• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legality of using a voice recorder in Ohio

Ohio Patriot

imported post

I have a small digital recorder that can fit in a pocket. I've thought about carrying it with me when I OC in case I run into a rogue LEO.

Here's my question: must I inform the LEO that I am recording our conversation?

In some states, both parties must give consent before the conversation may be recorded. In other states, consent is required from only one party. Just curious what the law is in Ohio.

Legba

imported post

As I understand recordings of conversations - on the phone or otherwise - only one party has to be aware of it here, so you should be ok. Will try to look up the relevant law shortly.

Sorry - unable to find relevant section of ORC.

-ljp

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Google for journalist associations. They keep track of this stuff.

Also, sometimes the key word is not, "record", but "intercept."

Splat!!

imported post

You can record any conversation that involves you.........You cannot record any conversation to which you are not a party to, unless one of the party is notified...

I would recommend a tape recorder instead of digital, They can argue that a digital recording with today's softwarecan be easily altered by anyone.........:uhoh:This alsoappliesto digital video........

:banghead:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Splat!! wrote:
You can record any conversation that involves you.........You cannot record any conversation to which you are not a party to, unless one of the party is notified...

I would recommend a tape recorder instead of digital, They can argue that a digital recording with today's softwarecan be easily altered by anyone.........:uhoh:This alsoappliesto digital video........

:banghead:

Splat!!,

We need please a cite to the relevant statute.

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/ohio.html

Ohio Rev. Code Ann. § 2933.52: Intercepting, recording or disclosing the contents of a wire, oral or electronic communication if a person is a participant, or has obtained the consent of at least one participant, is legal unless it is accompanied by a criminal or tortious intent.

Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication. See definition of "oral communication," Ohio Rev. Code Ann. § 2933.51. The Ohio Supreme Court has held that prisoners do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their communications, for purposes of the wiretapping law. State v. Robb, 723 N.E.2d 1019 (Ohio 2000).
Illegal interceptions are felonies and also carry potential civil liability for the greater of actual damages, $200 per day of violation or $10,000, along with punitive damages, attorney fees and litigation expenses. Ohio Rev. Code Ann. § 2933.65.
The recording of cordless telephone conversations picked up, initially inadvertently, through a baby monitor without the consent of any party to the conversations was found to be an illegal interception of both an oral and wire communication by the state's highest court in 1994. Ohio v. Bidinost, 644 N.E.2d 318 (Ohio 1994).
Ohio has an anti-voyeurism law that prohibits surreptitiously invading a person's privacy for sexual purposes. Ohio Rev. Code Ann. § 2907.08.

Deanimator

imported post

Ohio is a one party consent state. As long as you're a party to a conversation, you can record it and you don't have to notify any other parties. You CANNOT record communications in which you do not take part without consent of the parties.

Recording conversations in various contexts was SPECIFICALLY recommended to me by my lawyer here in Ohio.