• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of state resident and firearms purchases?

smash29

imported post

First off, I realize this could very well be a dumb question but seeing as nobody here knows me i'm willing to riskthe embarrassment.

I'm heading to Alaska (Anchorage area)Monday andI'll likely be away from civilization for at least part of the time I'm there so I'd like to have some sort of protection. I'll behopping a flight to ANC after I finish work (I'm an airline pilot) andI won't have time to retrievea gun from my car and get up to the ticket counter to check it in time.

Now here's the dumb question, the one that i should be able to look up but am instead asking here. Would I be able to purchase a gun in Alaska? I would really prefer to have a firearm with me and any valid reason to purchase another works for me so I just thought I'd ask. Please be gentle in your replies, I'm very sensitive!

Flintlock

imported post

smash29 wrote:
First off, I realize this could very well be a dumb question but seeing as nobody here knows me i'm willing to riskthe embarrassment.

I'm heading to Alaska (Anchorage area)Monday andI'll likely be away from civilization for at least part of the time I'm there so I'd like to have some sort of protection. I'll behopping a flight to ANC after I finish work (I'm an airline pilot) andI won't have time to retrievea gun from my car and get up to the ticket counter to check it in time.

Now here's the dumb question, the one that i should be able to look up but am instead asking here. Would I be able to purchase a gun in Alaska? I would really prefer to have a firearm with me and any valid reason to purchase another works for me so I just thought I'd ask. Please be gentle in your replies, I'm very sensitive!
Interesting..
Well, in order to purchase a firearm from an FFL dealerhere, it's going to require an Alaska drivers license. How long will you be here and what do you mean that you will be away from civilization for a while?

Unless you bring it with you, I don'tsee how it's legally possible to acquire a handgun here unless you stay and become a resident. I believe it would be a violation of federal law even in a private sale situation.

smash29

imported post

Well that answers my question. I figured as much but thought I'd ask anyway.

Guess I'll have to find a way to get one of my own guns up, especially after reading the "wildlife encounters" thread on this forum!

Legba

imported post

The short answer is no. You generally have to be a resident of the state you buy a handgun in. You can get transfers done between FFL licensees back to your home state, but that would need to be the point of sale.

-ljp

Flintlock

imported post

smash29 wrote:

Guess I'll have to find a way to get one of my own guns up, especially after reading the "wildlife encounters" thread on this forum!
There is another thread on this forum about mailing the guns to yourself. I would recommend giving that a read and go from there..

smash29

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
smash29 wrote:

There is another thread on this forum about mailing the guns to yourself. I would recommend giving that a read and go from there..
Could you direct me to that thread? I just looked on the Alaska forum as well assearched the entire discusssion forum but didn't see it.

Flintlock

imported post

smash29 wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
smash29 wrote:

Could you direct me to that thread? I just looked on the Alaska forum as well assearched the entire discusssion forum but didn't see it.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/10814.html