• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trip - Cross-Country OC Log

denwego

imported post

With my wife and I having gotten married one week ago tomorrow, we're off moving to Virginia Beach already! I decided I'd OC as much as possible during the trip thanks to the forecast of nice weather, as well as a good number of varying states to get through via car. And with us having our dog with us, we stop roughly every 1.5-2 hours to walk him, so we get to see big and small towns alike. Since this covers a big swath of the country and there's no national carry forum, I'm posting it here rather than making a half-dozen mirrored threads everywhere.

Day 1

Boulder, CO - OC'd to get the pooch from the vet/groomers; nothing to report.

Superior, CO - OC'd while getting gas at the Costco about 10 miles south of Boulder, yet again nothing to report.

Limon, CO - OC'd to walk the dog and stretch the legs at a gas station, boring again!

Goodland, KS - OC'd to walk the dog and refill the gas tank, then went into the Subway at the truck stop to get some lunch. We passed a Goodland PD officer on the way in, who held the door for my wife and smiled at me :lol:

Hays, KS - OC'd to walk the dog, nothing to report.

Salina, KS - We checked in at our hotel around 9pm. Since it was cooler by then, and I had no other real way to carry my jacket, I CC'd back to the room. After we were settled, my wife was hungry, so SHE OC'd on foot several blocks to go grab some Wendy's for dinner (no CHP for her yet) ! She said the teenage girl who took her order seemed off about it, but since it was the first time she had OC'd on her own outside of her home state of Nevada, I think it was just her nerves. After that, we ate a humorously-acquired burger and hit the hay.

Day 2 - Started off CC'ing again under the jacket in the cold morning to check out and fill up the tank again.

Unknown Unincorporated Place between Grand Junction and Topeka - The dog threw up in the car, so we pulled off on a country road exit to clean up. No one was around, but it counts!

Topeka, KS - Since Kansas preemption is unclear about OC'ing and I knew Topeka had a no-OC ordinance, I CC'd for gas. My wife went into the store and told me there were not one but two gun-buster signs on the door and yet two more by the counter and the restrooms... lovely. Won't be stopping there again.

Odessa, MO - We stopped for more gas and decided to go to Sonic for lunch. While she was walking the dog, I hoped on my phone and checked the Odessa muni. code for OC bans and found none, so I OC'd while sitting on one of the Sonic's outdoor benches instead of suffering another meal in the car. Carhop came by twice to see if we needed ketchup or napkins (a first in its own right!), but otherwise totally boring.

Wentzville, MO - Stopped to lock up the pistol in the trunk for the sojourn through Illinois :cuss:

Elberfeld, IN - Since my wife agrees with me that there's no damned way we're ever setting an unnecessary foot in Illinois, we drove straight through and stopped at the first good-looking hotel in Indiana, here in Elberfeld. Because Indiana recognizes all other states' permits "subject to the restrictions or limitations thereof", I'm playing my cards on the safe side and keeping my pistol concealed in Indiana since I have a Colorado CHP, and not a LTCF like some other states. I personally believe "restrictions" here means something like the qualified/unlimited permit distinction in Indiana, but I can't be the test case on a tight schedule!

More tomorrow!

denwego

imported post

Phew! We've been in VA Beach for a few days now, but I've just had a moment to pop into a Starbucks to get some internet access... our cable modem isn't set to be connected until Saturday thanks to a screw-up at the NEX. But it's been a great few days here!

DAY 3

Elberfeld, IN - Went out to the Denny's to get some breakfast while CC'ing.

Lexington, KY - OC'd while pumping gas and walking the pooch, along with grabbing a snack at the truck stop.

Somewhere to the east of Huntington, WV - OC'd to walk the dog, then to put the pistol in the trunk while driving through Charleston (unclear about non-CHP car carry in the area with the grandfathered OC ban)

Beckley, WV - Retrieved my pistol to OC again while pumping gas, and struck up a friendly conversation with some of the locals about OC'ing with support all around.

Lexington, VA - We stopped for the night rather than slug all the way to the coast in a day; we stayed at the Holiday Inn near VMI and ate dinner nearby at the Applebee's, all without a second glance. Next time I'll have to stop by the local Stonewall Jackson museum to look around... he is my great-great-great-grandfather, after all! :cool:

DAY 4

East of Richmond, VA - Walked the dog yet again.

VA Beach - Moved in, unpacked what was in the car, etc etc!

SINCE THEN

I've obviously been OC'ing ever since we got here, since my CO permit's no good and I haven't had the time to get a VA driver's license, let alone start the paperwork on a resident CHP yet. We've been to Target a half-dozen times, the local Krogers, Carrabba's for dinner last night, and now the Starbucks here by the Lynnhaven Mall.

As an added bonus, while I've been sitting here typing, two local VA Beach cops have come in on two separate occasions without batting an eye, and as I'm sitting right by the door, there's no way they could've missed me. And while I was in line for coffee, I struck up a conversation with a woman who OC's a Serbu Shorty on her motorcycle and loves OC'ing in Virginia (and of course, I told her about OCDO!)

And that's it!