• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legality - Concealed Weapon Permit badge

bumblefoot2004

imported post

I stumbled upon a website at http://www.popguns.com/badge/concealedcarry.htm that sells badges that look like police badges but say Concealed Weapon Perrmit. You can get a badge with your State Seal. Wearing one of these badges could help put the public at ease when they see your gun. However, would a cop think you are trying to impersonate a police officer if he/she saw it? Are badges like this legal:question:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Concealed Carry Badges are legal.

Most of us, and most of the "persons on the street" are of the opinion that any person who wears one is in need of serious mental health support.

That being said, feel free to go out and buy one and wear it around town. Do not accept any offers of free donuts, as that might put you into the category of "impersonating a police officer." Do not wonder at the polite stares and head-shaking you observe as you pass by. It's just folks saying "Well bless his heart*."

stay safe.

skidmark

* Southern expression that generally means "That poor goober is such a retard, you just have to make allowances for the things he does."

TechnoWeenie

imported post

skidmark wrote:

Most of us, and most of the "persons on the street" are of the opinion that any person who wears one is in need of serious mental health support.

That being said, feel free to go out and buy one and wear it around town.  Do not accept any offers of free donuts, as that might put you into the category of "impersonating a police officer."  Do not wonder at the polite stares and head-shaking you observe as you pass by.  It's just folks saying "Well bless his heart*."

stay safe.

skidmark

* Southern expression that generally means "That poor goober is such a retard, you just have to make allowances for the things he does."

+1

Those who think they need badges (that goes for amateur radio operators who think that they need their callsign on a badge, you know who you are) are usually trying to get attention, or make themselves feel important, and are justifying their actions by saying it's legal.

I drive a crown vic, and unfortunately, there are those that will purchase a used crown victoria and 'cop it out' (add spotlights, flashing amber lights, sirens,etc) and say that they're not impersonating because 'it's not illegal'... While TECHNICALLY it may not be illegal to have lights, antennas, spotlights, etc on a retired police car, EVERYONE knows the intent is to imitate a police vehicle for one reason or another, most of which has to do with the sense of percieved power.

IOTW, I see someone with a badge that says ANYTHING other than 'police' or 'sheriff' on it, and I'm shaking my head saying 'what a F#%(&ing retard' under my breath (apologies to those who are physically/mentally handicapped).

In WA, for example, it's pretty clear.

RCW 9A.60.045
Criminal impersonation in the second degree.

(1) A person is guilty of criminal impersonation in the second degree if the person:

(a)(i) Claims to be a law enforcement officer or creates an impression that he or she is a law enforcement officer; and

(ii) Under circumstances not amounting to criminal impersonation in the first degree, does an act with intent to convey the impression that he or she is acting in an official capacity and a reasonable person would believe the person is a law enforcement officer; or

(b) Falsely assumes the identity of a veteran or active duty member of the armed forces of the United States with intent to defraud for the purpose of personal gain or to facilitate any unlawful activity.

(2) Criminal impersonation in the second degree is a gross misdemeanor.

If you're attempting to get someone to think you're an officer, it's a crime.

Other states require a badge, insignia, hat, patch etc. OR A FACSIMILE THEREOF, a 'lookalike' badge definitely falls into that category.

Here's some stuff that's funny, but quite scary and sad at the same time...

http://www.policeposers.com/album/main.php

dsc01287.jpg

eyesopened

imported post

+1 to the other two fellas who posted. You shouldn't need a "badge" to make the public feel at ease that you're carrying a firearm. I'm sure there are folks that don't like that cops have guns at all! If that badge is for concealed carry, then doesn't it kind of defeat the whole purpose of concealed carry?

tarzan1888

imported post

Carrying a gun is a God given right.

Police have a man given duty.

They need a badge we do not.

Tarzan

sccrref

imported post

Maybe these would go a long way to getting CC legalized in places that sell alcohol for on site consumption. Employees would not have to ask if you armed, they have a visual cue that you are. I also wonder how the company selling the badges verifies that the person buying the badge has a leagal right to CC. I think allBGs who are wearing a gun should be required by law to wear one of these.

Sleepless

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
skidmark wrote:

That being said, feel free to go out and buy one and wear it around town. Do not accept any offers of free donuts, as that might put you into the category of "impersonating a police officer." Do not wonder at the polite stares and head-shaking you observe as you pass by. It's just folks saying "Well bless his heart*."

stay safe.

skidmark

+1

Those who think they need badges (that goes for amateur radio operators who think that they need their callsign on a badge, you know who you are) are usually trying to get attention, or make themselves feel important, and are justifying their actions by saying it's legal.

I drive a crown vic, and unfortunately, there are those that will purchase a used crown victoria and 'cop it out' (add spotlights, flashing amber lights, sirens,etc) and say that they're not impersonating because 'it's not illegal'... While TECHNICALLY it may not be illegal to have lights, antennas, spotlights, etc on a retired police car, EVERYONE knows the intent is to imitate a police vehicle for one reason or another, most of which has to do with the sense of percieved power.

IOTW, I see someone with a badge that says ANYTHING other than 'police' or 'sheriff' on it, and I'm shaking my head saying 'what a F#%(&ing retard' under my breath (apologies to those who are physically/mentally handicapped).

In WA, for example, it's pretty clear.

RCW 9A.60.045
Criminal impersonation in the second degree.

(1) A person is guilty of criminal impersonation in the second degree if the person:

(a)(i) Claims to be a law enforcement officer or creates an impression that he or she is a law enforcement officer; and

(ii) Under circumstances not amounting to criminal impersonation in the first degree, does an act with intent to convey the impression that he or she is acting in an official capacity and a reasonable person would believe the person is a law enforcement officer; or

(b) Falsely assumes the identity of a veteran or active duty member of the armed forces of the United States with intent to defraud for the purpose of personal gain or to facilitate any unlawful activity.

(2) Criminal impersonation in the second degree is a gross misdemeanor.

If you're attempting to get someone to think you're an officer, it's a crime.

Other states require a badge, insignia, hat, patch etc. OR A FACSIMILE THEREOF, a 'lookalike' badge definitely falls into that category.

Here's some stuff that's funny, but quite scary and sad at the same time...

http://www.policeposers.com/album/main.php

dsc01287.jpg
Well that person is in a way operating a vehicle for emergencies as they are working with Skywarn and also RACES, in those situations if you are at a location that can be hazardous and high traffic and you sit in your car trying to get weather readings then I can see the point in having a orange light flashing to warn other vehicles that the vehicle in question might be blocking traffic and is working in some kind of official capacity in this case weather research and spotting.

But I would like to know what all those antennas are for because that is the only thing to me that looks to be over the top but I do see quite a lot of weather measuring equipment on the roof too but all in all I wouldn't call that person a poser though but that is my personal opinion and before you say anything yes I am a Ham Radio Operator myself and I am working on becoming the Emergency Coordinator for my city on behalf of RAC (Radio Amateurs of Canada) but if I was a member of Skywarn and RACES I would probably have some similar equipment but everybody is different and so is all cases that we handle.

ScottyT

imported post

Does it come with a lifetime membership to M.A.N.T.A.R.D. (Mall Ninja Tactical Recon Deployment)?

I think wearing or showing these should definitely constitute impersonating an officer, not to mention making the wearer's a$$ a good place for the boots of thousands of non-retarded CCW holders.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

bumblefoot2004 wrote:
I stumbled upon a website at http://www.popguns.com/badge/concealedcarry.htm that sells badges that look like police badges but say Concealed Weapon Perrmit. You can get a badge with your State Seal. Wearing one of these badges could help put the public at ease when they see your gun. However, would a cop think you are trying to impersonate a police officer if he/she saw it? Are badges like this legal:question:

If you're carrying concealed why would you need a badge?The public ought NOT to be seeing your gun. All the cops that I've seen carrying concealed conceal very poorly and have badges on their belts. I tend to think it's a matter of "look at me, I'm a cop" mentality, becausea first class professionalconceals their gun well enough that you'd have to physically frisk them to detect it.

If you're open carrying, then why have a badge that says "concealed carry permit" on it? Sure, you're not technically impersonating a LEO, but how many people look at a badge carefully? If you're not in a security guard like uniform and just in civvies, then people will assume you're LEO. Now would you want somebody running up to you asking for help thinking you're a cop? Probably not. That's why we hire people to BE cops, so THEY can do the copwork.

Legba

imported post

I am ashamed as a ham licensee to see that car. Yike. Get a girlfriend, pal. Maybe you can get one at the next Star Trek convention...

-ljp

LEO 229

imported post

A CC badge does nothing to strengthen the validity of a permit.

ccw%20badge%206374.jpg

I can tell you EVERY cop that sees this badge will think you are a poser and speak ill of you when you walk away.. if not right in front of you. :lol:

Do not waste your money. Police and firemen wear badges as this is a time honored tradition and the police are actually required to display their badge of authority before giving a lawful order or making an arrest.

:uhoh:

BadgePagePHOTO1.gif

cato

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Do not accept any offers of free donuts,...

Got a free donut last night just as it came out of thecooker (about 1 am- one of the few graveyard bonuses). SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD! I'd say weara ccw badge just for that! HMMMMMMMMMM SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOd I can still taste it!!!!!

me and leo (I'm the one with the coffee:p)

Attachments

• 0041-0704-0906-4249_TN.jpg
    0041-0704-0906-4249_TN.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 4,189

LEO 229

imported post

cato wrote:
skidmark wrote:

Got a free donut last night just as it came out of thecooker (about 1 am- one of the few graveyard bonuses). SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD! I'd say weara ccw badge just for that! HMMMMMMMMMM SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOd I can still taste it!!!!!

me and leo (I'm the one with the coffee:p)

Why I gotta' be the overweight cop?? :D

zoom6zoom

imported post

I was the first to arrive at our secret pre-meeting meeting location last month; ordered an iced coffee and the counter girl tried to give it to me at no charge (until I told her I was just a private citizen, then she was happy to take my money).

Now I know why they charge so much, it's to make up for the ones they give away.