• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave Longs Drugs

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Today I was open carrying at Longs Drugs. An employee approached me and asked me if I had a permit. I explained that a permit was only needed to carry concealed, and that in Nevada you could carry without one so long as it was not concealed. He then told me that no one in there store was allowed to carry a gun, and told me I had to leave.

When i got home, I went to the Longs Drugs website and left them this comment:

To Whom it may concern:
I was recently shopping at the Reno Nevada Longs Drugs at 900 E Plumb Ln, and I was told that I could not carry my gun at Longs Drugs. Is this your policy at Longs Drugs?

If this is your policy, I will no longer shop at any Longs Drugs store because I value my right to self-defense of myself and my family and will not disarm to enter your store. If it is your policy, I strongly hope that you will consider changing your policy. Not only will it allow people who carry guns to patronize your store, but in my opinion your current policy makes the store less safe for all of the customers and employees by prohibiting people from possessing firearms in your store. If criminals knew that everyone in the store was always unarmed, wouldn't they consider it an easy target? Someone intent on comitting violent crimes is not going to be deterred by the policy nor by any signs.

Thank you for taking the time to read my comment,
My Name.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Today I was open carrying at Longs Drugs. An employee approached me and asked me if I had a permit. I explained that a permit was only needed to carry concealed, and that in Nevada you could carry without one so long as it was not concealed. He then told me that no one in there store was allowed to carry a gun, and told me I had to leave.

When i got home, I went to the Longs Drugs website and left them this comment:

To Whom it may concern:
I was recently shopping at the Reno Nevada Longs Drugs at 900 E Plumb Ln, and I was told that I could not carry my gun at Longs Drugs. Is this your policy at Longs Drugs?

If this is your policy, I will no longer shop at any Longs Drugs store because I value my right to self-defense of myself and my family and will not disarm to enter your store. If it is your policy, I strongly hope that you will consider changing your policy. Not only will it allow people who carry guns to patronize your store, but in my opinion your current policy makes the store less safe for all of the customers and employees by prohibiting people from possessing firearms in your store. If criminals knew that everyone in the store was always unarmed, wouldn't they consider it an easy target? Someone intent on comitting violent crimes is not going to be deterred by the policy nor by any signs.

Thank you for taking the time to read my comment,
My Name.

What a fuckmouth. I hope you get a good response from Corporate. I was asked to leave the Sunflower Market here in Vegas, but that has been it.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I never have a problem at Walgreens or CVS. I think it's safe to assume most everyone here either avoids shopping in places where they risk being a defenseless victim, or they ignore the policy and shop until asked to leave. I'll avoid Long's for now.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I go to Wild Oats next to the Longs in Henderson and they never say anything about my pistol... Keep in mind that I also dress like a rock star too. Spikes, studs, chains, I have tattoos... etc.

Rains

imported post

Felid, I believe the issue here may be that the Longs store you cite is kiddy-corner to Wooster High school on Harvard and Plumb. I know that 4 years ago when I was a student there, that particular store had all manner of ridiculous rules (No more than 2 people under 18 in the store at a time, for example) which they backed up with the fact they are close to a school.

Im by no means trying to defend Longs Drugs here, but I do think that is the reason (albeit the wrong one) they asked you to leave. I dont shop at Longs, and after reading this, Im far more inclined to not shop there. Thanks for the info :)

P.S. - I'm willing to bet if we showed up there with 2 or more people, they would stay nice and quiet ;)

njeske

imported post

let's do it. i drive by there on my way to work just about every day. a couple days a week i stop on in to pick up a gatorade or some other beverage. i've always carried concealed, so i've never had any issues, but i'd be willing to open carry there with a couple other people.

Rains

imported post

Im game and Im open on Friday afternoon at whatever time if we want to just go get this done. If thats a bit too soon (completely understandable), just lemme know what days and times work for everyone and we can roll on over there and shop it up, since I actually do need to buy some things. Besides, its always good to be paying customers :p

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Since they already asked me to leave once for having a gun, wouldn't I be tresspassing if I returned?

I basically said I wouldn't shop there again when he told me to leave. I've got no problems with coming back though, personally.

jfrey123

imported post

Since they already asked me to leave once for having a gun, wouldn't I be tresspassing if I returned?
Yep.

We already know this store is anti-gun, and they have a right to bar open carry in their own place of business. If you show up, and the same person recognizes you, you'd be in a world of hurt.

I'd also hate to see the response from police. Say they do recognize you, and get the impression you brought a bunch of your armed buddies down to be spiteful or prove a point. They call the cops, cops agree, and take us all down for 'Disturbing the Peace' or something simlar.

I'm new, so feel free to put me in my place, but business' have their rights just as much as we do. There's a difference between walking down the street and shopping on their property. An armed coup by a person they've recently evicted from the premises might not to over too well...

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
Yep.

We already know this store is anti-gun, and they have a right to bar open carry in their own place of business. If you show up, and the same person recognizes you, you'd be in a world of hurt.

I'd also hate to see the response from police. Say they do recognize you, and get the impression you brought a bunch of your armed buddies down to be spiteful or prove a point. They call the cops, cops agree, and take us all down for 'Disturbing the Peace' or something simlar.

I'm new, so feel free to put me in my place, but business' have their rights just as much as we do. T
here's a difference between walking down the street and shopping on their property. An armed coup by a person they've recently evicted from the premises might not to over too well...

If the police show up, don't answer ANY questions. Show ID as required to the POLICE but never volunteer any such information to security, store, etc. Last, if the police ask you whether you've been told this information, don't lie to them, and instead don't answer the question.

Next, we don't know the store is anti-gun, only the one employee. That employee may or may not have the authority to set such a policy. Assume he does, it's his word against yours about the context of the first conversation you had, or even if you had one. DON'T ADMIT TO IT AND DON'T LIE IN CASE IT'S ON TAPE. Instead, politely refuse to answer any questions.

Nothing you say will help you and you only risk hurting your situation. You're going to be instructed at this point that you're trespassing if you come back. Fine. Admit any foreknowledge of the policy, or lack thereof, etc, and you risk confessing to a crime. Of course, always ask if you're being detained, and if not, whether you're free to go. If you are, leave and don't look back. Buckle your seat belt and obey the traffic laws. ;-)

Last, you're not required to sign anything from the store. So don't. The police may "suggest" you do so, insist your attorney review it first. Can't argue with that.

I'm not advocating disrepect at any step of this. Polite refusals are the way to go. They may make you LOOK like you're hiding something, that's OK...you're allowed to remain silent. Act like an arrogant asshole, risk irritating the cop into returning the attitude.

If the store tells you again to leave, or says they called the cops, immediately vacate. Don't wait around or argue your point. You won't win.

Now all that being said, I wouldn't go back. Forget them, there's plenty of other honest businesses in town happy to have your business.

Rains

imported post

Very good points indeed, but I believe Felid is the only member here who has been asked to leave that store. Which is fine, and doesnt bar any of the rest of us from giving it a shot. Ive never been asked to leave there, so until I am once, Im not tresspassing. If they want to ask me to leave, thats fine, and I know that is their right and I respect that. Im more curious as to wether they asked Felid to leave because he looked young and was open carrying, or because they just flat dont allow any firearms in the store.

njeske, this may be risky for you if you find that store convenient for shopping (which I can understand), but at the same time, theres 1 thing you have that Felid and I dont. CCW! If asked if you have a permit, you can truthfully answer yes, which may put the employee in a position where they have a choice: Let both (or more) open carriers into the store, or bar everyone from open carrying, CCW or otherwise.

Just let me know what all you guys are still thinking about this idea. Im still game, so if anyone else is willing to venture off with me, let me know! :)

jfrey123

imported post

I want to clear up my opinion a bit. I'm only worried about Field since he's already been asked to leave. Store employee recognizes him, and things get way complicated real quick (as demonstrated in Tim's post).

I agree that a group doing open carry into the store isn't a bad idea. As long as it's done politely and not as a 'Screw you storeowner, OC is supposed ot be illegal'.

I'm just new to this board, and might've been worried that we might get a little huffy when people don't respect our carry pieces...

njeske

imported post

Rains wrote:
njeske, this may be risky for you if you find that store convenient for shopping (which I can understand), but at the same time, theres 1 thing you have that Felid and I dont. CCW! If asked if you have a permit, you can truthfully answer yes, which may put the employee in a position where they have a choice: Let both (or more) open carriers into the store, or bar everyone from open carrying, CCW or otherwise.

Just let me know what all you guys are still thinking about this idea. Im still game, so if anyone else is willing to venture off with me, let me know! :)

No real risk for me. There's plenty of places in the area for me to pickup gatorade or diet pepsi. :)

to quell some concerns, this would defenitely be a friendly outing. we wouldn't be going with the intent of causing trouble. just trying to see if we also get asked to leave, or at least to show that legally armed people aren't a threat.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
I want to clear up my opinion a bit. I'm only worried about Field since he's already been asked to leave.

Yeah, I won't be going. I don't want to trespass. Good luck to njeske and Rains. I anticipate the report.

Rains

imported post

Aye, I am fully with Njeske and also want to clarify that this is an educational outing, not a spiteful one. I open carry so people will ask and then in turn they can learn and understand, and as a result, I think that makes the country a better and safer place. I would never carry to promote vindictiveness (is that a word?) of any kind.

Im more curious as to wether Felid was asked to leave because of his age appearence. Since I consider myself to be 'younger' (22 as of April), this is a way for me to see if they ask armed customers to leave based on age, or if they simply ask all openly armed customers to leave, no exception.

If we are asked to leave, that is well and fine and I will be out of there in the amount of time it takes me to get to the door. I respect the property of others, and since I expect someone in my house to get the hell out when I tell them to, I will surely get out of Longs if they tell me to.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wish I was there gents, I would have already OC'ed there by now, recorder and all.

My advice would be OC there because it's your right to until told otherswise, not for any other reason. If corporate wants to play the "It's our store - no OC game" let them. You inform them that you'll be playing the "It's my money and I'll shop elsewhere (and tell all my friends to also) game" and that they're now one of the first on the area's"Gun Unfriendly" list on OCDO.

They don't care about you, just your money. Make sure YOUR money is heard.