• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any cowboy shooters in this state??

Marco

imported post

WhenI first got into SASS/CAS I started with borrowed guns, wasn't sure I was going to like it enough to make the investment.

1) Winchester 1897shotgun
2) Winchester 1892, pistol & rifle caliber
3) A pair of Ruger Black Hawks

After shooting CAS for awhile I took the plunge.
This is what I finally settled on.

1) IGA/Stoeger Coach gun in 12ga (can only load two at a time regardless of action type)
2) Winchester 1894 rifle in 45LC (imho, superior to 73,74 and 92 design)
3) a pair a Vaqueros in 45LC
4) Marlin 1895 in 45-70
5)Iver Johnson DA pocket pistol in 32H&R magnum(for pocket pistol), shot it with 32 shorts.

I picked these guns because they are robust and will hold up to alot of shooting with minimal if any down time.

The other designs I found prone to breakage or needed a little too much gunsmithing to make them just right.

My guns received a poor mans action job (lube and alot of shooting)and that is it.

[line]

There are other options now a days, not available when I got into the game.

The Norinco copies of the Winchester 1887/1897 shotguns are excellent.
The Taurus copy of the Colt Lighting rifles (recently reintroduced) appears to have promise, just hope they hold up better then the original.

Beretta, Uberti, Navy Arms and a few others make good guns for the CAS sport.
As for authentic clothing there isa local lady that is awesome.
I can't remember her Alias but her Husbands Alias is English Andy (former pres. NV Rangers)and he shoots with NV Rangers.

I started my shooting with Silver City Shooters when Silver City Slim and Port Rockwell ran the club and when Hick was pres. of NV Rangers.

SCS turned the club over to Oklahoma just as I was getting out of CAS.
I attended End of Trail twice opting not to shot but volunteer.

What club are you planning on shooting with?

The Gun Store has a few employee's that are current/former CAS shooters aswell as Master Shooter's Supply.

I found SASS/CAS shooters to be great people and I'm proud to call many of them friends.
Good luck hope this helps.

A few shooter's have put away their six guns and have taken up Vintage BoltAction Rifle/VBAR.

Edit:
typo's

Marco

imported post

Might, I suggest buying some factory Cowboys loads in .38, 45LC, 30-30, 45-70 or whatever caliber and attend a match.
Winchester's AAA shotgun loads are light recoiling and plenty powerful enough to knock down steel targets.
CAS shooters are friendly, someone will usually be more than happy to loan you a gun as long as you aren't shooting homebrew (reloads) in their guns.

http://www.cabelas.com/information/HuntingOptics/UltramaxCowboyLoads.html

Edit:

Link added