Thread: Alligator terrorizes apartment complex, chomps down on officer

Post imported post

Alligator Chomps on Florida Deputy

Posted: May 16th, 2008 03:48 PM EDT

Story by local6.com

DELTONA, Fla. --

A sheriff's deputy was hospitalized after he was attacked and bitten by an aggressive 8-foot alligator that was menacing a Central Florida apartment complex.

Deputy Keith Baughman, 39, responded to calls of a large alligator loose in the parking lot of the Brightside Apartments located on Caribbean Street late Thursday.

Baughman and other deputies responded and found the alligator roaming the area.

The sheriff's office said the alligator lashed out and bit Baughman several times. However, witnesses said the deputy threw a towel on the alligator, jumped on its back and tried to wrestle it.

Baughman was thrown off the back and then bitten, witnesses said.

"His pants ripped up and blood was gushing out and everything," witness Carlos Martinez said. "He started limping away and the alligator was laughing at him. The dude then shot it twice in the head."

The Volusia County Sheriff's Office said a second officer, Deputy Jason Stickles, 27, shot the alligator repeatedly.

"I said, 'Don't shoot it,'" witness Jasmin Harris said. "Just wait until the animal people come out. I don't know why they shot it in the first place. They shouldn't have jumped on it. That wasn't their job."

The alligator was hit but did not die and continued to roam the apartment complex.

A trapper eventually came out and killed the animal with a bang stick.

Baughman was reported to be in stable condition at a hospital with injuries to his thigh and knee.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

This is a classic example on how not to handle an alligator call and it doesn't matter what happens,the policeare going to be wrong. Never jump on the back of an alligator would be a good lesson to start with.

A good many years ago our "pet" alligator had a clutch of about 30 babies all trapped in a spillway. I called the wildlife department to see what could be done about them as one alligator was enough for our small pond. The offcer on the other end basically said "This call is not being recorded and the best thing is for you and me to forget that you ever called us." In other words we are ups to our elbows in protected alligators already and don't need no more.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

"and the alligator was laughing at him..."

Alligators laugh?
    Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.

Post imported post

No, it was a big toothy grin...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Was gonna say, you've heard of the alligator roll?

This gives a whole new meaning to ROFL
    Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.

Post imported post

I think the deputy was watching too many old episodes of the crocodile hunter. Looks easy when done by a pro.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

One would think that a cop would be smart enough to realize that wrestling a large alligator like that is not for amateurs. Even guys that actually know what they are doing get bit now and then.

You have to wonder what would possess someone to do something that dumb, other than the old "seemed like the thing to do at the time".

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I guess the gator didn't consider it a lawful detention.

In the YouTube video, you can hear the gator demanding to know the officer's RAS.

The best part was when the cop demanded the gator's ID. The gator said, "I don't have any dammed pockets! Where do you think I'm carrying ID?"

It went down hill from there.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:

In the YouTube video, you can hear the gator demanding to know the officer's RAS.

The best part was when the cop demanded the gator's ID. The gator said, "I don't have any dammed pockets! Where do you think I'm carrying ID?"

Priceless!

Post imported post

I thought they had taken alligators of the endangered list. If not can't this cop face federal charges?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

CrossFire wrote:
    I thought they had taken alligators of the endangered list. If not can't this cop face federal charges?
    In which case the gator would be a toothier version of McGruff,

"Taking a bite out of crime."
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

He could carry his id in 'alligator wallet'.:celebrate

Post imported post

cvickers wrote:
    He could carry his id in 'alligator wallet'.:celebrate
    THANK YOU, for saying it first.... I've been fighting the temptation....

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:

Hilarious!!!! :P