• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transporting Firearms while moving back to PA

Joker3092

imported post

Ok so i am moving back up to Pa from Va next weekend. I Own a Glock 22 .40 cal pistol and a 12 gauge shotgun. i know in PA you have to have a LTCF (which i do not have) to transport handguns in your Vehicle. Do you guys have any suggestions on legal ways which i could go about moving my guns up to PA???

imperialism2024

imported post

Well, there's an exception for moving from one place of abode to another:

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
(8) Any person while carrying a firearm unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police) or to a location to which the person has been directed to surrender firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the surrendered firearm.
[line]

There's also the fact that traveling from Virginia to Pennsylvania is interstate travel, and is thus covered by the GOPA.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Joker3092 wrote:
SNIP Ok so i am moving back up to Pa from Va next weekend.

Hey! UnReconstructed! Looks like another one is going home! :)

Does a carpet bag count as "securely wrapped" for the purposes of the federal Safe Passage law? :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Joker3092 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Joker3092 wrote:
SNIP Ok so i am moving back up to Pa from Va next weekend.

Hey! UnReconstructed! Looks like another one is going home! :)

Does a carpet bag count as "securely wrapped" for the purposes of the federal Safe Passage law? :)
what is that supposed to mean???

Playful teasing. Yankee going home, getting out of the South.

I hopethe movegoes smoothly, and wish you the best.

I'malso hoping...geeez...I just noticedyour number of posts.

WELCOME TO OCDO!

I'm also hoping you'll continue at OCDO after the move.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Statkowski wrote:
He is moving from one Commonwealth to another. Us Commonwealths have to stick together, there's only four of us.
We are stuck together! That's the whole Southern objection!! :)