• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legality - Concealed Weapon Permit badge

tarzan1888

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
....And, anyone else suspicious of someone whose first and only post, on the day they join, is a thinly veiled advertisement?

:?

Right on target imperialism2024, as usual.

(But don't get a big head, I said as usual not always ;) )

Tarzan

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I see someone carrying one of those and I'll be thinking "Wannabe" and then I'll have to try not to LMAO while pointing at them and being derisive.

GeneticsDave

imported post

Ok, just to play devil's advocate (let the flame war begin... I mean... continue), since badges are most worn only by law enforcement, you say that private citizens (even citizens with permits or certifications) shouldn't carry a badge openly due to the risk of being confused with a police officer and being ridiculed by other gun carriers.

Well, what about substituting wearing a badge in the open with wearing a gun in the open. Typically only law enforcement wear guns openly, so shouldn't we all just conceal our sidearms so that people don't mistake us for law enforcement? I was mistaken just last night at Walmart for a "cop". Perhaps we should go around ridiculing open carry advocates (ourselves) because they/we are wannabe cops... Seem like a stretch? Do you really know the reason a person carries a badge? Can you be 100% sure it's to be a wannabee? Would you appreciate some concealed carrier ridiculing you for openly carrying without first trying to understand why you do it?

Having a badge (and wearing it) and openly carrying a gun are both legal in my state, so why is one OK and the other discouraged?

Go ahead, start spouting off opinions about how the badge represents authority, etc, etc. Doesn't stop people from wearing camo pants or hats that say SWAT or carrying cuffs. A badge is a form of quick identification. If you have a badge that says POLICE or SHERIFF then sure, you are a lamo, but if your badge says CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT should you really be ridiculed for having some quick ID that says what you are - a CFP holder?

Perhaps we should be a little less judgemental because when it comes down to it, we shouldn't treat people in a manner that we wouldn't want to be treated.

LEO 229

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
Ok, just to play devil's advocate (let the flame war begin... I mean... continue), since badges are most worn only by law enforcement, you say that private citizens (even citizens with permits or certifications) shouldn't carry a badge openly due to the risk of being confused with a police officer and being ridiculed by other gun carriers.

Well, what about substituting wearing a badge in the open with wearing a gun in the open. Typically only law enforcement wear guns openly, so shouldn't we all just conceal our sidearms so that people don't mistake us for law enforcement? I was mistaken just last night at Walmart for a "cop". Perhaps we should go around ridiculing open carry advocates (ourselves) because they/we are wannabe cops... Seem like a stretch? Do you really know the reason a person carries a badge? Can you be 100% sure it's to be a wannabee? Would you appreciate some concealed carrier ridiculing you for openly carrying without first trying to understand why you do it?

Having a badge (and wearing it) and openly carrying a gun are both legal in my state, so why is one OK and the other discouraged?

Go ahead, start spouting off opinions about how the badge represents authority, etc, etc. Doesn't stop people from wearing camo pants or hats that say SWAT or carrying cuffs. A badge is a form of quick identification. If you have a badge that says POLICE or SHERIFF then sure, you are a lamo, but if your badge says CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT should you really be ridiculed for having some quick ID that says what you are - a CFP holder?

Perhaps we should be a little less judgemental because when it comes down to it, we shouldn't treat people in a manner that we wouldn't want to be treated.
Good point. Also like the avatar..!!! ;)

The difference would be this in Virginia.....

If the officer is not in a uniformhe is required to display his badge or other sign that shows his authority before taking any action. This is why you see a badge on the shirt, hanging from the neck, or clipped to the belt.

I do not know many jobs that actually issue and require badges to be worn out in public. So it should be uncommon to see any citizen sporting a shield.

§ tacticool clothing but when they start sporting a badge too.... it cold make them appear as if they were a police officer. This could get you a day in court.

§ 18.2-174. Impersonating officer.

Any person who shall falsely assume or exercise the functions, powers, duties and privileges incident to the office of sheriff, police officer, marshal, or other peace officer,

or who shall falsely assume or pretend to be any such officer,

shall be deemed guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:

Dave while I personally have no interest in wearing such a badge your point is well made. I agree if someone wants to wear such an item it's a free country and I support his right to do so. Also this has come up for discussion before with somemembers being in favor of wearing them.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Legba wrote:
I am ashamed as a ham licensee to see that car. Yike. Get a girlfriend, pal. Maybe you can get one at the next Star Trek convention...

-ljp
If you look over that vehicle carefully, I think you would realize that this person is a "storm chaser" and not some sort of wannabe.....just my .02

VtCO

State Researcher
imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:

Don't you just hate the voice of reason? :uhoh:

I've got no other response except: I think it's a bad idea, but if you wanna :celebrate(Keep in mind that I know you, GeneticsDave, are just arguing the point and in the above statement I mean you as in the general "you", not you in particular)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:

Excellent points and I am more than willing to listen and adjust or change my opinion on the matter. I would very much like to hear some reasons why someone would carry one of these badges and I sincerely promise to put any prejudices aside as much as possible and attempot to understand why someone does it. Actually I am most interested in knowing why someone does so.

expvideo

imported post

This question gets asked about once every month or two, and always has the same responses. One person thinks it's a pretty good idea, two people can think of creative reasons to justify them, and everyone else realizes that these are just novelty junk that posers wear to be "accidentally" mistaken to have authority. If you want to be a cop, pick up an application.

These are marketted towards us because the manufacturers know that we gun owners love to rationalize why we "need" things, like another .45 for nighttime, or an ankle gun instead of an extramag. We love to find reasons to need new toys, so they know that we will try to rationalize this as something we "need".

It's a toy. There is no reason to get one. None.

Flintlock

imported post

We don't need no stinkin badges!!!

aachee_1.jpg

LEO 229

imported post

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/HaxURLFn6jU&hl=en[/flash]

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

LOL to the "no steenkin' badges" :D

Put me in the "I think only posers and wannabes" buy/wear them. Or people who are very insecure and/or gullible. I'm in sales, I know a gimmick when I see one. This is the same sort of thing that appeals to the part of the brain that buys cheesy stuff out of Parade Magazine, only for gun nuts.

I don't need a badge to identify myself as someone lawfully carrying a gun. My actions speak for themselves. LEO's tend to know their own, and know local badges. I am pretty darned sure no cop in Oly would give that stupid thing a second glance before realizing it was a fake shield, and that the person wearing it may have issues.

One marketing tactic I have seen one these is to suggest in a tight situation when a cop shows up and you have a BG cornered is that they will think you are a security guard or LEO or whatnot, long enough not to shoot you.

I always figured if I had to draw on someone and managed not to have to shoot them, but able to hold them for LEO, the cops would be coming in guns drawn in all directions telling EVERYONE to stand down. I pretty much expect to have to drop or holster my weapon and put my hands over my head while things are sorted out. A cheesy badge won't help things one bit, and won't help my credibilty either.

PT111

imported post

Whoever came up with that Geek Squad idea should have every one of those badges rammed up his bottom and then run over by every one of the geek squad patrol cars. :DIf you want a CCW badge then by all means get you one but don't expect me to wear one. :uhoh:

LEO 229

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I do not know many jobs that actually issue and require badges to be worn out in public.
Geek Squad?
It is their badge of auth.... *cough* advertising!

I sure did for get about them. Thanks!!

Sheriff

imported post

On April 25, 2005, a General District Court judge in Alexandria, Virginia ruled numerous times that a person can carry any badge they want upon their person, as long as the badgeis not used in an unlawful manner. The judge had to make this ruling many times over and over because it took so long for it to sink into the Commonwealth Attorney's head.

Sheriff

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
skidmark wrote:
IOTW, I see someone with a badge that says ANYTHING other than 'police' or 'sheriff' on it, and I'm shaking my head saying 'what a F#%(&ing retard' under my breath (apologies to those who are physically/mentally handicapped).

You got that right! I saw a local Magistrate here one night wearing an official badge on his belt one night. Obviously,myknowing him well, I called him over to see exactly what kind of BS he had attached and dangling from his belt. It looked exactly like the local county police badges. After I pulled off it was all I could do to drive safely and at the same time wipe the tears from my eyes from laughing so hard. :shock:

expvideo

imported post

I saw a couple of overweight 20-something year old rednecks walking into the store looking like they thought they were incredibly badass, wearing badges on chains around their necks. I would have laughed if not for being so angry at seeing such a thing.