Thread: Worried about gun being taken from you by BG?

Post imported post

Greetings!

I live in FL, so, sadly, I am unable to OC at the moment. However, I am curious, in a crowded situation (standing in line, crowded store, blue light special sales, etc), are you at all concerned about someone taking your gun out of your holster while Open Carrying? Do you use special retention holsters to prevent this?

Post imported post

HeWhoShoots wrote:
    Greetings!

I live in FL, so, sadly, I am unable to OC at the moment.* However, I am curious, in a crowded situation (standing in line, crowded store, blue light special sales, etc), are you at all concerned about someone taking your gun out of your holster while Open Carrying?* Do you use special retention holsters to prevent this?
    Over the years I have ended up buying many holsrers. Gee at least 5 per gun.

Of those holsters all that I use, any more, have come sort of retention.

Most forms of retention are such that they are not easily disengaged, by anyone but the person carrying the gun.

However, situation awarness is paramount, when ever you carry a gun in any manner.

Tarzan

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

HeWhoShoots wrote:
    Greetings!

I live in FL, so, sadly, I am unable to OC at the moment. However, I am curious, in a crowded situation (standing in line, crowded store, blue light special sales, etc), are you at all concerned about someone taking your gun out of your holster while Open Carrying? Do you use special retention holsters to prevent this?

Welcome to OCDO.

Not particularly concerned in line any more than anywhere else. I just keep alert the world around me. If someone I'm not comfortable with gets close behind me in line, or anywhere else, I shift my stance so my gun isn't quite so easy to reach.

I doubt that much effort is really necessary. I consider that I'm just being super-cautious for my own peace of mind.

I do have basic retention on myholster.

I think we've got two reports of civilian gun-grabs, and for sure one has been debunked. Its just not something that is happening with enough frequency to be a big enough risk to worry about too much. Just play it smart, don't start day-dreaming, or go off in your ownworld mentally.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

HeWhoShoots wrote:
    Greetings!

Welcome to OCDO. I have always been a fan of cross-draw fasion. I oc a Taurus PT92 and I wear it on my left side, just off the hip over the left jean pocket. Fast and easy to draw, but virtualy impossible to be grabbed from behind or anywhere else for that matter. It also makes a nice arm rest while standing in line-- waiting, waiting--------

ooops, forgot to add, also in that position, to cc, all I have to do is pull out my shirt and it covers the gun completely. Can't really see the buldge (kinda fits in with my SPARE TIRE profile)

Post imported post

Thanks for the replies all

The cross-draw option seems like a good idea. If FL ever gets OC, or I move somewhere that has it, I'll keep that in mind

Post imported post

Not so much worried that a BG will take my weapon as I am about the police. To date, they are the only parties that have made an effort to deprive me.

I carry in a retention holster and maintain a wary look out of those in arms reach.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

I prefer to OC with a retention holster of some kind ie something beyond just friction holding the pistol in the holster. I usually carry in a Blackhawk CQC SERPA level II (as designated by Blackhawk - I say that HeWhoShoots because there is debate as to whether or not the holster is really a level II).

I did not like crowded situations even as a child so, even before I was concerned at all with self-defense or 2A issues, I avoided crowded situations. I carry in the 2-4 o' clock strong side position depending on what I am doing and what I'm wearing and which holster I am usuing. All of my carry holsters can be adjusted a bit forward and back along my waist while wearing them. If I find myself in a crowded situation or am anticipating a crowded situation, I'll slide the holster towards the 2 o'clock position where I can more easily protect it from an attempted grab.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
    HeWhoShoots wrote:
    Greetings!

Over the years I have ended up buying many holsrers. Gee at least 5 per gun.

Of those holsters all that I use, any more, have come sort of retention.

Most forms of retention are such that they are not easily disengaged, by anyone but the person carrying the gun.

However, situation awarness is paramount, when ever you carry a gun in any manner.

Tarzan
    Absolutely spot on correct.
    Amen.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

HeWhoShoots wrote:
    Greetings!

I have a level II retention ALS holster by Safariland. I had one of my friend try to take my (unloaded) G19 from the holster while I stood there and did nothing. He had never seen the ALS hoslters and it took him abouta minute. Now if my life was in danger, that would be a VERY stabbed/cut up dirtbag by the timea minutes had passed. Even if you know how to unlock the ALS, Im confident I cout ventilate a person's throat before the weapon cleared the holster.

Post imported post

Keep your strong side clear, stay alert, and buy a SERPA!

Post imported post

I'm not concerned. I usually stay away from crowded areas. But if it comes to that I just lean on my pistol a bit, since it is holstered slightly forward of my hip.

Post imported post

ScottyT wrote:
    Keep your strong side clear, stay alert, and buy a SERPA!
    Doesn't do me any good. There is no SERPA, Blackhawk, Uncle Mikes or any other retention rig for a CZ 82.

Post imported post

1. No

2. Yes

As others have stated previously, retension and siutational awareness are paramount.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.