Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 95

Thread: Legality - Concealed Weapon Permit badge

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    I stumbled upon a website at http://www.popguns.com/badge/concealedcarry.htm that sells badges that look like police badges but say Concealed Weapon Perrmit. You can get a badge with your State Seal. Wearing one of these badges could help put the public at ease when they see your gun. However, would a cop think you are trying to impersonate a police officer if he/she saw it? Are badges like this legal

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    Post imported post

    Concealed Carry Badges are legal.

    Most of us, and most of the "persons on the street" are of the opinion that any person who wears one is in need of serious mental health support.

    That being said, feel free to go out and buy one and wear it around town. Do not accept any offers of free donuts, as that might put you into the category of "impersonating a police officer." Do not wonder at the polite stares and head-shaking you observe as you pass by. It's just folks saying "Well bless his heart*."

    stay safe.

    skidmark

    * Southern expression that generally means "That poor goober is such a retard, you just have to make allowances for the things he does."
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  3. #3
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086

    Post imported post

    skidmark wrote:
    Concealed Carry Badges are legal.

    Most of us, and most of the "persons on the street" are of the opinion that any person who wears one is in need of serious mental health support.

    That being said, feel free to go out and buy one and wear it around town.* Do not accept any offers of free donuts, as that might put you into the category of "impersonating a police officer."* Do not wonder at the polite stares and head-shaking you observe as you pass by.* It's just folks saying "Well bless his heart*."

    stay safe.

    skidmark

    * Southern expression that generally means "That poor goober is such a retard, you just have to make allowances for the things he does."
    +1


    Those who think they need badges (that goes for amateur radio operators who think that they need their callsign on a badge, you know who you are) are usually trying to get attention, or make themselves feel important, and are justifying their actions by saying it's legal.

    I drive a crown vic, and unfortunately, there are those that will purchase a used crown victoria and 'cop it out' (add spotlights, flashing amber lights, sirens,etc) and say that they're not impersonating because 'it's not illegal'... While TECHNICALLY it may not be illegal to have lights, antennas, spotlights, etc on a retired police car, EVERYONE knows the intent is to imitate a police vehicle for one reason or another, most of which has to do with the sense of percieved power.

    IOTW, I see someone with a badge that says ANYTHING other than 'police' or 'sheriff' on it, and I'm shaking my head saying 'what a F#%(&ing retard' under my breath (apologies to those who are physically/mentally handicapped).


    In WA, for example, it's pretty clear.

    RCW 9A.60.045
    Criminal impersonation in the second degree.

    (1) A person is guilty of criminal impersonation in the second degree if the person:

    (a)(i) Claims to be a law enforcement officer or creates an impression that he or she is a law enforcement officer; and

    (ii) Under circumstances not amounting to criminal impersonation in the first degree, does an act with intent to convey the impression that he or she is acting in an official capacity and a reasonable person would believe the person is a law enforcement officer; or

    (b) Falsely assumes the identity of a veteran or active duty member of the armed forces of the United States with intent to defraud for the purpose of personal gain or to facilitate any unlawful activity.

    (2) Criminal impersonation in the second degree is a gross misdemeanor.
    If you're attempting to get someone to think you're an officer, it's a crime.

    Other states require a badge, insignia, hat, patch etc. OR A FACSIMILE THEREOF, a 'lookalike' badge definitely falls into that category.


    Here's some stuff that's funny, but quite scary and sad at the same time...

    http://www.policeposers.com/album/main.php

    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NOVA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    732

    Post imported post

    +1 to the other two fellas who posted. You shouldn't need a "badge" to make the public feel at ease that you're carrying a firearm. I'm sure there are folks that don't like that cops have guns at all! If that badge is for concealed carry, then doesn't it kind of defeat the whole purpose of concealed carry?

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran Nelson_Muntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manassas, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    697

    Post imported post

    eyesopened wrote:
    If that badge is for concealed carry, then doesn't it kind of defeat the whole purpose of concealed carry?
    +1 to you also. But don't give them any ideas. They'll be making OC badges next!




  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,436

    Post imported post

    Carrying a gun is a God given right.

    Police have a man given duty.

    They need a badge we do not.


    Tarzan

  7. #7
    Regular Member sccrref's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, , USA
    Posts
    741

    Post imported post

    tarzan1888 wrote:
    Carrying a gun is a God given right.

    Police have a man given duty.

    They need a badge we do not.


    Tarzan
    Well typed.I agree whole heartedly.

  8. #8
    Regular Member sccrref's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, , USA
    Posts
    741

    Post imported post

    Maybe these would go a long way to getting CC legalized in places that sell alcohol for on site consumption. Employees would not have to ask if you armed, they have a visual cue that you are. I also wonder how the company selling the badges verifies that the person buying the badge has a leagal right to CC. I think allBGs who are wearing a gun should be required by law to wear one of these.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    218

    Post imported post

    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    skidmark wrote:
    Concealed Carry Badges are legal.

    Most of us, and most of the "persons on the street" are of the opinion that any person who wears one is in need of serious mental health support.

    That being said, feel free to go out and buy one and wear it around town. Do not accept any offers of free donuts, as that might put you into the category of "impersonating a police officer." Do not wonder at the polite stares and head-shaking you observe as you pass by. It's just folks saying "Well bless his heart*."

    stay safe.

    skidmark

    * Southern expression that generally means "That poor goober is such a retard, you just have to make allowances for the things he does."
    +1


    Those who think they need badges (that goes for amateur radio operators who think that they need their callsign on a badge, you know who you are) are usually trying to get attention, or make themselves feel important, and are justifying their actions by saying it's legal.

    I drive a crown vic, and unfortunately, there are those that will purchase a used crown victoria and 'cop it out' (add spotlights, flashing amber lights, sirens,etc) and say that they're not impersonating because 'it's not illegal'... While TECHNICALLY it may not be illegal to have lights, antennas, spotlights, etc on a retired police car, EVERYONE knows the intent is to imitate a police vehicle for one reason or another, most of which has to do with the sense of percieved power.

    IOTW, I see someone with a badge that says ANYTHING other than 'police' or 'sheriff' on it, and I'm shaking my head saying 'what a F#%(&ing retard' under my breath (apologies to those who are physically/mentally handicapped).


    In WA, for example, it's pretty clear.

    RCW 9A.60.045
    Criminal impersonation in the second degree.

    (1) A person is guilty of criminal impersonation in the second degree if the person:

    (a)(i) Claims to be a law enforcement officer or creates an impression that he or she is a law enforcement officer; and

    (ii) Under circumstances not amounting to criminal impersonation in the first degree, does an act with intent to convey the impression that he or she is acting in an official capacity and a reasonable person would believe the person is a law enforcement officer; or

    (b) Falsely assumes the identity of a veteran or active duty member of the armed forces of the United States with intent to defraud for the purpose of personal gain or to facilitate any unlawful activity.

    (2) Criminal impersonation in the second degree is a gross misdemeanor.
    If you're attempting to get someone to think you're an officer, it's a crime.

    Other states require a badge, insignia, hat, patch etc. OR A FACSIMILE THEREOF, a 'lookalike' badge definitely falls into that category.


    Here's some stuff that's funny, but quite scary and sad at the same time...

    http://www.policeposers.com/album/main.php

    Well that person is in a way operating a vehicle for emergencies as they are working with Skywarn and also RACES, in those situations if you are at a location that can be hazardous and high traffic and you sit in your car trying to get weather readings then I can see the point in having a orange light flashing to warn other vehicles that the vehicle in question might be blocking traffic and is working in some kind of official capacity in this case weather research and spotting.

    But I would like to know what all those antennas are for because that is the only thing to me that looks to be over the top but I do see quite a lot of weather measuring equipment on the roof too but all in all I wouldn't call that person a poser though but that is my personal opinion and before you say anything yes I am a Ham Radio Operator myself and I am working on becoming the Emergency Coordinator for my city on behalf of RAC (Radio Amateurs of Canada) but if I was a member of Skywarn and RACES I would probably have some similar equipment but everybody is different and so is all cases that we handle.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NOVA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    732

    Post imported post

    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    Maybe he's helping out with SETI (http://www.seti.org/)

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    800

    Post imported post

    Does it come with a lifetime membership to M.A.N.T.A.R.D. (Mall Ninja Tactical Recon Deployment)?

    I think wearing or showing these should definitely constitute impersonating an officer, not to mention making the wearer's a$$ a good place for the boots of thousands of non-retarded CCW holders.

  12. #12
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    bumblefoot2004 wrote:
    I stumbled upon a website at http://www.popguns.com/badge/concealedcarry.htm that sells badges that look like police badges but say Concealed Weapon Perrmit. You can get a badge with your State Seal. Wearing one of these badges could help put the public at ease when they see your gun. However, would a cop think you are trying to impersonate a police officer if he/she saw it? Are badges like this legal
    If you're carrying concealed why would you need a badge?The public ought NOT to be seeing your gun. All the cops that I've seen carrying concealed conceal very poorly and have badges on their belts. I tend to think it's a matter of "look at me, I'm a cop" mentality, becausea first class professionalconceals their gun well enough that you'd have to physically frisk them to detect it.

    If you're open carrying, then why have a badge that says "concealed carry permit" on it? Sure, you're not technically impersonating a LEO, but how many people look at a badge carefully? If you're not in a security guard like uniform and just in civvies, then people will assume you're LEO. Now would you want somebody running up to you asking for help thinking you're a cop? Probably not. That's why we hire people to BE cops, so THEY can do the copwork.
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  13. #13
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    And today's M.A.N.T.A.R.D. prize is Leather Goods!

    A boot in the ass anda belt in the mouth.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,882

    Post imported post

    I am ashamed as a ham licensee to see that car. Yike. Get a girlfriend, pal. Maybe you can get one at the next Star Trek convention...

    -ljp

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    tarzan1888 wrote:
    Carrying a gun is a God given right.

    Police have a man given duty.

    They need a badge we do not.


    Tarzan
    What he said.

    And, anyone else suspicious of someone whose first and only post, on the day they join, is a thinly veiled advertisement?

    :?


  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    800

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    And, anyone else suspicious of someone whose first and only post, on the day they join, is a thinly veiled advertisement?

    :?
    Ha! I didn't even notice that! Good catch Imperial!

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    A CC badge does nothing to strengthen the validity of a permit.



    I can tell you EVERY cop that sees this badge will think you are a poser and speak ill of you when you walk away.. if not right in front of you.

    Do not waste your money. Police and firemen wear badges as this is a time honored tradition and the police are actually required to display their badge of authority before giving a lawful order or making an arrest.






  18. #18
    Newbie cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,335

    Post imported post

    skidmark wrote:
    Do not accept any offers of free donuts,...
    Got a free donut last night just as it came out of thecooker (about 1 am- one of the few graveyard bonuses). SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD! I'd say weara ccw badge just for that! HMMMMMMMMMM SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOd I can still taste it!!!!!



    me and leo (I'm the one with the coffee:P)

    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    cato wrote:
    skidmark wrote:
    Do not accept any offers of free donuts,...
    Got a free donut last night just as it came out of thecooker (about 1 am- one of the few graveyard bonuses). SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD! I'd say weara ccw badge just for that! HMMMMMMMMMM SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOd I can still taste it!!!!!



    me and leo (I'm the one with the coffee:P)
    Why I gotta' be the overweight cop??



  20. #20
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694

    Post imported post

    Do not accept any offers of free donuts,...
    I was the first to arrive at our secret pre-meeting meeting location last month; ordered an iced coffee and the counter girl tried to give it to me at no charge (until I told her I was just a private citizen, then she was happy to take my money).

    Now I know why they charge so much, it's to make up for the ones they give away.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,436

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    ....And, anyone else suspicious of someone whose first and only post, on the day they join, is a thinly veiled advertisement?

    :?




    Right on target imperialism2024, as usual.

    (But don't get a big head, I said as usual not always )

    Tarzan

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    I see someone carrying one of those and I'll be thinking "Wannabe" and then I'll have to try not to LMAO while pointing at them and being derisive.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bountiful, Utah, , USA
    Posts
    472

    Post imported post

    Ok, just to play devil's advocate (let the flame war begin... I mean... continue), since badges are most worn only by law enforcement, you say that private citizens (even citizens with permits or certifications) shouldn't carry a badge openly due to the risk of being confused with a police officer and being ridiculed by other gun carriers.

    Well, what about substituting wearing a badge in the open with wearing a gun in the open. Typically only law enforcement wear guns openly, so shouldn't we all just conceal our sidearms so that people don't mistake us for law enforcement? I was mistaken just last night at Walmart for a "cop". Perhaps we should go around ridiculing open carry advocates (ourselves) because they/we are wannabe cops... Seem like a stretch? Do you really know the reason a person carries a badge? Can you be 100% sure it's to be a wannabee? Would you appreciate some concealed carrier ridiculing you for openly carrying without first trying to understand why you do it?

    Having a badge (and wearing it) and openly carrying a gun are both legal in my state, so why is one OK and the other discouraged?

    Go ahead, start spouting off opinions about how the badge represents authority, etc, etc. Doesn't stop people from wearing camo pants or hats that say SWAT or carrying cuffs. A badge is a form of quick identification. If you have a badge that says POLICE or SHERIFF then sure, you are a lamo, but if your badge says CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT should you really be ridiculed for having some quick ID that says what you are - a CFP holder?

    Perhaps we should be a little less judgemental because when it comes down to it, we shouldn't treat people in a manner that we wouldn't want to be treated.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    GeneticsDave wrote:
    Ok, just to play devil's advocate (let the flame war begin... I mean... continue), since badges are most worn only by law enforcement, you say that private citizens (even citizens with permits or certifications) shouldn't carry a badge openly due to the risk of being confused with a police officer and being ridiculed by other gun carriers.

    Well, what about substituting wearing a badge in the open with wearing a gun in the open. Typically only law enforcement wear guns openly, so shouldn't we all just conceal our sidearms so that people don't mistake us for law enforcement? I was mistaken just last night at Walmart for a "cop". Perhaps we should go around ridiculing open carry advocates (ourselves) because they/we are wannabe cops... Seem like a stretch? Do you really know the reason a person carries a badge? Can you be 100% sure it's to be a wannabee? Would you appreciate some concealed carrier ridiculing you for openly carrying without first trying to understand why you do it?

    Having a badge (and wearing it) and openly carrying a gun are both legal in my state, so why is one OK and the other discouraged?

    Go ahead, start spouting off opinions about how the badge represents authority, etc, etc. Doesn't stop people from wearing camo pants or hats that say SWAT or carrying cuffs. A badge is a form of quick identification. If you have a badge that says POLICE or SHERIFF then sure, you are a lamo, but if your badge says CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT should you really be ridiculed for having some quick ID that says what you are - a CFP holder?

    Perhaps we should be a little less judgemental because when it comes down to it, we shouldn't treat people in a manner that we wouldn't want to be treated.
    Good point. Also like the avatar..!!!

    The difference would be this in Virginia.....

    If the officer is not in a uniformhe is required to display his badge or other sign that shows his authority before taking any action. This is why you see a badge on the shirt, hanging from the neck, or clipped to the belt.

    I do not know many jobs that actually issue and require badges to be worn out in public. So it should be uncommon to see any citizen sporting a shield.

    § tacticool clothing but when they start sporting a badge too.... it cold make them appear as if they were a police officer. This could get you a day in court.



    § 18.2-174. Impersonating officer.

    Any person who shall falsely assume or exercise the functions, powers, duties and privileges incident to the office of sheriff, police officer, marshal, or other peace officer,

    or who shall falsely assume or pretend to be any such officer,

    shall be deemed guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.



  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SeaTac, Washington, USA
    Posts
    434

    Post imported post

    GeneticsDave wrote:
    Ok, just to play devil's advocate (let the flame war begin... I mean... continue), since badges are most worn only by law enforcement, you say that private citizens (even citizens with permits or certifications) shouldn't carry a badge openly due to the risk of being confused with a police officer and being ridiculed by other gun carriers.

    Well, what about substituting wearing a badge in the open with wearing a gun in the open. Typically only law enforcement wear guns openly, so shouldn't we all just conceal our sidearms so that people don't mistake us for law enforcement? I was mistaken just last night at Walmart for a "cop". Perhaps we should go around ridiculing open carry advocates (ourselves) because they/we are wannabe cops... Seem like a stretch? Do you really know the reason a person carries a badge? Can you be 100% sure it's to be a wannabee? Would you appreciate some concealed carrier ridiculing you for openly carrying without first trying to understand why you do it?

    Having a badge (and wearing it) and openly carrying a gun are both legal in my state, so why is one OK and the other discouraged?

    Go ahead, start spouting off opinions about how the badge represents authority, etc, etc. Doesn't stop people from wearing camo pants or hats that say SWAT or carrying cuffs. A badge is a form of quick identification. If you have a badge that says POLICE or SHERIFF then sure, you are a lamo, but if your badge says CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT should you really be ridiculed for having some quick ID that says what you are - a CFP holder?

    Perhaps we should be a little less judgemental because when it comes down to it, we shouldn't treat people in a manner that we wouldn't want to be treated.
    Dave while I personally have no interest in wearing such a badge your point is well made. I agree if someone wants to wear such an item it's a free country and I support his right to do so. Also this has come up for discussion before with somemembers being in favor of wearing them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •