conduct rules.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sean-1286 wrote:
Welcome to the site, bayfire66! I think you'll find that people here are friendly and there is a lot of good information available. We generally have monthly lunches on the third Sunday of every month; this month's lunch is in Everett (information here).

Thanks for sharing your experience in Denny's. I think you handled it well and made the wise choice of leaving. While this is an open carry state, private property owners still have the legal authority to ask you to leave the premises. Failure to do so is trespassing and could result in your arrest. Once you are asked to leave, the safest option is probably to leave immediately and take up the issue later by phone, written correspondance, or arranging a meeting in person. Of course, this applies to concealed carry, too. If you were concealing but your cover garment rode up or you otherwise became unconcealed, the manager still has the authority to ask you to leave.

That said, follow-up with corporate is a good option, because most often larger chains such as Denny's have a policy to follow state law, which in Washington covers both open and concealed carry (as you know). Often, misinformed managers do not realize this and choose to create their own policy or confuse employee policy and customer conduct rules.

+1

Welcome bayfire66

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome! Back in 91, I'm not sure how OC was handled, probably no different than today. You did the right thing just leaving. Most business' have a policy to mirror state law. Several of us here have OC'd (sometimes on a regular basis) in Denny's and no problem.

Glad you wandered over here!

just_a_car

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Welcome! Back in 91, I'm not sure how OC was handled, probably no different than today. You did the right thing just leaving. Most business' have a policy to mirror state law. Several of us here have OC'd (sometimes on a regular basis) in Denny's and no problem.

Glad you wandered over here!
Well, that's mostly true... we did have that issue with Redmond Denny's where there was a misunderstanding with the manager (who I knew personally) where we were having our monthly lunch meet and it sounded like he was asking us to leave. I went back and spoke to him and he told me that we misunderstood and that wasn't his intention and that we were welcome back.

Also, I had an encounter with Seattle PD in a Denny's on 4th Ave in the industrial/SODO district: Encounter with Seattle PD on 3/28/08