Thread: open carry while fishing?

Post imported post

Are there any laws against open carry in local parks/lakes? Since I don't have a fishing buddy yet and I'm going to be trying out new, possibly isolated areas, I would like to carry my gun. Are there any laws reguarding carry in parks? Am I safe unless it is a national park? I'll probably carry concealed, but it'll probably be more comfortable open. Anyways, thanks a lot in advance, I've been looking up laws, and im pretty sure its only national parks I have to worry about, but I want to double check.

Anyways, if there are any fishers in charlottesville that want to meetup sometime, I'd be down.

Post imported post

scarletwahoo wrote:
    Are there any laws against open carry in local parks/lakes? Since I don't have a fishing buddy yet and I'm going to be trying out new, possibly isolated areas, I would like to carry my gun. Are there any laws reguarding carry in parks? Am I safe unless it is a national park? I'll probably carry concealed, but it'll probably be more comfortable open. Anyways, thanks a lot in advance, I've been looking up laws, and im pretty sure its only national parks I have to worry about, but I want to double check.

Anyways, if there are any fishers in charlottesville that want to meetup sometime, I'd be down.
    Burke Lake Park in Fairfax County is run by Fairfax County Park Authority, however Burke Lake itself belongs to VA and therefore no OC, however CC is ok with a permit. Just check for situations where the county/local deals with the land around the lake and the commonwealth deals with the lake itself.

happy carrying

jason

Post imported post

While I mainly fish public piers I have had no issues with OC'ing on them. I have seen several folks OC at the CBBT pier over the last 2 years.
    AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011
    TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011-?
    Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy
    Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

I know you asked about lakes, but just in case you also fish the Potomac be aware that the river belongs to Maryland, and if you use a boat you are under their jurisdiction, so don't carry a gun.

Post imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
    I know you asked about lakes, but just in case you also fish the Potomac be aware that the river belongs to Maryland, and if you use a boat you are under their jurisdiction, so don't carry a gun.
    NOT a true statement. The entire Potomac river does NOT fall in Maryland. Your specific location along the river will determine whether you are in VA, WV, MD, or DC. If you are venturing out to a location on the Potomac, you should consult a good map to determine exactly which jurisdiction you are in.

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    OC-Glock19 wrote:
    NOT a true statement. The entire Potomac river does NOT fall in Maryland. Your specific location along the river will determine whether you are in VA, WV, MD, or DC. If you are venturing out to a location on the Potomac, you should consult a good map to determine exactly which jurisdiction you are in.
    Bayboy42 is correct. Generally, the state line between Maryland and Virginia along the Potomac river hugs the Virginia shoreline, with occasional deviations for small bays and coves where the water belongs to Virginia. However, if you venture into open water, chances are that you're entering "The Free State."

Post imported post

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/lee.shtml

Leesylvania State Park in VA has a fishing pier. It has a little sign where MD meets VA.

I used to have a picture, if I can find it again I will post it.

Post imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
    bayboy42 wrote:
    OC-Glock19 wrote:
    Bayboy42 is correct. Generally, the state line between Maryland and Virginia along the Potomac river hugs the Virginia shoreline, with occasional deviations for small bays and coves where the water belongs to Virginia. However, if you venture into open water, chances are that you're entering "The Free State."
    Good point! Very True.