• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Info - Posting links (urls) in threads

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When people post really long links making it necessary to scroll side to side even on a widescreen monitor to read every other post on the page it drives me nuts. So, I thought I might throw out for those who don't know how to do it, how to post those links with text to click on instead of a really long url besides using tinyurl.com to shorten them.

The method I use is really pretty and works on pretty much any forum (and I know there are a lot of other people on here much more knowledgable than me about this stuff who will offer other info about this):

Type:
CUT AND PASTE YOUR LINK HERE]Type the text you want to be clicked on to get to your link here

Then it looks like this for example:
OCDO homepage

When you hit the "preview" button at the bottom right of the posting window, the text you typed will turn blue, the coding will disappear, and you can test your link in the preview window.

There may be other ways to do it on WowBB and I hope other will chime in with info.
[/color]

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Thanks. But...

I prefer to see the URL to which I am being referred. If it's youtube or some image collection them I probably won't click to see many pictures (each worth a thousand words) per second that may be nonsense.

Yep, widescreen URL may be a PITA but so's a stuipid video. Good videos are but not all are good.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That is an excellent point, Doug, and a very real concern. I forgot to mention about that aspect of using such links.

If someone posts a link as I showed above such as Open Carry Homepage and you want to know the link it refers to before clicking on it:

Put your mouse pointer over the blue highlighted text such that the text underlines

RIGHT click on the link and a drop down menu will pop-up

At the bottom of the drop down menu, at least in Firefox and IE, will be "Properties"

Click on "Properties" and the drop down window will close and a small pop-up window will open showing you the URL to which the link refers. It isn't a blind link as long as one uses the "Properties" function to determine the referred link.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Put your mouse pointer over the blue highlighted text such that the text underlines

RIGHT click on the link and a drop down menu will pop-up

At the bottom of the drop down menu, at least in Firefox and IE, will be "Properties"

Click on "Properties" and the drop down window will close and a small pop-up window will open showing you the URL to which the link refers. It isn't a blind link as long as one uses the "Properties" function to determine the referred link.
Mouse over the hyperlink and read the url in the status bar on the bottom left of the browser window.

deanf

imported post

Nice.

How 'bout a tutorial 'bout how not to quote a very long initial post with pics and the like, or a quote in a quote in a quote, with the same text and pics over and over and over again?

Have people no understanding of internet etiquette?

FogRider

imported post

deanf wrote:
Nice.

How 'bout a tutorial 'bout how not to quote a very long initial post with pics and the like, or a quote in a quote in a quote, with the same text and pics over and over and over again?

Have people no understanding of internet etiquette?
I've been simply deleting the extra quotes. Doesn't always coming out looking quite right, but it works.

Now, how do you embed youtube vids in a post?

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FogRider wrote:
Now, how do you embed youtube vids in a post?
Replace "VIDEO_ID" in the code below with the last part of the url for the youtube video.
Code:
[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/VIDEO_ID[/flash]

The example below is this is this youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk7LPklNFRw
Take the last part of the url and put it int he code:
Code:
[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/Gk7LPklNFRw&hl[/flash]
And viola
[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/Gk7LPklNFRw&hl[/flash]