• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Here, I guess I should Have Made This Intro Earlier

curtm1911

imported post

Hi All, Curtm1911 here. I guess I should have introduced myself first before making postings, so I will do it now. Moved here from Indiana in 1967, Major winter storm that winter and mom said "No More Of This" so we headed out here to the Valley of the Sun. I have been shooting since I was 7, I am 52 now. I see some of my pictures have been looked at and complimented on too, thanks to all. I am a member at the Scottsdale Gun Club, and am always looking for shooting buddies. My girlfriend of two years now was an anti when we met, and now she owns a Ruger MKIII 22/45 and a Beretta 21Bobcat in .22LR. She can shoot my PT1911 real well too. If anyone would like to go to the club on one of my guest passes sometime, drop me a PM and let's convert some money into noise and fun. Hope to hear from all of you eventually, and in the meantime, as Jim Scoutten says, "Shoot Safely, Shoot Often, and Share Your Sport" Bye for now.

Attachments

• CURT.jpg
    CURT.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 228

Michigander

imported post

I just moved to the valley myself. I'm going shooting in the mountains this weekend with 3 or 4 friends. That gun club sounds fun, I have heard a lot of people here tell me how great it is, but I'm a lot more fond of ranges without rules or fees.:cool:

curtm1911

imported post

Welcome Michigander, where about's in Michigan are you from? My older brother lives in the bustling metropolis of White Pigeon and I remember alot about Southern Michigan. As for shooting in the desert and mountains around the valley, go out the Beeline Hiway past Saguaro Lake turn-off a few miles and look for Four Peaks Road. Lots of shooters out there and ATVers and Motorcyclists, but plenty of places to find to shoot too. If you are ever interested in a trip to the gun club, drop me a PM and I would be glad to take you on a guest pass, if you want. Only cost is ammo and targets, and you can tell me how fouled -up things back east are, I haven't been back there since 1974 and do not miss it at all. I hope to hear from you in the near future. One more nice thing about the club in summer, you can set your gun down and it won't get hotter, trust me on that one.

Michigander

imported post

I'm from not far from Detroit, and I don't miss that area either. The northern lower peninsula, and indeed the upper peninsula are among the best the midewest has to offer, and I miss that a lot. But the Detroit area? All I miss is union wages and benefits.

I'm about to be extremely busy with work, so I don't know what my availability will be, but I'd love to meet up with you at the Scottsdale club when it would be convenient. Thank you for the tip about where to shoot this weekend, I'll be taking your advice. :cool:

curtm1911

imported post

Michigander,

When you go out Four Peaks Road, about a mile or so in, you come to a fork. Take the right fork and you should get away from the ATVer's and such and if you follow it out a few miles it comes to a sweeping left downhill turn. At the bottom of the hill is an old ranch ruins and a wash. The wash has a nice backstop hillside on the far side and it is where I generally go. If anyone is camping there, just tell themwhere you are shooting and all should be fine. Sometimes paintballers like to play there, so be safe and enjoy. I have never had a problems there and a few have even asked if they could shoot a few rounds.

Curt

Gunslinger

imported post

Welcome! Had to laugh at getting away from bad weather. I'm a long time New Englander and thought CO would be much better in the winter. This year it was. Last year we had a blizzard every other week almost the whole winter! And I thought NE weather was changeable! Enjoy the sand!

curtm1911

imported post

Gunslinger,

I think we all move here for the weather, or should I say, from the weather. Not a lot of sand around here, but now cactus are a different thing, plenty of those, and Palo Verde and Mesquite trees too. I had relatives in the Basalt area up in your neck of the woods at one time, pretty country too. Thanks for the welcome, I like it here already, good folks and good info too.