• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I seem to be getting a reputation for my lawFUL behavior.

Decoligny

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
ScottyT wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
If like the OP, you have a permit, then they can't detain you for suspicion of carrying loaded without a permit.

Yeah, but you still have to show it to them, which means them stopping you and you having to present your permit. I would prefer it if these situations could be handled in a matter of seconds.

I want to be polite and civil at all times, but they should know by know, especially in the case of the OP. I think we really need to convey that these stops constitute harassment and they must stop.

I just get the feeling that some LEOs are waiting to find someone OCing that can't recite the law as well as most of us can so they can intimidate him into stopping.
IANAL but I think the rule says that if you are carrying concealed, you have to show the permit... Thoughts?

I know that one in the chamber is a benefit of the permit, but one in the chamber isn't concealed, and the rule only mentions notification requirements while carrying concealed... Correct me if I'm way off base, or if this has been covered before.
ScottyT wrote:
Double tap...

I was just thinking about the little LEO "loophole" where they can detain (question and disarm) you for suspicion of carrying loaded without a permit...

What would you guys do if a cop used this approach?

It kind of makes me want to carry "UT unloaded" in places where I am more likely to encounter cops (like malls, but I never go to the mall...), so that I can refuse to provide anything but verbal identification.
Back to the original concern, the cop could momentarily detain you by asking "Do you have a CHP?" If you answer yes, and show him the CHP, then the legal detainment would be over quickly without disarming, as showing the CHP would eliminate the reasonable articulable suspicion that you were commiting the crime of carrying a fully loaded (one in the pipe) firearm without a CHP. If the same cop, on the next day stopped you for the same RAS, then I would consider it harrassment.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
ScottyT wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
If like the OP, you have a permit, then they can't detain you for suspicion of carrying loaded without a permit.

Yeah, but you still have to show it to them, which means them stopping you and you having to present your permit. I would prefer it if these situations could be handled in a matter of seconds.

I want to be polite and civil at all times, but they should know by know, especially in the case of the OP. I think we really need to convey that these stops constitute harassment and they must stop.

I just get the feeling that some LEOs are waiting to find someone OCing that can't recite the law as well as most of us can so they can intimidate him into stopping.
IANAL but I think the rule says that if you are carrying concealed, you have to show the permit... Thoughts?

I know that one in the chamber is a benefit of the permit, but one in the chamber isn't concealed, and the rule only mentions notification requirements while carrying concealed... Correct me if I'm way off base, or if this has been covered before.
ScottyT wrote:
Double tap...

I was just thinking about the little LEO "loophole" where they can detain (question and disarm) you for suspicion of carrying loaded without a permit...

What would you guys do if a cop used this approach?

It kind of makes me want to carry "UT unloaded" in places where I am more likely to encounter cops (like malls, but I never go to the mall...), so that I can refuse to provide anything but verbal identification.
Back to the original concern, the cop could momentarily detain you by asking "Do you have a CHP?" If you answer yes, and show him the CHP, then the legal detainment would be over quickly without disarming, as showing the CHP would eliminate the reasonable articulable suspicion that you were commiting the crime of carrying a fully loaded (one in the pipe) firearm without a CHP. If the same cop, on the next day stopped you for the same RAS, then I would consider it harrassment.

Agree 100%

TJ

Strict Constructionist

imported post

Decoligny,

What do you consider to be momentarily? It took them about 25 minutes to verify my permit. At first they claimed it wasn't in the system. Complete BS, since it had been verified by another officer during a previous encounter (took about 2 minutes.)

ScottyT

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
I guess you could not answer that first question? We don't have to answer him. Maybe just assure him you know the law very well and are carrying in compliance with it? I really like the "pulling you over for suspicion of driving without a license" analogy, I think it fits really well.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

jaredbelch wrote:

I know that one in the chamber is a benefit of the permit, but one in the chamber isn't concealed, and the rule only mentions notification requirements while carrying concealed... Correct me if I'm way off base, or if this has been covered before

R722-300-12. Requirement to Notify Peace Officer When Stopped.

When a concealed firearm permit holder or certificate of qualification holder is stopped for questioning by a peace officer based on reasonable suspicion in accordance with Section 77-7-15 and the holder has a concealed firearm in his/her possession, the holder shall immediately advise the peace officer that he/she is a lawful holder and has a concealed firearm in his/her possession.

ScottyT

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:

I know that one in the chamber is a benefit of the permit, but one in the chamber isn't concealed, and the rule only mentions notification requirements while carrying concealed... Correct me if I'm way off base, or if this has been covered before

R722-300-12. Requirement to Notify Peace Officer When Stopped.

When a concealed firearm permit holder or certificate of qualification holder is stopped for questioning by a peace officer based on reasonable suspicion in accordance with Section 77-7-15 and the holder has a concealed firearm in his/her possession, the holder shall immediately advise the peace officer that he/she is a lawful holder and has a concealed firearm in his/her possession.
Not to mention:
"Stopped for questioning by a peace officer based on reasonable suspicion..."

I take that to mean that unless i am being detained, I don't have to say anything -- CC or OC.

Any differing opinions?

Strict Constructionist

imported post

Scotty,

I interpret the statute to mean that as soon as the interaction is custodial, disclosure is required. For a definition of custodial, Brendlin V California, decided a year or two ago by SCOTUS is helpful.

ScottyT

imported post

Strict Constructionist wrote:
Scotty,

I interpret the statute to mean that as soon as the interaction is custodial, disclosure is required. For a definition of custodial, Brendlin V California, decided a year or two ago by SCOTUS is helpful.
Linky?

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ScottyT wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
I guess you could not answer that first question? We don't have to answer him. Maybe just assure him you know the law very well and are carrying in compliance with it? I really like the "pulling you over for suspicion of driving without a license" analogy, I think it fits really well.
The same could be said for a cop momentarily pulling over everyone he sees driving, and asking if they have a license, once they run it, they let you go.
I feel that either situation would be harassment.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member