• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sen. Kennedy hospitalized with symptoms of stroke

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Its been a long time since the people of Mass. had to make a choice for this senate seat. If he should choose to resign this will be an interesting election to follow.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080517/D90NGLNO0.html

[font="Verdana,Sans-serif"] BOSTON (AP) - Sen. Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts was hospitalized Saturday after suffering stroke-like symptoms, according to a knowledgeable official.
There was no immediate word on his condition.
The official who provided the information declined to be identified by name, citing the sensitivity of the events.
Hyannis Fire Lt. Bill Rex told The Associated Press that a 911 call came in from the Kennedy family compound at 8:19 a.m. A man was transported to Cape Cod Hospital and transferred by air at 10:10 a.m. from Barnstable Municipal Airport to Massachusetts General Hospital.
[/font]

MetalChris

imported post

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Ted Kennedy. One of the best arguments for abortion I've ever heard.

Gotta wonder if Mary Jo Kopecney and her parents are jumping for joy with this news. (of course, Mary Jo died as a result of Teddy's deliberate failure to "save" her).

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
He's had the symptoms of a stroke for a loong time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroke#Signs_and_symptoms
LMAO :lol: That was funny, Doug!

I would like to say that I feel some sympathy but I can't muster it. That man is one of the leaders in the denying of freedom and liberty and the nation will be better off without him.

Mary Jo Kopechne was unavailable for comment.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

At the time that happened (Mary Jo's untimely death), I knew a girl who had worked for Robert Kennedy and then Ted Kennedy after Robert's death. Although she was invited to Chappaquiddick for that weekend's festivities, she did not go. She knew Mary Jo. All three of the political Kennedy brothers were no good as was their father. Perhaps the only decent one was Joe Jr. who was killed in the war.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

moz-screenshot.jpg
kennedy_absolut.jpg

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I heard Hillary on the radio today saying that no one has ever done more for the working man than Ted Kennedy. She mispoke, again...

What she meant to say was:

No one has ever done more TO the working man than Ted Kennedy.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Gee, that's too bad about Ted.

Just when I was getting used to him pandering in a heavy gringo accentto illegal aliens inSpanishand stifling the RTKABA, he off and has a Stroke so I cant make fun of him without feeling some pangs of guilt.

Eh screw it.

Now if he's slobbering and unintelligible, we cant blame it on the fact he's a boozehound politician.

Kharmas a bitch- we all get whats coming to us.

NowI've written this,I will probably be a paralyzed vegetable whose caretakers mock my incontinence and put out cigarettes on me.

Flintlock

imported post

It ended up not being a stroke after all. It was a seizure instead.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24680994

Kennedy hospitalized after seizure

76-year-old Democrat airlifted to hospital, undergoing tests and resting

The Associated Press
updated 3:06 p.m. AKT, Sat., May. 17, 2008

BOSTON - Edward Kennedy's primary care physician said the senator is "not in any immediate danger" after suffering a seizure at his Cape Cod home Saturday.

Dr. Larry Ronan said preliminary tests showed the 76-year-old Massachusetts Democrat has not suffered a stroke. Ronan said Kennedy was resting comfortably and would undergo further evaluation to determine the cause of the seizure.

Kennedy was flown to Massachusetts General Hospital on Saturday morning after being taken by ambulance from his home to Cape Cod Hospital.

"Senator Kennedy is resting comfortably, and it is unlikely we will know anything more for the next 48 hours," his spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter said.

Kennedy's wife, Victoria, his children and niece Caroline Kennedy were among those with him at the hospital.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, speaking at the Nevada Democratic Convention in Reno, said he spoke to Kennedy's wife Saturday afternoon and was told "his condition is not life-threatening, but serious."

"But the one thing I can say, if there ever was a fighter, anyone who stood for what we as Americans, we as Democrats, stand for, it's Ted Kennedy," Reid said.

Kennedy went to Cape Cod Hospital "after feeling ill at his home," Cutter said. After discussion with his doctors in Boston, Kennedy was taken to Massachusetts General.

Major neck artery blockage
In October, Kennedy had surgery to repair a nearly complete blockage in a major neck artery. The discovery was made during a routine examination of a decades-old back injury.

The hour-long procedure on his left carotid artery — a main supplier of blood to the face and brain — was performed at Massachusetts General. This type of operation is performed on more than 180,000 people a year to prevent a stroke.

The doctor who operated on Kennedy said at the time that surgery is reserved for those with more than 70 percent blockage, and Kennedy had "a very high-grade blockage."

Distinguishing between a seizure and TIA, often called a mini-stroke, can sometimes be difficult.

Seizures are little electrical storms in the brain. They tend to be brief; an occasional one can happen to anyone even without a prior history of seizures, especially if there has been some prior brain trauma.

A stroke is either ischemic — a clog in a blood vessel — or hemorrhagic, bleeding in the brain. Hemorrhagic ones are very rare. Kennedy had the carotid artery surgery to try to prevent the ischemic type.

A stroke kills brain tissue; how much depends on how big it is and how long it lasts. Some people show no lasting effects; others can be partly paralyzed on one side or somewhere in-between.

Democratic icon
Kennedy, the second-longest serving member of the Senate, was elected in 1962, filling out the term won by his brother, John F. Kennedy.

Kennedy is the lone surviving son in the famed family. His eldest brother, Joseph, was killed in a World War II airplane crash. President John Kennedy was assassinated in 1963 and his brother Robert was assassinated in 1968.

Kennedy is active for his age, maintaining an aggressive schedule on Capitol Hill and across Massachusetts.

He has been vocal in both his opposition to the Iraq war and support for Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama. He made several campaign appearances for the Illinois senator in February, and most recently another in April.

Always concerned about maintaining his health, Kennedy regularly consults with a battery of Massachusetts General doctors. It was during routine exams last year that doctors discovered the blockage in his carotid artery.

Still, he maintains homes in both Boston and Washington and attends not only official events, but numerous others recognizing his family's political history.

Just last week, he and his niece Caroline Kennedy awarded the annual "Profiles in Courage" award commemorating President Kennedy. And on Friday, he attended a ribbon cutting at the Bedford Whaling National Historical Park.

He was preparing to host the annual Best Buddies Challenge event on Saturday afternoon, a fundraiser for the Best Buddies organization founded by Anthony Kennedy Shriver that helps people with intellectual disabilities.

On Saturday, a Hyannis Fire Lt. Bill Rex said a 911 call came in from the Kennedy family compound at 8:19 a.m. A man was transported to Cape Cod Hospital and transferred by air at 10:10 a.m. from Barnstable Municipal Airport to Boston.

David Reilly, a spokesman for Cape Cod Hospital, confirmed Kennedy was brought to the hospital.

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and his wife, Maria Shriver, Kennedy's niece, said they appreciated all the messages of care they had received for the senator.

"It's always a comfort to the family to know that Sen. Kennedy is in the prayers of millions," their statement said.

Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, who went to the hospital, New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Obama said were offering their prayers for his quick recovery.

Obama, beginning a tour of hospitals in Eugene, Ore., told reporters that he had been in touch with the senator's family. He said, "We are going to be rooting for him. I insist on being optimistic about how it's going to turn out."

A man walking by Massachusetts General was startled by the news when he asked about the reason for the large media presence. "Ted? Is he all right? Jeez, I'm taken aback. I just saw him on television yesterday," said Jerry Leonard, 76.

"He's a Kennedy. His name is synonymous with this area," the retired bartender said. "I'm a Bostonian, too, and he's done a lot for us around here and for the senior citizens in particular."

Tabsr

imported post

I heard a medical report that Ted K problem was from a combination of vodka, gas and nocturnal emission.

Evil Ernie

imported post

"But the one thing I can say, if there ever was a fighter, anyone who stood for what we as Americans, we as Democrats, stand for, it's Ted Kennedy," Reid said after being extracted from Teddys pasty boil covered rectum...

In October, Kennedy had surgery to repair a nearly complete blockage in a major neck artery.

Cheeseburgers packed in shotglassesare a bitch when they get clogged in a neck artery...

Death tapped him on the shoulder with a bony finger and whispered with the voice of 100000 dead patriots "I'm comin Teddy, and I won't let you down easy...this is gonna sting alittle..."

Tyler

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Death tapped him on the shoulder with a bony finger and whispered with the voice of 100000 dead patriots "I'm comin Teddy, and I won't let you down easy...this is gonna sting alittle..."
^^^^^^^awesome^^^^^^^