• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Edumacain' at Wally World

GeneticsDave

imported post

I went over to Wally World to get a couple RCBS shell holders and some case lube. While I was being helped at the counter, I heard a lady behind me say to her daughter that she thought I was a police officer (I guess the daughter had asked about my sidearm). The lady then approached me and asked if I was law enforcement. I said no, I was just a normal guy. She asked how I could carry in the open like "that". I proceeded to explain to her that carrying openly is legal in Utah. She asked if I had my permit, I said yes, but that it wasn't required to openly carry as long as there wasn't a round in the chamber. She told me that she has her permit and then the guy at the counter (a nice younger man) chimed in and says that he has his as well, but is unable to carry at work due to Walmart Company Policy.

We had a good chat, talked about Bear Spray for camping, taking a concealed firearm to the Young Women's campout (evidently the ecclesiastical leaders want someone there with their permit and firearm... unusual). I handed out some UtahConcealedCarry.com/OpenCarry.org business cards, so hopefully we will have a few new members here shortly.

Great experience, the Wally World associate even chatted with me all the way to the front of the store and we parted ways past the greeter!

So... this is why I still shop at WW :lol:

GeneticsDave

imported post

Doesn't the one down in South Provo as well? Is there a Wally World closer to you than that? Ours sells the Rock Chucker Supreme press and the starter kit. We have all kinds of powder, shell holders, die sets, accessories, bullets and cases - it's not too shabby. Not as large of a supply as a gun store, but very good for a general retail store.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

The closest Wal*Mart to me is in Payson. I have been to every Wal*Mart in Utah county, and have never seen reloading supplies. The closest thing they have is muzzle loading powder and bullets.

GeneticsDave

imported post

That sucks... sorry to hear that. Is there another place around there that has them? I seem to remember a gun store in Payson that had a ton of stuff (very cramped), but that was back in the nineties.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
We had a good chat, talked about Bear Spray for camping, taking a concealed firearm to the Young Women's campout (evidently the ecclesiastical leaders want someone there with their permit and firearm... unusual).

THIS is unusual. Must be a local leader making the request. Of course I think it is a great idea and personally will NOT go camping without a firearm nearby. But out of deference to general church desires, I keep it concealed when helping out at girls' or scout camps. Of course, after OCing at various church breakfasts (not held inside the Church itself) everyone pretty much assumes I'm armed. ;)

I will always remember the girls' camp where one of the leaders left food in her tent and had a skunk come visit late one night. She called to the girls in the next tent for help and they came across the field to where I had pitched my tent to get help. Of course, you simply CANNOT shoot a skunk in camp unless you want everything to smell of skunk for the next 5 years. But they figured I was the one to chase scarey animals away.

The skunk was gone on his own by the time I got up to the other tent and I strongly suggested that food be properly stored lest the next visitor be a bear and that tents be properly zipped to keep critters and snakes out.