• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

call of a man with a gun probable cause for disarming a citizen?

Godscreation

imported post

In the case of Florida vs. JL the Courts ruled in Florida that an anonymous 911 call of a man with a gun is not probable cause for a “Terry stop”. While this is great for Florida, is there a similar case in NC? I have a small three ring binder with all of NC’s gun laws in it, as well as Supreme Court cases that protect open carry. A ruling like this in NC would be great for my stash of “ammo” to fight back or educate police officers who don’t know the law or who are power hungry. Also, any case regarding this probable cause issue either for NC or a national ruling the by nations Supreme Court would be nice as well. Again, ANY input would be great.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

The last time I checked, any Supreme Court ruling applies to all of the states, and that includes North Carolina. Just because the original case came out of Florida means nothing - a Supreme Court ruling applies to everyone.

Copy the ruling and put it in your binder.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Statkowski wrote:
SNIP Copy the ruling and put it in your binder.

GREAT ADVICE!!

It is a well known fact that beautiful women of all races love men who keep US Supreme Ct. 4th Amendment rulings in binders. :)

Not really, but I can't overstate how helpful it has been to keep a binder (grown to three now). And to keep internet links to frequently consulted opinions.

Godscreation

imported post

Even though the supreme court of Florida ruled it was not probablel cause, that still applies to NC? I thought you couldn't do that. Hm...perhaps I worded it wrong. I mean that the Florida Supreme Court ruled that an a 911 call of a man with a gun is not probable cause for disarming a citizen. I can just picture a a LEO who has had a bad day saying "That's great kid, but this is North Carolina, the florida courts have no juristiction here, drop the gun or you'll get tazed!!!! *THIP* BZZZZZZZ!!!!! and I go flopping like a fish on land.

Decoligny

imported post

Yes, it's alway best to identify the specific Supreme Court you are referring to. If I posted that the Supreme Court ruled yesterday that the ban on gay marraiges was unconstitutional, it would be best if I wrote the California Supreme Court, so nobody in Utah heads out to the courthouse for a license to marry thier significant other.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Statkowski wrote:
ANY ruling from SCOTUS applies to ALL of the states. Again, it does not matter where the case originated - Florida, North Carolina, Iowa or Montana.
YES, but I think Godscreation is TRYING to say that SCOTUS did NOTissue that ruling. it was the Florida State Supreme Court, NOT SCOTUS. FSSC does NOT have any bearing on NC law.

Godscreation

imported post

Hehe, thanks liko81, yeah, that's what I meant to say. How can a state court in Tallahassee Florida have any affect in NC? Also, State V Kerner is a good case for open carry. While another supreme court case called State v Fennell is cited by pro OCers, I have a hard time applying that case for OC. I mean the guy had a sawed off shotgun, that's illegal anyway.

I have added State v Kerner to my binder, and am still on the hunt for a similar case regarding probablel cause.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Godscreation wrote:
Even though the supreme court of Florida ruled it was not probablel cause, that still applies to NC? I thought you couldn't do that. Hm...perhaps I worded it wrong. I mean that the Florida Supreme Court ruled that an a 911 call of a man with a gun is not probable cause for disarming a citizen. I can just picture a a LEO who has had a bad day saying "That's great kid, but this is North Carolina, the florida courts have no juristiction here, drop the gun or you'll get tazed!!!! *THIP* BZZZZZZZ!!!!! and I go flopping like a fish on land.
Uh...the U.S. S. Ct. ruled in this case - please google it up and read it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Godscreation wrote:
SNIP *THIP* BZZZZZZZ!!!!! and I go flopping like a fish on land.

See the little fishy, flopping about

Mean old cop wanted him to shout

Florida vs JL was the case he was told

Now the little fishy is swimming in gold!

Godscreation

imported post

wow, that was a good limerick, er... poem, er... haiku, eh... whatever. This is one reason why threads and forums are not that great. I'll try to be as clear as possible. Mike, you said the US supreme court ruled on this. Do you know where I can get that ruling? I would like to add it to my binder. If you are trying to say that Florida V DL was ruled by the US supreme court, then I'm going to have to disagree with you. If you google the title (Florida v DL) you will see it is to the supreme court of florida.

Nevertheless, my question still stands and my curiosity burns. Does anyone know of a similar ruling in NC?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Godscreation wrote:
wow, that was a good limerick, er... poem, er... haiku, eh... whatever. This is one reason why threads and forums are not that great. I'll try to be as clear as possible. Mike, you said the US supreme court ruled on this. Do you know where I can get that ruling? I would like to add it to my binder. If you are trying to say that Florida V DL was ruled by the US supreme court, then I'm going to have to disagree with you. If you google the title (Florida v DL) you will see it is to the supreme court of florida.
The correct case citation is Florida v. J.L., 529 U.S. 266 (2000) - a case regarding criminal procedure decided by the United States Supreme Court.

You can read the case at http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0529_0266_ZS.html.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Godscreation wrote:
wow, that was a good limerick, er... poem, er... haiku, eh... whatever. This is one reason why threads and forums are not that great.

OK. I'll take the playfulness out of it.

You get tased under the circumstances described, you get money.

Basically, I'magreeing withthe pro-FL v JL posts.

ParaChem

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Statkowski wrote:

GREAT ADVICE!!

It is a well known fact that beautiful women of all races love men who keep US Supreme Ct. 4th Amendment rulings in binders. :)

Not really, but I can't overstate how helpful it has been to keep a binder (grown to three now). And to keep internet links to frequently consulted opinions.

That's a great Idea, Wouldn't happen to have a copy of your binder?

Would be good to have, you could probably sell copies for a decent price.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ParaChem wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Statkowski wrote:
GREAT ADVICE!!

That's a great Idea, Wouldn't happen to have a copy of your binder?

Would be good to have, you could probably sell copies for a decent price.

Oh, yes. Got a copy in my binders.

Mike, Supermoderator, gave us a link a little ways up this page: http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0529_0266_ZO.html