• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A couple questions - for someone who can help

Guest1650

imported post

Hey, Ive lurked this forum for a while now, mainly to get information.

My names phil, and i currently have a ' PENDING' cpl? I applied at the centralia police department, as i live in city limits, it's been approx. 28 days now-Yesterday, i went in to ask if it had come in, and apparently from what the desk clerck told me it was' pending' I asked her why, as i have no 'criminal' -type record. other than traffic offenses. that are all paid, and never a warrant.

Ive already purchased a pistol. and Have also been int he military for 3 going on 4 years now. When i filled out the paper work. I left no spot blank. or question un-answered. has this sort of situation happend with any of you?

Also. I have a couple contacts that are employed officers here in town. Out of curiosity, i asked about open carry, and how a centralia police officer usually handles the situation as it could happen on a day to day basis. his response was

'First, we would draw our weapons, you would be told to get on the ground, because you would obviously be causing some sort of alarm,you would be taken into custody, and givin the chance to explain it to a courtroom at a later date'

obviously this is not the correct way to handle this.. is there a further step i should take on either subject. from here on out?

thanks in advance

gsx1138

imported post

phil teters wrote:
Hey, Ive lurked this forum for a while now, mainly to get information.

My names phil, and i currently have a ' PENDING' cpl? I applied at the centralia police department, as i live in city limits, it's been approx. 28 days now-Yesterday, i went in to ask if it had come in, and apparently from what the desk clerck told me it was' pending' I asked her why, as i have no 'criminal' -type record. other than traffic offenses. that are all paid, and never a warrant.

Ive already purchased a pistol. and Have also been int he military for 3 going on 4 years now. When i filled out the paper work. I left no spot blank. or question un-answered. has this sort of situation happend with any of you?

Also. I have a couple contacts that are employed officers here in town. Out of curiosity, i asked about open carry, and how a centralia police officer usually handles the situation as it could happen on a day to day basis. his response was

'First, we would draw our weapons, you would be told to get on the ground, because you would obviously be causing some sort of alarm,you would be taken into custody, and givin the chance to explain it to a courtroom at a later date'

obviously this is not the correct way to handle this.. is there a further step i should take on either subject. from here on out?

thanks in advance

I haven't been here long enough to give you specific advice other than to say if they actually did that then I hope their insurance covers lawsuits.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Write a cover letter to the chief of police explaining what you were told. Briefly explain that OC is legal in Washington State. Attach one of our pamphlets and several of the training bulletins. Recommend, for the safety of everyone involved,that his training personnel publish a bulletin of their own. Let us knowthe response you receive from the chief.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Yup what Ajetpilot said. That is seriously screwed up, and a good way for the city to get sued!

As far as your CPL goes, they have up to 30 days to get it to you.

Oh yes, Welcome!

Guest1650

imported post

Thank you for the replys. I have a paphlet stating the rcw's and what not. So Ill take it in and try to get in tou touch with the chief.afterall i have to go pick up my cpl. anyways.(requested them not mail it, somones been messing with my mail lately)

anyways.. yeah. Being told i would be drawn on, and forced to drop would seriously piss of the normal person.

Not to mention, im in uniform half the time, that would be pretty damn embarassing.

anyways. from what ive read. not alot of OC'ers in centralia, but. im going to give them some copys of the more recently published training bullitens.

thanks again.

Agent 47

imported post

I have found that a lot of officers who are asked this question will spouta load of BS like this. When their job is actually on the line however they usually tread a little softer and try and stay within the law ( or more precisely try and push it as far as they think they can get away with ) I actually had an officer tell me almost word for word what the officer told you when I asked him about OC only to have him later come back and admit that he had read the laws and realized he was wrong.

Guest1650

imported post

Okay, so i got up early this morning and printed off all of the washington state training bullitens i could find that regurds the open carry subject. I took them to my neighbors house. as he works at the department. He said that he will personally get them to the supervisors first thing tomorrow morning.

He also told me that we should arrange an open carry outing, or lunch here. to more or less' make the community, as well as LEO's aware that this is infact an open carry state.

wether or not this 'outing' would be in centralia. is dependent on who would be able to make it. so if anyone is interested. let me know.

thanks again.

-phil teters

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I asked a similar question of our local police officer (yea, our one officer, lol) and received a friendly grin and a "yea, its legal, and no big deal, but we don't usually see it." He didn't seem to care if one open carried and understood the law completely. I was in his office registering my latest CC pistol purchase. It is a small town, and I have come to know him in an "aquantince fashion" from registering handguns and being involved in the local community as a volunteer. Even being such a small town and being the single LEO in the community besides county and state forces, he was well aware of the regs and well informed. Course, this is northern Michigan and there aren't too many anti-gun folks around luckily.

Agent 47

imported post

phil teters wrote:
He also told me that we should arrange an open carry outing, or lunch here. to more or less' make the community, as well as LEO's aware that this is infact an open carry state.

wether or not this 'outing' would be in centralia. is dependent on who would be able to make it. so if anyone is interested. let me know.

thanks again.

-phil teters

Holy Crap! That is an awesome response, I would take him up on the offer.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
phil teters wrote:

thanks again.

-phil teters

Holy Crap! That is an awesome response, I would take him up on the offer.
This is scary! I agree with Agent 47......Did I really say that? I will be there for your OC event also. I get down that way at least once a month as my quad dealer is in Chehalis.

Guest1650

imported post

Ill check with him, and see where he suggests. And let you all know.

Like i said.. time frame , is dependent on who may, or may not be able to make it.

Phssthpok

imported post

I'm glad somebody else fielded the idea of a centraila meet, since there is a certain place I'd just LOVE to go to. The Country Cousin.

It's a decent place with a decidedly down-home/western farm theme to it. Pretty decent food and a fair price. But what I'm really interested in the the sign (which is simply there as part of the decor) asking patron to "check all guns at the front desk"!

I could just see a dozen guys walking in, pausing at the sign, then looking around for the person they are supposed to 'check' their gun in with.:p

I'm sure they're be a bit of :what: on the part of the restaurant.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
I'm glad somebody else fielded the idea of a centraila meet, since there is a certain place I'd just LOVE to go to. The Country Cousin.

It's a decent place with a decidedly down-home/western farm theme to it. Pretty decent food and a fair price. But what I'm really interested in the the sign (which is simply there as part of the decor) asking patron to "check all guns at the front desk"!

I could just see a dozen guys walking in, pausing at the sign, then looking around for the person they are supposed to 'check' their gun in with.:p

I'm sure they're be a bit of :what: on the part of the restaurant.
I hit the Country Cousin about every other trip thru Centralia/Chehalis area. Great food, lots of it and at a good price too.

Guest1650

imported post

Well, i think it's only fair we do it there then! my girlfriend works there, haha. i could probably get us all a deal , either way. Ill ask her what the policy is, im sure it's alright, as ive OC'd there before.;)

just_a_car

imported post

Even though it's quite the drive for me up here (and for others: Agent 47, Lonnie, etc) I know I'm more than willing to make the trip down there to show up for such a warm welcome from a LEO; both out of respect and appreciation for his knowledge of the law and that "bad guys" aren't (normally) going to OC.

Guest1650

imported post

there is a few parks, borst is the oldest. and i think most populated with many shelters.. And i have never noticed a 'no firearms' type posting, Im there often as i usually run my pt test for the army there.

Schaefer park. Off the 507. alittle out of the way, and most likely not populated at all, lot's of fun trails.

and last but not least. riverside park. Home to centralia skatepark. Lot's of people, a shelter..a river, and many kids. Although i am NOT sure of the 'laws' in any of the above listed. It would be a good spot to meet up.

for those of you who know the area borst. and riverside.. less than a 1/4 mile from the exit on I-5. (exit 82)

this get together could be a good opprotunity, to spread the awareness to the locals here,not to mention.. I know im not the only person to carry.. Pamphlets would be nice to hand out, aswell.

Decoligny

imported post

phil teters wrote:
Not to mention, im in uniform half the time, that would be pretty damn embarassing.

Hopefully you are not intending to open carry while in uniform. That could get you into all kinds of trouble with your chain of command as you aren't usually allowed to carry a firearm while in uniform unless it is for official military business.

Decoligny, TSgt, USAF (Retired)