Thread: Info - Posting links (urls) in threads

Post imported post

When people post really long links making it necessary to scroll side to side even on a widescreen monitor to read every other post on the page it drives me nuts. So, I thought I might throw out for those who don't know how to do it, how to post those links with text to click on instead of a really long url besides using tinyurl.com to shorten them.

The method I use is really pretty and works on pretty much any forum (and I know there are a lot of other people on here much more knowledgable than me about this stuff who will offer other info about this):

Type:
    CUT AND PASTE YOUR LINK HERE]Type the text you want to be clicked on to get to your link here

Then it looks like this for example:
    OCDO homepage

When you hit the "preview" button at the bottom right of the posting window, the text you typed will turn blue, the coding will disappear, and you can test your link in the preview window.

There may be other ways to do it on WowBB and I hope other will chime in with info.
    [/color]
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Thanks. But...

I prefer to see the URL to which I am being referred. If it's youtube or some image collection them I probably won't click to see many pictures (each worth a thousand words) per second that may be nonsense.

Yep, widescreen URL may be a PITA but so's a stuipid video. Good videos are but not all are good.

Post imported post

That is an excellent point, Doug, and a very real concern. I forgot to mention about that aspect of using such links.

If someone posts a link as I showed above such as Open Carry Homepage and you want to know the link it refers to before clicking on it:

Put your mouse pointer over the blue highlighted text such that the text underlines

RIGHT click on the link and a drop down menu will pop-up

At the bottom of the drop down menu, at least in Firefox and IE, will be "Properties"

Click on "Properties" and the drop down window will close and a small pop-up window will open showing you the URL to which the link refers. It isn't a blind link as long as one uses the "Properties" function to determine the referred link.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    Put your mouse pointer over the blue highlighted text such that the text underlines

RIGHT click on the link and a drop down menu will pop-up

At the bottom of the drop down menu, at least in Firefox and IE, will be "Properties"

Click on "Properties" and the drop down window will close and a small pop-up window will open showing you the URL to which the link refers. It isn't a blind link as long as one uses the "Properties" function to determine the referred link.
    Mouse over the hyperlink and read the url in the status bar on the bottom left of the browser window.

Post imported post

Nice.

How 'bout a tutorial 'bout how not to quote a very long initial post with pics and the like, or a quote in a quote in a quote, with the same text and pics over and over and over again?

Have people no understanding of internet etiquette?

Post imported post

deanf wrote:
    Nice.

How 'bout a tutorial 'bout how not to quote a very long initial post with pics and the like, or a quote in a quote in a quote, with the same text and pics over and over and over again?

Have people no understanding of internet etiquette?
    I've been simply deleting the extra quotes. Doesn't always coming out looking quite right, but it works.

Now, how do you embed youtube vids in a post?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    Now, how do you embed youtube vids in a post?
    Replace "VIDEO_ID" in the code below with the last part of the url for the youtube video.
    Code:
    [flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/VIDEO_ID[/flash]
    The example below is this is this youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk7LPklNFRw
    Take the last part of the url and put it int he code:
    Code:
    [flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/Gk7LPklNFRw&hl[/flash]
    And viola
    [flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/Gk7LPklNFRw&hl[/flash]