• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Strange OC at Food Lion

Kivuli

imported post

I was OCing at the Food Lion off MLK in Greensboro and pretty much no one gave me a glance until I got to the checkout. The young girl behind the checkout was nice and joked with me during the process but then, as I was leaving, asked me if I was a cop. I replied that I wasn't, and she then asked if I just had a license to carry a gun then. To which I replied that you don't actually need a license to carry a gun openly in North Carolina. She seemed very surprised by that, but wished me a very good day.

Here's where the wierd part comes in. I was carrying two twelve-packs of coke and a plastic bag with my left arm (weak side) and had just left the door headed to my car when a middle-aged woman sidled up to my strong side and said "'scuse-me-could-i-have-a-drink-i'm-so-thirsty". She was damn near pressed against my strong side and had a hand on my arm. I blinked at her a moment and said "What?". At this point I glanced around to make sure I wasn't being distracted and brushed my hand against my wallet to make sure she wasn't trying to pickpocket me, and she repeated what she said the first time. I was about to move away and ask her to please not get so close to me when she backed away of her own accord and, laughing, started walking away (presumably to her own car). She said to me "I'm just kidding, baby, I wanted to see how you'd react if I came up on you like a homeless person."

Well that just floored me. WHAT?! This has to be the strangest OC I've ever had.

EDIT: Changed place name. I was at a Food Lion, not a Wal-Mart. See how off it threw me? :p

Godscreation

imported post

I was going to reply with some pithy response, but I have no idea what to say. You probably won't get many responses from this post cuz it is very very strange. Good job checking your wallet though, and I assume you made sure she wasn't trying to slide you weapon out either. That would have been dumb on her part. Anyway you did well.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Kivuli wrote:
SNIP I was OCing at the Food Lion off MLK in Greensboro...
Somebody testing youover your gun.

An anti- ? A very smooth anti- ?

A CC'er? We know how some of themfeel about OC.

We would need more details. Exact tone of voice. Facial expression. Etc.

Oh, wait, I forgot one. It could have been a little like that OC'er in VA a few weeks ago. The one where a lady made a pass at the OC'er. His wife posted it.

Kivuli

imported post

You've got me. She was about a foot and a half shorter than me, and her facial expression was the same bland sort that panhandlers at street intersections have before, and she was smiling and laughing afterwards. When she asked the question she said it all as one sentence, hastily. Afterwards her tone suggested she was amused. And yes, I brushed my weapon as I moved for my wallet, though I was using a Blackhawk Serpa for retention.

I honestly don't know. It completely threw me for a loop, and still does. I can only come up with two possible reasons.

1. She wanted to see if she could make me draw on her by acting very uncomfortably towards me. I guess so she could call the cops or go on an anti-rant. Or hell, maybe even a racist one, for that matter. That area is predominately black, and I'm a white guy.

2. She WAS a panhandler or pickpocket, and tried to make a score on me. But when she saw me brush my wallet (and my weapon on the way) she decided I wasn't prey and tried to laugh it off as a "test to see how I'd react".

Weak 9mm

imported post

I agree, there is something very strange about that. Do you think she realized you had a weapon initially? Most people aren't so stupid as to do something like that to an armed individual simply because they wouldn't want to risk confusion and a bad reaction. That may be a good reason to think she really was an anti, or as you say, wanted to steal from you and then noticed that you were armed and were very aware that what she was doing was odd.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hmm, very odd indeed. Perhaps testing your "condition" by getting so close while at the same time not being a visible threat. Maybe your gun just turned her on!

Gunslinger

imported post

andrew wrote:
sorry if i sound dumb but whats oc ing?

Open carry--like the name of the forum...:what:

Weird encounter. She may have a few bricks short of a load, or may have been sizing you up for some bad doodoo. Anybody else in the area looking on? Years of karate training make me automatically take the quarter stance if someone comes near me under strange circumstances, carrying or not. Not a bad idea to turn the weak side towards the boggie, especially when carrying. Then, if they become a bandit, you have your pistol where you want it.