• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scary encounter

metricinch

imported post

Just had a close call. On my way home from hanging out with a buddy.

There is a car parked on the left facing oncoming traffic with the lights on. There are a number of cars parked on the left of the street as well. I see some peds and slow down so I don't plow through any drunks.

A guy on the left side of the road puts his arms up almost like he is flexing his biceps but with his right hand making signs and had what looked to be a beer bottle in his left. He said some thing in a threatning tone while walking toward the car.

By now I have unholstered and am rolling down the window so I can hear what is being said. Another guy comes out from behind another car and asks something like "whats going on?"

I reply that the other guy is making threatning signs. "Naw man he just playin' with you." He said this because a Sherrif's officer was on the other side of the intersection.

As I rolled through the light I pointed in the direction of the guys to the officer, and even though he saw me, he turned.

I called non-emergency when I got home a few minutes later.

Man that got the blood pumping! I was about ready to run the red light. I think this was a case where a sheriff's officer being in the right place at the right time may have saved someone's life, be that mine or his.

More officers on the street is always a good thing, but I wouldn't trade it for having a weapon close at hand!!!

My hands are still shaking a bit!

Bear 45/70

imported post

metricinch wrote:
Just had a close call. On my way home from hanging out with a buddy.

There is a car parked on the left facing oncoming traffic with the lights on. There are a number of cars parked on the left of the street as well. I see some peds and slow down so I don't plow through any drunks.

A guy on the left side of the road puts his arms up almost like he is flexing his biceps but with his right hand making signs and had what looked to be a beer bottle in his left. He said some thing in a threatning tone while walking toward the car.

By now I have unholstered and am rolling down the window so I can hear what is being said. Another guy comes out from behind another car and asks something like "whats going on?"

I reply that the other guy is making threatning signs. "Naw man he just playin' with you." He said this because a Sherrif's officer was on the other side of the intersection.

As I rolled through the light I pointed in the direction of the guys to the officer, and even though he saw me, he turned.

I called non-emergency when I got home a few minutes later.

Man that got the blood pumping! I was about ready to run the red light. I think this was a case where a sheriff's officer being in the right place at the right time may have saved someone's life, be that mine or his.

More officers on the street is always a good thing, but I wouldn't trade it for having a weapon close at hand!!!

My hands are still shaking a bit!
I don't slow down for or talk toidiots, morons and drunks on the street.
rolleyes.gif

Bear 45/70

imported post

metricinch wrote:
you don't slow down for pedestrians? remind me not be on the streets when you are driving.
Nit wits waving gang sign with a beer in their handdo not qualify aspedestrians, they are either bangers or wannabes and in either case, the world will be a better place without them. You won't have needed to draw your weapon had you continued on your way and not rolled down your window to speak with them. You were inviting trouble rather than avoiding it. You need to rethink your tactics.
rolleyes.gif

CC27

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
metricinch wrote:
you don't slow down for pedestrians? remind me not be on the streets when you are driving.
Nit wits waving gang sign with a beer in their handdo not qualify aspedestrians, they are either bangers or wannabes and in either case, the world will be a better place without them. You won't have needed to draw your weapon had you continued on your way and not rolled down your window to speak with them. You were inviting trouble rather than avoiding it. You need to rethink your tactics.
rolleyes.gif
+1

metricinch

imported post

you guys are awesome!

Thanks for all your support and understanding in what could have been a bad place.

I really appreciate the creative criticisims about my lack of understanding tactics.

I whish i could have you guys with me all the time, just incase I need to be prepared to just blast through an area with people in it of an unkown intent.

:quirky

I am going to back to rebuilding my carb and letting you guys be tough on the internet.

Bear 45/70

imported post

metricinch wrote:
you guys are awesome!

Thanks for all your support and understanding in what could have been a bad place.

I really appreciate the creative criticisims about my lack of understanding tactics.

I whish i could have you guys with me all the time, just incase I need to be prepared to just blast through an area with people in it of an unkown intent.

:quirky

I am going to back to rebuilding my carb and letting you guys be tough on the internet.
You, by your actions creatre a situation where you felt you needed to draw your weapon, before there was a real threat, there by brandishing your weapon. This aint' TV or some movie, this is real life and you created the situation by not ignoring them. Learn from your mistakes, don't get huffy about it.

tjschul

imported post

I don't think that was brandishing at all, if the gun was unholstered and out of view, as mine would have surely been too.

No judgements from me...I wasn't there. Getting jacked is not unheard of in this day and age.

joeroket

imported post

Definately not brandishing if it was not shown or viewable in his hand by others.

Main Entry: brandish
1 :to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly
2 :to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner

Bear 45/70

imported post

metricinch wrote:
where did you learn how to read? Same place you learned how to spell?

did i once say i brandished?
You unholstered it and I know a guy that was charged with brandishing for that act alone. He drew the weapon and held it along side his leg muzzle down was all.

joeroket

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
metricinch wrote:

You unholstered it and I know a guy that was charged with brandishing for that act alone. He drew the weapon and held it along side his leg muzzle down was all.
Bear you should know that just because he was charged does not mean it actually was brandishing. Was he inside his car at the time?

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
metricinch wrote:

Bear you should know that just because he was charged does not mean it actually was brandishing. Was he inside his car at the time?
Standing next to a tree in his yard where only 3 of the people present could see the gun and he was charged and plea bargained it down to 4th degree assault.

joeroket

imported post

I don't know the exact circumstances of the incident but if all he did was unholster and hold it muzzle down next to his leg I think the assault 4 is a little out of line. Maybe the anticipatory of assault was more in line with it, but that may be far fetched also. Anyway a .270 violation or assault4 are the same level of offense.

You can see the difference between these two incidents with the car being involved to keep no one from seeing the firearm, which is the requirement for a .270 violation. If no one sees it then there is no way for alarm to be warranted.

compmanio365

imported post

I went through something similar, no beer bottle, but two guys trying to fight with me on the way to the train @ Dearborn and Maynard on Friday afternoon.....had to chase both off with my OC spray......3 minutes later 6 cop cars go screaming past towards where they had been when I chased them off........wonder if these are the same guys.......:shock:

Funny thing is there was an officer in his car right out in the street watching the whole thing, never stopped, never said anything......just random people in their cars were yelling at these guys while waiting for the light to "leave him alone", etc......I agree, I wouldn't trade my sidearm for a cop given the chance........

swillden

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
metricinch wrote:

In order for it to be brandishing it has to be possible for someone to SEE it. There's a huge difference between drawing while standing in the open and while inside your car, behind an opaque door.

Also, you need to re-read the original post. There were multiple people in the street, AND a red light. Your advice would have landed metricinch in jail on multiple counts of aggravated assault and/or manslaughter, not to mention a moving violation.

Bear 45/70

imported post

swillden wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
metricinch wrote:

In order for it to be brandishing it has to be possible for someone to SEE it. There's a huge difference between drawing while standing in the open and while inside your car, behind an opaque door.

Also, you need to re-read the original post. There were multiple people in the street, AND a red light. Your advice would have landed metricinch in jail on multiple counts of aggravated assault and/or manslaughter, not to mention a moving violation.
Then because he drew before there was any real problem they could have nailed him for setting a trap. It's been done before.

swillden

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
swillden wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
metricinch wrote:

Then because he drew before there was any real problem they could have nailed him for setting a trap. It's been done before.
First, what trap was he setting?

Second, what statute makes it illegal to "set a trap"?

Third, does that statute have penalties that are worse than the aggravated assault and potential manslaughter that you advocated? Oh, and the moving violation.