• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another New Member

TJ

imported post

Let me preface this post by saying that I do not now own a weapon, or have a CC permit - yet. However, ironically, I work as a (fairly new) LEO here in WA, and am also in the military. I have wanted a weapon to carry myself for some time now, but between choosing a weapon, and the cost, I havent come up with anything and its one of those things that just keeps getting put off.

Anyway, this is the first forum Ive seen on the open carry topic, so I figured I would drop in and say hi. I cant say that I will be here often since Im not a huge "advocate" I suppose, but I do want to look into the CC and OC laws and regulations and thought this would be a good place to start.

As I stated, I am a fairly young and new LEO (going on a year now), and I have found this topic is probably in the top 20 questions I get (CC/OC laws here in WA). Honestly, it seems from what Ive been reading here as well as whats in the "law books" myself - my partners seem to be vastly misinformed. I can honestly say I received no formal training on the OC topic. As a matter of fact, it wasnt until about 2 hours ago that I was even aware WA is an OC state.

With that said, I would like to know where I can look for resources as to how I can help educate people I run into (both coworkers as well as general public) about proper carry laws or regulations here in WA? As I said, the OC topic is completely new to me. I had never even thought about the flip side of a CC permit until now. The CC permit allows you to carry CONCEALED, but it never really occurred to me that, the way I am reading it, you dont need anything to just plain carry. Yet, it seems so obvious now, haha.

So, sorry for the long first post, but if you have any ideas on where to look for (not word of mouth) information, pamphlets I can print off, pages I can print, whatever to hand out or maybe even try to organize a class on, that would be great! Thanks in advance!

~T.J.

just_a_car

imported post

TJ, welcome to OCDO and thank you very much for your service to our great country.

Our pamphlet that was created by surfj and edited by many here can be found as a PDF here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/7906.html
and a halfway decent jpg here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/10595.html

surfj actually did a print run of 5000 and we all bought some. I'm sure he could be convinced to do another run of them if enough people needed more. I got a set of some and they look outstanding in color on the glossy paper.

To learn more on the local/state laws, I highly suggest taking some free time and reading back into the WA forums, as we've gone over a LOT of issues and many of us are pretty good about citing RCW's to back up our arguments/opinions.

just_a_car

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
Honestly, that's probably not the best idea there, UCP.

I know that Morris caught hell for his relation to our group and seeing as how TJ is a new recruit, he might not get nearly as much "slack" if his superiors catch wind that he's frequenting these forums... plus, we know PD's monitor these forums.

I think a mere welcome and hope for his continued participation is for the best right now.

TJ

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:

I know that Morris caught hell for his relation to our group and seeing as how TJ is a new recruit, he might not get nearly as much "slack" if his superiors catch wind that he's frequenting these forums... plus, we know PD's monitor these forums.

I think a mere welcome and hope for his continued participation is for the best right now.
Honestly, that was the same reaction I had... I was trying to come up with a way to say it without being "harsh".

Thanks for the links though, I will be looking into them!

~T.J.

TJ

imported post

Just looked at some of those training bulletins, thats EXACTLY what I was looking for, thanks! I hope to do my small part in educating my fellow LEOs so that we will not be a part of some of the horror stories I have read here and other places!

~T.J.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome! There are a few LEO's who lurk around here as well, so you are not alone.

Thanks for being interested in the law regarding OC. Given as you are a LEO, you don't need a CPL do you to carry concealed?

Don't own your issue weapon then? I know some departments allow their officers to purchase their own weapon within certain parameters.

If you get down Oly way, I'm always up to meet new people.

Steve

uncoolperson

imported post

TJ wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:

Honestly, that was the same reaction I had... I was trying to come up with a way to say it without being "harsh".

Thanks for the links though, I will be looking into them!

~T.J.
that's why i asked "can"... wasn't expected.

sorry

just_a_car

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
that's why i asked "can"... wasn't expected.

sorry
No worries, doesn't hurt to ask. I just don't think it's the best thing to do now that we know what the consequences can be for those not in "higher up" positions.

TJ, if you're willing to, we're having our Monthly Lunch get-together this Sunday at 1pm in Everett. You are more than welcome to join us, we don't require you bring anything but yourself and a pleasant attitude. :) (e.g., carrying, either concealed or open, is certainly not mandatory and up to those that wish to do so)

TJ

imported post

Thanks for the invite, but due to my location for work as of now, I dont think I will be able to attend. However, I will keep it in mind as my "real home" is a little closer to that :)

Thanks again for the information, its great to have. Is there any information or pamphlets similar to those relating to just regular old CC also with some FAQ answered as far as where its ok, where its not, how to carry if you dont have a CC permit, etc that are geared more to the "average citizen"?

~T.J.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

TJ wrote:
Thanks for the invite, but due to my location for work as of now, I dont think I will be able to attend. However, I will keep it in mind as my "real home" is a little closer to that :)

Thanks again for the information, its great to have. Is there any information or pamphlets similar to those relating to just regular old CC also with some FAQ answered as far as where its ok, where its not, how to carry if you dont have a CC permit, etc that are geared more to the "average citizen"?

~T.J.
Hmm.... the state of washington sends a pamphlet out with every CPL they send out.

Bars, secure areas of courthouses, airports, and mental health facilities.

No offense, but I would expect any LEO to know this.

TJ

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
TJ wrote:

~T.J.
Hmm.... the state of washington sends a pamphlet out with every CPL they send out.

Bars, secure areas of courthouses, airports, and mental health facilities.

No offense, but I would expect any LEO to know this.
I understand that, and I personally am aware of the areas such as you stated. What I am looking for, is a pamphlet to hand out to the (uneducated) general public which will educate THEM if they dont have other resources, or want a "quick answer".

As I said, I get asked these questions very frequently as an "oh by the way" when I am talking with people, and rather than recite the same song and dance over and over again which they may not remember, its nice to give them something to hold and refer to. Does that make sense?

I suppose I could check with my training supplies section of my department and see if they have such a creature, but since you were all so helpful with the last request, I thought I would throw it out there too.

~T.J.

just_a_car

imported post

TJ wrote:
(snip)
~T.J.
No problem. Since you can't make this one, we have our get together every third Sunday of the month, so it's not like you won't have another chance. Plus, we sometimes have impromptu meetings around the state that aren't on that date; just watch the forum here for updates.

Stay safe out there.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

TJ wrote:
I understand that, and I personally am aware of the areas such as you stated. What I am looking for, is a pamphlet to hand out to the (uneducated) general public which will educate THEM if they dont have other resources, or want a "quick answer".

As I said, I get asked these questions very frequently as an "oh by the way" when I am talking with people, and rather than recite the same song and dance over and over again which they may not remember, its nice to give them something to hold and refer to. Does that make sense?

I suppose I could check with my training supplies section of my department and see if they have such a creature, but since you were all so helpful with the last request, I thought I would throw it out there too.

~T.J.
Sorry...
I have no idea of there is such a beast, but it wouldn't be too hard to make. Take the several appliable RCW's and put them on a single sheet of paper. If your training supplies people don't have something like that, I would think they wouldn't have a problem making one.

I'll lay one out for you if you want when I get the time...

TJ

imported post

As an update, I found a nice pamphlet that should work for my needs perfectly that looks like just_a_car has uploaded on that NWCDL site you linked to earlier.

Anyway, looks like I have all I need, although I may be referring back here again. Thanks a lot guys! Ive learned a lot, and found some helpful things for work all in a matter of a couple hours.

~T.J.

just_a_car

imported post

TJ wrote:
As an update, I found a nice pamphlet that should work for my needs perfectly that looks like just_a_car has uploaded on that NWCDL site you linked to earlier.

Anyway, looks like I have all I need, although I may be referring back here again. Thanks a lot guys! Ive learned a lot, and found some helpful things for work all in a matter of a couple hours.

~T.J.
That's what we're here for... education of the truth!

And, yes, I did upload it, but I didn't create it. I can't recall who did, but it was a member here that has the original file on something like imp-sec.org, or some-such site. Just wanted to give credit where credit was due... I was just a file-transfer-drone in this case. ;)

compmanio365

imported post

Good to see another LEO on the board. Glad you found us, TJ....you guys will see more and more of us OCers as time goes on.

Education is going to be the key to making sure both LEOs and the general public are aware of the legality of OC, and that it's nothing to worry about, and should be considered normal, at some point...... :D Thanks for being a part of that, it's much appreciated.

Hope to see you around the forums!

TJ

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Welcome! There are a few LEO's who lurk around here as well, so you are not alone.

Thanks for being interested in the law regarding OC. Given as you are a LEO, you don't need a CPL do you to carry concealed?

Don't own your issue weapon then? I know some departments allow their officers to purchase their own weapon within certain parameters.

If you get down Oly way, I'm always up to meet new people.

Steve
Sorry I missed your post...

To answer most of your questions, I can sum it up with the fact that I dont have a "take home" weapon. It stays in the department arms room. We dont get take home vehicles either. Pain in the butt moving gear from car to car everyday! It would be like coming to work and getting a new cubical everyday, moving everything around to get it "just right" as your work space. Sheesh, what a hassle... I need to find a new department, haha.

~T.J.